Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 06:01 PM

I tought my wife to drive at 29. Take them to a country road and practice between the lines. Then ease into the city driving going around some quiet neighbourhoods. Don’t start too early with drivers training. Biggest thing is have patience and don’t scare them. If I can teach my wife, you can teach your son!
Best thing that helped her was anticipating. Figure out what you want to do before you get there and anticipate what other drivers will do.
My biggest mistake was not going through all the basics such as signals, heater/AC, foot pedals. Growing up on the farm I thought everyone knew the basics. Boy was I wrong.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i highly recommend driver training and would stay away from the schools that advertise that they guarantee a pass on the drivers test . these schools teach kids what they need to know / do to pass the test . they dont focus on defensive driving .
I agree...we are AMA members and he will take his course there.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I tight my wife to drive at 29. Take them to a country road and practice between the lines. Then ease into the city driving going around some quiet neighbourhoods. Don’t start too early with drivers training. Biggest thing is have patience and don’t scare them. If I can teach my wife, you can teach your son!
Best thing that helped her was anticipating. Figure out what you want to do before you get there and anticipate what other drivers will do.
My biggest mistake was not going through all the basics such as signals, heater/AC, foot pedals. Growing up on the farm I thought everyone knew the basics. Boy was I wrong. Lol
Thanks eh

I would like him to take training before I do as the liability is on the training company

Then I can take over
Old 04-23-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Thanks eh

I would like him to take training before I do as the liability is on the training company

Yes but 10 hours isn’t much. Especially as they will be scared for the first while. They will make mistakes. Lonely country roads or fields ideally are great places to start. Parking lots are not. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 PM

Forgot to say teach them to turn their lights on. Amazing how many people don’t know this!

Old 04-23-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Forgot to say teach them to turn their lights on. Amazing how many people don’t know this!

LOL....Don't worry about lights....I have 3 vehicles and only one has auto lights which turn on back parking lights. the other 2 I know to turn on right away in the dark.

My Son will learn that quick as well as the left and right turning signal is not an option only with higher end vehicles...
Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Yes but 10 hours isn’t much. Especially as they will be scared for the first while. They will make mistakes. Lonely country roads or fields ideally are great places to start. Parking lots are not. Lol

Depending on training, 10-18 hours on road training....Gives me a good enough start taking him out after that...
Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
LOL....Don't worry about lights....I have 3 vehicles and only one has auto lights which turn on back parking lights. the other 2 I know to turn on right away in the dark.

My Son will learn that quick as well as the left and right turning signal is not an option only with higher end vehicles...
BMW & Mercedes Benz for sale: both are low mileage, always garaged, non-smoker cars. Every available option. Synthetic fluids only. All signal bulbs in new & absolutely unused condition save for the brake lights and only because we couldn't find a way to defeat those too.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
BMW & Mercedes Benz for sale: both are low mileage, always garaged, non-smoker cars. Every available option. Synthetic fluids only. All signal bulbs in new & absolutely unused condition save for the brake lights and only because we couldn't find a way to defeat those too.

LOL...I meant to say any vehicles that the turn signal is disfunctional in most vehicles these days
Old 04-23-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Don't forget to get him educated on a manual transmission too!

I recall some of the best education in terms of how to drive on icy and snowy roads came in the form of 'stunting' in empty parking lots at night in the winter. These days one is more likely to get busted than in my day, but perhaps a reasonable parking lot for the activity can still be found. What some might call stunting also qualifies as safety training by getting one familiar with the physics of bad traction, momentum, steering into slides and just getting off the gas to re-establish control.
Unfortunately, I have nobody that actually drives a stick these days...I drove many in my day but they are a pain in the ass as you get older....It is like driving a bike, you never forget how to drive a manual..LOL...
Old 04-23-2018, 06:45 PM

DEFINITELY A DRIVING SCHOOL FOR THE DISCOUNT ON INSURANCE. JUST WENT THROUGH THAT WITH MY SON . AFTER HIS GRADUATION FROM THE SCHOOL I TOOK HIM OUT AND TAUGHT HIM HOW TO PARALLEL PARK THE INSTRUCTOR ONLY TOUCHED ON IT ONCE . PLUS A FEW OTHER THINGS ENSURING HE PASSED THE FIRST TIME . HIS FIRST CAR HE WANTED A STANDARD TRANSMISSION .
i THINK EVERYBODY SHOULD LEARN HOW TO DRIVE A STANDARD . WHEN I FIRST MET THE WIFE I TOSSED HER THE KEYS AND SAID HERE SHE TOLD ME SHE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A STANDARD. i TOLD HERE SHES GOING TO LEARN CAUSE IF WE ARE SOMEWHERE AND I BREAK A LEG SOMEBODY HAS TO DRIVE THE TRUCK HOME. LOL
Old 04-23-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:

