Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Beginner Fly Fisher

I have always been interested in learning to fly fish. This year I'm finally gonna do it. The only problem is that I dont know what all I need for equipment and flies. Can some one give me an idea on what kind of rod, real, line, flies and other equipment I should try and get for learning to fly fish for trout in the Edmonton area
Old 06-12-2012, 06:05 PM

I would recommend starting out with a 5 or 6 weight rod / line set up with floating line. It will get you started. I would also suggest selecting a reel that you can buy an extra spool for... depending on the waters you plan on fishing, a sinking, or possibly sinking tip line can be very useful. Do you plan on fishing rivers or lakes more often? In lakes I use my sinking line more often than floating line. In rivers / streams I use my floating line or sink tip line more often. My opinion is that moving water is more challenging to fish than still water is. To me the most sure-fire way for a newbie to catch a fish fly fishing is to troll a black woolly bugger behind your float tube or boat.

As for flies, the sky is the limit. I think a good start would be a selection of woolly buggers, gold ribbed hare's ear, and pheasant tail nymphs for sinking flies, and a selection of adam's, elk hair caddis, and stimulators for dries. There are quite a few other standard flies that everyone should have, but that should get you started. The list could be modified depending on if your fishing lakes or rivers / streams.

Ideally if you could hook up with an experienced fly fisher, or even a guide, it will reduce the learning curve greatly. Good luck getting started, once I started fly fishing I pretty much gave up on my spin rod. It's an addicting hobby!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Good luck getting started, once I started fly fishing I pretty much gave up on my spin rod. It's an addicting hobby!
Scott, ever heard this one?

Calling fly-fishing a hobby, is like calling brain surgery a job.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Default RE

Best advice I can say it takes time to learn the art of presenting the fly. lots of time on the lakes and ponds helps alot. Ive been fly fishing for 2 months its great. I caught 2 little trouts at the pond. Its pretty cool so far.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 AM

A day with a guide, course based or otherwise, is very good value. The Maclennans likely have something to offer. Google them if you have some sheckles to dump and want to progress in leaps and bounds. they can also fill you in on what type of equipment to get into.

hk
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM

There'll be someone in the Edmonton area offering the same. Missed that part of your post.

hk
Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 PM

There is just too much to know to list here. If you want good info and a chance to meet a lot of great guys and gals who fly fish youi should go to a meeting of the Northern Lights fly tiers

http://www.nlft.org/about

You are in luck because they are having their last meeting for the summer tomorrow and the usual meeting place. You can find it on this link. They are very easy to talk to - just show up and expres an interest and you will be set.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here