Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM

Default Almost run over by riverboat

I'm sure I am not the only guy that has had a river boat race by at full throttle 8 feet away. I almost went down when the wake hit. Is there any thing we can do to rid the rivers of these losers? Aside from the erosion and habitat degradation I can't imagine what could have happened if one of my kids was there.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:05 PM

At eight feet you should be able to get a good description and report them to the RCMP. No excuse for that behavior. At eight feet you would, IMO, be justified in stoning the idiot. Rick.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 PM

What were you in...a float tube???...that you almost capsized?
And what river were you in and your position within that river?

Last edited by BlackHeart; 09-30-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmitty View Post
I'm sure I am not the only guy that has had a river boat race by at full throttle 8 feet away. I almost went down when the wake hit. Is there any thing we can do to rid the rivers of these losers? Aside from the erosion and habitat degradation I can't imagine what could have happened if one of my kids was there.
Really.......I can't imagine
Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 PM

*sigh* here we go again...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
*sigh* here we go again...
Yep! Canoeist = puritist.....or should I say puritanism.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:02 PM

No standing in the red deer river about waist deep fishing a log jam. The channel is fairly narrow at 20 feet or so. The boater could have cut power but went by full bore. The wake hit me mid chest. Unfortunately all I know is the boat is green and silver. I am not trying to stir up a "kill the jet boaters" post but I was wondering if any groups were lobbying to tighten the restrictions of use in rivers of this size.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

Rules of a waterway are more stringent that the rules of the road,,, you also were in the right and you should have reported the boater no different than you would report a reckless driver on a roadway.
I
Waterways are not no-mans land for activity as some think when out there.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Banned

I would still make a report.

Boater was probably DUI
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
No standing in the red deer river about waist deep fishing a log jam. The channel is fairly narrow at 20 feet or so. The boater could have cut power but went by full bore. The wake hit me mid chest. Unfortunately all I know is the boat is green and silver. I am not trying to stir up a "kill the jet boaters" post but I was wondering if any groups were lobbying to tighten the restrictions of use in rivers of this size.
Well you are stirring it up.

So let get this straight.....channel is 20ft there....that would put middle of river 10 ft from each side. Now let's add in that you chest deep into the river. That chews up how much from one side??? Let say its pretty steep there, which would make it hard to even stand....45degrees....that you out from shore probably 4 ft give or take. Beam of a jet boat can be from 7 to 9 ft average.

Are you with still??? So let's say 8ft beam. Youve taken 4 of 20 leaving 16 a available. Now consider that beam has to have its space. So if the guy pits the boat to the waters edge that leave 8ft max space. Which is what you say he gave. So other than put it on shore, there was no more room possible for him to give you.

I call BS.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Well you are stirring it up.

So let get this straight.....channel is 20ft there....that would put middle of river 10 ft from each side. Now let's add in that you chest deep into the river. That chews up how much from one side??? Let say its pretty steep there, which would make it hard to even stand....45degrees....that you out from shore probably 4 ft give or take. Beam of a jet boat can be from 7 to 9 ft average.

Are you with still??? So let's say 8ft beam. Youve taken 4 of 20 leaving 16 a available. Now consider that beam has to have its space. So if the guy pits the boat to the waters edge that leave 8ft max space. Which is what you say he gave. So other than put it on shore, there was no more room possible for him to give you.

I call BS.
He could of slowed down so as not to damage structures or cause harm.

You follow????
Capiche???????
Comprende?????????
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 AM

And a few more things to consider.....at step a jet boat has control ....with power off it's much less.....on a narrow river with bends ..... for me to kill the power does a few things 1) limits control 2) creates a bow wake much larger for you to deal with 3) forces me to stay deeper and therefore center of this 20ft river which would put the average jet within 2ft of you.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM

As well, a jet boat has to go so fast to plane on the water....that's how they work. As a matter of fact you end up with a larger wake the slower you go. These are facts. It may have been an unpleasent experience....but that's it.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Really could have cut power? 2 half throttle so the wake is bigger? Or slowed right down for you, then it would be a thread about how you stood there laughing as the guy was trying to push his boat off the rocks.

Share the river. Like you said you were standing in a 20' run. Why not move to shore when you hear one coming?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Share the river. Like you said you were standing in a 20' run. Why not move to shore when you hear one coming?
Good point. Maybe he couldn't hear it coming, for whatever reason.
But if he had, it would have been the smart thing to do.

Or maybe he didn't have time to get out of the water. In a narrow channel like that, with bends and all, sound might not carry all that well.
Moving when one is chest deep in water is not all that easy, as anyone who has tried it would know.

I wonder though about why a jet boat would be running a river like that.
20 feet is an awfully narrow channel for any power boat.

If indeed the channel is that narrow at that point, it would be a very risky thing to run. Sounds to me like the sense of entitlement might be on the boaters side on this one.

Oh, and by the way folks, name calling can get you a free vacation.
Lets be civil, okay.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Really could have cut power? 2 half throttle so the wake is bigger? Or slowed right down for you, then it would be a thread about how you stood there laughing as the guy was trying to push his boat off the rocks.

Because he dosnt have to.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure I am not the only guy that has had a river boat race by at full throttle 8 feet away.
Quote:
The channel is fairly narrow at 20 feet or so. I was wondering if any groups were lobbying to tighten the restrictions of use in rivers of this size.
lol you are a smart one, I think most of us agree the boater is not in the wrong here and that you probably need to get better at judging distances. 20 feet, 8 feet?? lol i bet these numbers are quite a bit higher. Why are you in middle of a 20 ft river?? I can see the problem, I think you need to learn how to cast farther........heres my advice, you go to the park and practice until you can cast atleast 20 feet, then you dont need to go in the river at all. Next, you measure out different lengths in that park, and see what 8ft and 20ft atcually look like. You'll be suprised that you can cast 20ft now but still cant make it across the river, but how coudl that be?? of yeah the river isnt actually 20ft wide hahah man you make me laugh
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Default No idea

rtrtyyutyrty
Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Banned

Closed Thread