LOL...I meant to say any vehicles that the turn signal is disfunctional in most vehicles these days
Lol never knew auto signals existed. I was meaning headlights.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:51 PM

My wife didn’t know how to turn the heater on. That was her only demerit. Saying “I’m cold” was automatic until I got out. Lol
Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Lol never knew auto signals existed. I was meaning headlights.
They do not exist for some drivers as well.....
Old 04-23-2018, 07:01 PM

Driving quads and motorcycles is a big help before graduating to a car. Lots of kids in our area get this experience but not to many "city" kids have this opportunity. I don't remember spending much time helping my 4 kids "learn" to drive. Things like this were a lot easier when living in small towns.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 PM

Patience is key. I made the mistake of losing my temper when teaching my wife to drive. She got mad and threw it in park and got out. Only it wasn't park, it was reverse
Old 04-23-2018, 07:35 PM

My daughter got her learners on her 14th birthday, and we started driving right away. I started her in my Tundra right off the bat, got her used to a larger vehicle. Parking lots to start, followed by range roads around the area and the side streets to get to them. Graduated to industrial park in Nisku, then to small town streets here in town, then finally onto the secondary highways, QE2 and into downtown Edmonton. Everything is gradual, build on experiences and he'll be fine. I drove with her for a year and a half, then turned her over to AMA for a series of lessons to "finish" her so to speak. There were a few things I couldn't get her to overcome, mostly difficulty parking straight and depth perception with oncoming traffic on side roads with street parking. She had a hard time getting a feel for how close she could actually get to parked cars on the street. I basically got her as far as I could, then let them do the polishing work, plus insurance break.

She got her licence on her 16th birthday and hasn't looked back, she turned 17 in January, sure nice not being a chauffeur.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Banned

Take him to the local church or mosque parking lot to find out which one is most forgiving.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys....I knew I could count on you for some very good ideas....

I had my wife look into AMA driving course to start but I believe they do not provide till 8 months before there 16th birthday, but I have not verified that on my own. Thanks Ken, I like your idea of taking him to a small town as Langdon would be a perfect place for him to drive around in a slower paced enviornment....We are in Calgary and any type of road is not suitable....

I also like the industrial area idea as at night there is very little traffic as well..Thanks for that suggestion as well.
You are very welcome! Good luck! You are a good Dad, likely taught by a good Dad, you and he will do fine.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-23-2018, 08:57 PM

Just a thought from my own experience too many years ago for me to want to count (just before the GDL thing came in, as I wanted to get in under the wire at the time ).

PATIENCE. Learning to drive with my dad was great. I'd get things like "...maybe not so close to the fence next time...".

Driving with my mom on the other hand.

"NOT SO CLOSE!" or

"WATCH OUT FOR THAT CAR!!!"

"What car?!"

"THE RED ONE DOWN THERE, YOU DON'T SEE IT?!"

"...it's like 3 intersections away, and we're doing 50..."

Don't take someone driving if you fall into the latter category. It's unnecessarily stressful and also annoying and potentially off-putting. Following those experiences, I opted not to practice at home, and did most of my practical driving-learning at driver's ed, though I would've much preferred to have had more hands-on at home first, if only my eardrums could've survived it...

Some great suggestions in this thread, to seek out quieter towns, industrial areas, etc. I definitely appreciated slowly and gradually working up from no traffic to main roads when learning.

My skid-steering experiences came partly from previous and quality racing games with a force feedback steering wheel, and primarily from controlled 'stunting' with my own cars during winter in vacant parking lots. I am a strong believer that driving training should definitely include a component of what a car is capable of. Drivers that freak out when a tire loses traction are not properly trained for Canadian winters, IMO, and figuring out your own vehicle can prove invaluable. I know, for example, that turning the traction control OFF in my current vehicle when it is icy actually makes it handle much more predictably around corners (oversteer vs understeer).
Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Banned

Taught alot of youngin's to drive over the years cause the parents had no patience. Driving goes beyond point the tires and go...

Give confidence, but make them respectful of the damage they can do. Nothing worse than seeing drivers that are scared to death behind the wheel. I don't want to be around them.

Neutral is there for a reason, don't be afraid to use it. Same with first and second gear, they have a purpose.

Threshold braking and acceleration and the use of neutral - on ice, heavy rain, dirt roads etc. All invaluable. Take them out in all conditions and let them abuse the tires a bit. Even now, first snow I get aggressive in quiet areas with the car, just a reminder of driving skills.

