Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Default Looking for a land owner perspective on seeking permission

I've been hunting for a few years now. I spent 2 years target shooting my rifles before I took my hunting test. I've always been a respectful backwoods person and safety was big for me. What I have come to realize is that public leases with permission, crown land, etc. are just not safe places to hunt anymore. Last year I got scoped twice, reported a group of poachers and had to deal with other hunters baiting deer. Things I want nothing to do with.

A friend of mine has permission on a private section that no one else is allowed to hunt on and the surrounding farms are all private with no permission either. It is so nice to hunt there and it feels much safer. We agreed this year to make a strong effort to secure additional permissions on private land. Not having the privilege of owning lands where people can hunt I don't know all the ins and outs of what it's like to have hundreds of people constantly contacting you for permission. Rude people, nice people, people that get told no but keep coming back...

My question for land owners and even other hunters who have dealt with seeking hunting permission in secluded areas with private landowners is:

"What is a respectful and effective way to approach a private individual regarding permission to hunt for the upcoming season"

I'm more of a face to face guy. I like to drop off a business card, contact sheet and have a cup of coffee with folks so they can ask questions and get to know me a little but... how do landowners feel about that? Some stranger driving onto their place banging on their door and introducing themselves?

From the hunters perspective I want to establish a relationship with the landowner. I consider any permission given to private land is really a privilege and adds a layer of responsibility to the hunter since this stranger whose land you are hunting on is putting their trust in you to respect their land, hunt ethically, safely and generally not be an ass. (Less and less common unfortunately)

Looking for feedback guys. Landowners feel free to PM me if you like. I know this subject gets beaten to death so if you aren't want to post a big rant on this thread happy to hear your thoughts in a PM

Thanks one and all. Hoping you all have a safe and good season.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:12 AM

Just be respectful. Do not ask the wife if the boss is around, have a firm handshake, eye contact. If they are busy leave your card and tell them you will come back or offer to help them.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:23 AM

From your post, I would say half the "battle" is already won for you. By that I mean that you seem to understand the RESPECT part of any relationship. You also have a good handle on things by wanting face to face time.

As for tips.

1) Don't wear camo when meeting a landowner for the first time.
2) Take off sunglasses when talking.
3) Ask if you can pet the dog.
4) Drive slow to not put up dust.
5) If you have other permissions near by, mention that. These landowners talk!
6) Even if the answer is NO, I usually ask if they want me to report any suspicious activity if I see it on their land while I am hunting near by land. I mean it when I ask and that seems to get their attention. It has led to getting permission in future years.
7) Don't ask to hunt that day!
8) Some landowners have a limit of how many hunters they allow each year. If they are at that limit for this year, ask when a good time to come back next year would be.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Great post and tips for us newer hunters...Keep them coming.
Thanks for the inputs so far.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:44 PM

Want to say thank you for the responses and advice guys. I'm really trying to avoid just mass contacting people and asking to hunt. Hearing what landowners are looking for in allowing hunters access to their places would help me interact with them better.

Last year I got permission on a place in Water Valley. Went and spoke to the guy. Chatted for 30 minutes, got to hear an earful on people disrespecting their place but what really surprised me is that even though they had so many issues with people trespassing and their initial response to the permission query was "No", we just chatted like reasonable human beings about "stuff" and I never brought up permission again but at the end of the conversation the guy offered me a nice quarter section to hunt in.

I think someone above nailed it when they said these people talk. A lot of permission likely comes from people who know Joe who knows Bob who said that you weren't a bad guy and helped him with his fence line etc..

Just to pass on some success tips I've had too, one of them is to offer predator control as well. Know the regs in regards to coyote/wolf and I've told land owners (and had one guy take me up on it) I'd be happy to spend a few weekends helping out there.

One other successful thing I've offered that most land owners haven't taken me up on but the offer is sincere is coming back after hunting season and just do a quick clean up along the main pathways/roads for the property not to clean up my mess because I don't make a mess but if I hunt on land and other hunters are also allowed out there I want to make sure at the end of the season the land owner isn't think "Those damn hunters" with me lumped in everytime they see some trash out there. Most folks are very surprised at the offer but also refuse it just asking I take out what I bring in. I always carry trash bags with me just incase.

