Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM

Default Had a visitor ice fishing yesterday

4 times this little rat came up into my hole, took a look and when I said 'hey buddy' poof gone like a shot. It made Oldman mad that I did not scream and yell and burst through the canvas, but it was after all just a little muskrat. I was not able to get a picture, but have heard of it happening. My shack is about 5" off the ice, so he would have had to climb a bit to actually get in, but a gulp of air was all he wanted.

Kind of neat to see.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-23-2012, 02:54 PM

I know of some guys that would still be running if that popped up in their shack.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM

Happened to me when I was about 12 fishing with my grandfather. It first swam under my hole and I thought it was a giant fish and I was stuttering and tongue tied trying to tell him then it popped up his hole and then popped up my hole. Startled me and gave both of us a good laugh.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM

I reeled in 2 of them yesterday at PCR.Stealin my smelts and thought I had a bite.Snagged a young one in the shoulder first.Figured no fish around if there is muskrats so moved a ways away and caught 1 of his parents by the tail a couple hours later.Fishing sucked in that area all day.Both released relatively unharmed

Last edited by hairycanary; 01-23-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM

I caught one on a Storm Wildeye Walleye in McGregor Lake this year in Spring and I hooked it really bad. I didnt know what to do because I didnt want to touch it so I left it for a minute or two in the water to see if it would get loose but it didnt. I put on some gloves and used some long nose pliers and shook it until it came off. I then left it where it was. I have no idea if it survived but I felt awful.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM

Don't know what it is today but it used to be about $5.00 a pelt. Beaver about $35.00
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM

This little gaffer scared the heck outta me one morning while sitting in my duck blind. he then came back to visit 3 or 4 times in the one day. Wasnt shy at all and would climb up the dog ramp and righ into the blind 3' off the water...

Turns out he built his nest right under the blind during the summer and I was obviously intruding haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00288-20101017-1540.jpg (101.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
This little gaffer scared the heck outta me one morning while sitting in my duck blind. he then came back to visit 3 or 4 times in the one day. Wasnt shy at all and would climb up the dog ramp and righ into the blind 3' off the water...

Turns out he built his nest right under the blind during the summer and I was obviously intruding haha
They are cute little buggers dry, but when that wet drowned rat comes through the hole it gives a little bit of a start doesnt it?

I figured out why he was not staying in the hole too long, he would poke his head through but likely could not stand the smell (Oldman)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....