Teach them how to properly raise a car with a jack and change a tire at minimum. Drives me nuts to see kids waiting hours for AMA or other to help them. I learned at a young age to work on cars, saved probably 10's of thousands of dollars from DIY - and made alot working on other peoples cars.

Try to find someone with a manual, when you have to use all 4 limbs to drive, it enhances skills. Mind you it's not fun being with a beginner in a manual, always feel like you're in a rodeo riding a bull

Make it fun, not a chore, they are more apt to listen.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:37 AM

I went through this few years ago in Calgary, started on weekends in SE industrial area on really quiet streets. If you go through basics really slow and manage to explain that you would rather live a boring life for 40 more years than enjoy him playing NASCAR racer for 2 minutes - it's manageable.
Then we slowly progressed to "commentary drive" on quiet streets and than to switching places when we were just going somewhere.
The hard part is staying (mostly) positive and never letting your guard down, staying alert and thinking ahead of what can go wrong, because it will try to go this way at times.
I had to pass ~50 driving tests for QHSE people some time ago and felt safer if I was teaching him, so I didn't hire anybody. I also made him watch "Defensive Driving" DVD few times.
It worked ok - he passed the first time and seems to be pretty responsible driver.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Get him behind the wheel and drive you, his mother etc every where.
Take him out and practice all the driving techniques etc to get proficient at the art of driving. Once he is on his own he will make a few mistakes and get a few tickets along the way.
Funny when I look back at those years initially I would have failed my drivers test if not for teaching/learning what is required to be a lawful, safe driver. So the kids refreshed our driving skills.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-24-2018, 06:35 AM

Default Son got his learners now what

My 20yr old daughter just got her licence almost 2 weeks ago. I paid $600 for classroom lessons and 10hrs on the road with the instructor as I did not want to teach her my bad habits. After having completed 8 of 10 hrs with the instructor I took her out for a couple of hrs and we just drove around I offered a few instructions and pointed out a few errors. Mon night Tue night practise Wed night she went for her last 2 hrs with the instructor at the end of the lesson she went for a road test & failed due to legitimate errors impeding traffic and driving too fast! Thur another 2hrs of driving time then to the registry for a road test another failure due to her difficulty backing out of a angled parking stall the tester told me she did everything right once she was out on the road ? Out to the car daughter in tears I reassured her that she can do this back inside to schedule & pay for a 3rd test. Fri 13th 15 minute not 30 minute road test with the same instructor as Thur night, car comes back into the parking lot they sit in the car sit for a few minutes finally they came inside my daughter with a smile she passed! All in all she had around 20hrs of driving time 10 with the instructor some with me and some with my wife! Now to motivate the 18yr old son! I am not going to miss chauffeuring my daughter around but fr safety reasons I would do it all again.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 AM

Last year, I took my boy out to a hunting spot 50 miles away to sight in his new rifle. Afterwards, I gave him the wheel and we drove around in the country. We hit the highway and I told him to pull over. I looked at him and said, "She's all yours." He smiled and away we went. Mother thought I was nuts when I texted her pics, but she always thinks that anyhow. We likely passed a few drunks or stoners on the way home, so he wasn't the most dangerous driver on the road anyhow
Old 04-24-2018, 09:54 AM

Remind them that almost everyone has a cell phone and there are cameras just about everywhere! Don't do anything stupid, like stunting and hit and run. Someone is watching!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:34 PM

Stunting in Kevins black herz mini van I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Tradegunner View Post
Remind them that almost everyone has a cell phone and there are cameras just about everywhere! Don't do anything stupid, like stunting and hit and run. Someone is watching!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:26 AM

Some excellent comments here, but having a long career as a professional driver, I would add a few more.

My 15-year-old is number six, plus one wife and a few class 1 wannabees. After all that, I can honestly recommend that most parents should consider professional lessons for their youngsters. One reason is piece of mind -- patience and a calm demeanor are essential -- and you probably can get a discount on your insurance. But I have to point out that the main reason would be to avoid teaching bad habits (even a few recommended in this thread, though I won't comment on which ones).

If you still want to save the money on lessons, but are not sure if you really want to tackle this ordeal, first consider paying an licensed instructor for one hour to evaluate your own skills. You might be surprised at what you forgot (or never knew) about the basics. Remember that the kid will have to take the road test. Moreover, nobody will become a more annoying critic of your mistakes once he or she learns a few things, so you had better be prepared to set a great example. (Trust me, I would be embarrassed to be seen driving the way most people drive, so I work hard at practicing what I preach)!

The rest is simple: practice, practice, practice.