The other thing I discuss with people if I do get permission is gut piles.. Is it okay to gut on site? Do they want any of the internals? Is there a way they would like the gutpile handled if it is okay to field dress at site.

I know there are a lot of good and ethical hunters out there. I hope by doing things "right" we can restore the faith that some landowners may have lost through bad experiences.

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice. Keep it coming
Old 06-03-2016, 09:15 PM

There's not really much more to it than that. Be respectful, he/she will judge you and determine yes or no. Fwiw most of the time their answer is already decided long before any of us show up, some allow hunting, some don't. Most that I've met are ok with a few minutes of convo but don't really want a new 'friend'.

Just gotta remember, 90% are good people, like every other group. If you run into one of the 10%, don't worry about it or take it personally.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:36 AM

Show respect and do not wear out your welcome. We have had to revoke permission to some hunters over the years when they act like they own the place putting stands and trail cams all over and being out there several times a week for preseason scouting and hunting during the season.

Asking to hunt on a particular day(s) rather than asking for blanket permission is a good tactic. This allows the landowner to regulate the number of hunters who may be out there on any given day, ,, makes for a better hunting experience and prevents hunters from wearing out their welcome.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:48 AM

Smile Don't smoke!!

You could burn down his crop in a heart beat, and with all due respect smokers are notoriously careless with their buts.

I offer to share what I get, it has lead to some humorous situations. A family of 7th. day Adventists near Hanna had given us permission to shoot geese, pits and all and when the Lady of the house came out to pick a goose, she said to me, " we are nearly vegetarians, which one should i pick?" My answer, the one that was plucked!

She and the kids came out of the house with enough vegetables to darn near fill the 1/2 ton!

Wonderful people.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Show respect and do not wear out your welcome. We have had to revoke permission to some hunters over the years when they act like they own the place putting stands and trail cams all over and being out there several times a week for preseason scouting and hunting during the season.

Asking to hunt on a particular day(s) rather than asking for blanket permission is a good tactic. This allows the landowner to regulate the number of hunters who may be out there on any given day, ,, makes for a better hunting experience and prevents hunters from wearing out their welcome.
That does not work for bow hunting. Pretty normal to have to make changes based on the wind direction, and scout/hunt a lot more.

What you described is a miscommunication, it would indeed be best to outline what the expectations are right at the start.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:44 PM

You could offer to help with a gopher problem as most places I know are having problems with them. That's a way to buy good will. Gophers can keep a large area of cropland eaten right to the ground, and on pasture land, it takes less than 100 of the buggers to eat as much as a cow does in a day... (I think the number is around 50) Not to mention things like broken legs that cows can get from the holes. (yes, it happens, especially with the actual ground hogs. Not so much with ground squirrels).
Old 06-05-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
That does not work for bow hunting. Pretty normal to have to make changes based on the wind direction, and scout/hunt a lot more.

What you described is a miscommunication, it would indeed be best to outline what the expectations are right at the start.
They weren't bowhunters,,,, I will reiterate someone who is hanging / lurking / getting in the way around 3-5 days a week for three / four months is "abusing" the generosity of the landowner.

The point is it is better to get permission from several landowners and spread yourself around a bit through the hunting season if you are just an acquaintance with the landowner.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
They weren't bowhunters,,,, I will reiterate someone who is hanging / lurking / getting in the way around 3-5 days a week for three / four months is "abusing" the generosity of the landowner.

The point is it is better to get permission from several landowners and spread yourself around a bit through the hunting season if you are just an acquaintance with the landowner.
Yeah that is a bit much. I always make sure my truck is out of the way and generally avoid interrupting them, harvest is busy enough without someone wanting to yap.

Where I hunt (248), quarters are "locked up" by one or two bowhunters for the season, and it's pretty common to spend a lot of time on one property because there aren't many spots available. Land owners around here seem to prefer having only one hunter so they know who is around and there aren't any squabbles.

Brings up another good point, there are different hunting cultures in different areas.

Tags
bow, hunting, permission, private land, rifle