As mentioned, empty parking lots are a good place to start. Start. Stop Start. Stop. Turn right. Turn right. Turn right. Turn right. (It gets boring in a hurry. Patience!) Then left, left, left. And so on. Industrial areas in the evening are great. Go around the same block, turning right, as often as you have to. Cornering seems to be a skill that takes a lot of reps before it becomes a motor skill. Then the same block, turn left, left, left, and so on. The basic braking and turning skills need to be acquired before dealing with other traffic.

Low traffic rural highways are the next best step. After all that, it's a matter of spending as much time as possible cruising around in conditions the youngster is comfortable with. The stress of high traffic situations is a bad idea for both of you early in the training.

No distractions: radio, phones off. Teach the commands "STOP!" and "STOP NOW!" (or BRAKE if you prefer) early in the game. Make sure this command is not questioned! Grab a copy of a training manual at a Registry for many guidelines and tips. Start at age 14. They are much more controllable before 16 to 18. Remember that a stop sign means stop. Stop before the crosswalk, stop line, or sign, as applicable. Even when you can't see past a fence or trees, stop first before crawling ahead to check for traffic. This is one of the biggest mistakes that most drivers make every day.

Speeding on a road test -- or any other moving violation -- will result in a failure. Watch speed like a hawk. Circle check, every trip. Before you start moving, leave your seat belt off until your youngster notices. Repeat, until he or she does. Every time. Be positive. Build confidence. But be firm when safety becomes compromised. Remember that you must remain in control of every situation. You can't teach experience, but it's great to be there helping the youngster gain it. Enjoy!

Still want to take this on? If you do, there's nothing more satisfying that knowing your 17 year old girl is heading out to "rescue" some 18 year old classmates that know they shouldn't be driving and have to sense to call a competent, caring friend to get them home safely.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Wheel View Post
Some excellent comments here, but having a long career as a professional driver, I would add a few more.

My 15-year-old is number six, plus one wife and a few class 1 wannabees. After all that, I can honestly recommend that most parents should consider professional lessons for their youngsters. One reason is piece of mind -- patience and a calm demeanor are essential -- and you probably can get a discount on your insurance. But I have to point out that the main reason would be to avoid teaching bad habits (even a few recommended in this thread, though I won't comment on which ones).

If you still want to save the money on lessons, but are not sure if you really want to tackle this ordeal, first consider paying an licensed instructor for one hour to evaluate your own skills. You might be surprised at what you forgot (or never knew) about the basics. Remember that the kid will have to take the road test. Moreover, nobody will become a more annoying critic of your mistakes once he or she learns a few things, so you had better be prepared to set a great example. (Trust me, I would be embarrassed to be seen driving the way most people drive, so I work hard at practicing what I preach)!

The rest is simple: practice, practice, practice.

As mentioned, empty parking lots are a good place to start. Start. Stop Start. Stop. Turn right. Turn right. Turn right. Turn right. (It gets boring in a hurry. Patience!) Then left, left, left. And so on. Industrial areas in the evening are great. Go around the same block, turning right, as often as you have to. Cornering seems to be a skill that takes a lot of reps before it becomes a motor skill. Then the same block, turn left, left, left, and so on. The basic braking and turning skills need to be acquired before dealing with other traffic.

Low traffic rural highways are the next best step. After all that, it's a matter of spending as much time as possible cruising around in conditions the youngster is comfortable with. The stress of high traffic situations is a bad idea for both of you early in the training.

No distractions: radio, phones off. Teach the commands "STOP!" and "STOP NOW!" (or BRAKE if you prefer) early in the game. Make sure this command is not questioned! Grab a copy of a training manual at a Registry for many guidelines and tips. Start at age 14. They are much more controllable before 16 to 18. Remember that a stop sign means stop. Stop before the crosswalk, stop line, or sign, as applicable. Even when you can't see past a fence or trees, stop first before crawling ahead to check for traffic. This is one of the biggest mistakes that most drivers make every day.

Speeding on a road test -- or any other moving violation -- will result in a failure. Watch speed like a hawk. Circle check, every trip. Before you start moving, leave your seat belt off until your youngster notices. Repeat, until he or she does. Every time. Be positive. Build confidence. But be firm when safety becomes compromised. Remember that you must remain in control of every situation. You can't teach experience, but it's great to be there helping the youngster gain it. Enjoy!

Still want to take this on? If you do, there's nothing more satisfying that knowing your 17 year old girl is heading out to "rescue" some 18 year old classmates that know they shouldn't be driving and have to sense to call a competent, caring friend to get them home safely.
Love it when my kids end up being the designated driver!!!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Banned

Just keep doing it. Start small and bring him along quickly.
I had Willy driving us home from Drumheller while I slept when he was 14..
When he was 15, I made him drive us to Invermere in a snow storm. At 16 he was welcome to take my truck any place at any time.

My Daughter was different. Each kid has her/his own learning curve.