Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 11:36 AM

Default Staining bleached antlers

I have a set of antlers which spent the last 5 years outside. They are bleached like chalk. Anyone ever used a stain to bring the color back?
Old 05-07-2024, 11:42 AM

Lightly sand first. Then coat with potassium permanganate as many times as it takes to get desired colour. G
Old 05-07-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Lightly sand first. Then coat with potassium permanganate as many times as it takes to get desired colour. G
Thank you. And where can I buy potassium permangenade?
Old 05-07-2024, 12:12 PM

I used Walnut stained Tung oil and have used boiled Lindseed oil with walnut colouring. Both worked well. Never tried the potassium that Pike recommended. Would love to see a picture.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:07 PM

got to seal all of the cracks too, if ya don't the contrast is bad where the color soaks in differently. im not a fan of Permangenate, prefer various minwax stains myself.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
Thank you. And where can I buy potassium permangenade?
Somewhere that carries water treatment supplies.
(It's used in some types of iron filters.)
Old 05-07-2024, 01:57 PM

or a taxidermy supply shop online....
Old 05-07-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
got to seal all of the cracks too, if ya don't the contrast is bad where the color soaks in differently. im not a fan of Permangenate, prefer various minwax stains myself.
X2
Old 05-07-2024, 03:15 PM

I have also had great luck with Minwax... can't recall the specific color but it works great... light scuff in between coats... apply stain until your happy with the darkness
Old 05-07-2024, 03:42 PM

also, consider using a toothbrush as an applicator tool. Find one with varying heights in the bristles that will pruduce varying "streaks" on the antler. works well vs a homogeneous application with a rag.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:38 PM

Default antlers

Mix potassium permanganate in water as strong as solution as you want, a weak solution is better because you can do it again if you want it darker, then paint it on the antler. After drying, sand the antler hitting the ridges but not in the groves. Paint the antler again now the ridges will be lighter and the grove will be darker. Lightly sand the tips. Does not look same as a natural antler, but is still a good look. Practice on a garbage antler first. The potassium permanganate will make you fingers brown which wears off in a few days.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:43 PM

Would be nice if people posted pics of the different methods used. I also have a rack that I ruined leaving in the sun for the winter that I would like to restore when time allows.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:20 PM

This is the only example I have in the house. If you want more, I’ll have to hit the garage. This was my very first attempt at a restoration. Used a few different colours of Minwax stains. Some light sanding and filling of cracks. Used 0000 steel wool to dull a bit and polish the tips and a couple spots along the bases and beams to look like polished spots from rubbing. It’s the only elk I’ve done and wasn’t chalked right out. Wasn’t a hard white either.

The rest are deer. I’m in the process of restoring a full moose rack currently. It was so bad and I’m told it’s right around 100 years of age. Drilling holes for wire and reforming points and portions of the paddles. It’s working out but quite time consuming and tedious. I’ll be quite proud when complete.

If you want some pics of deer, just let me know and I’ll go snap a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2024, 05:26 PM

OP said they were outside for about 5 years. I know what he's talking about.

Out that long will cause the antlers to be somewhat soft, porous, maybe moldy, and "chalky", depending where they have been sitting (shade, rain, or sun), making it harder to do a proper staining job, which may or may not do the trick.

Fresher sheds/antlers that are a bit sun bleached are very easy to stain as stated by some.

Antlers left out in the weather for too long "may be" a write off. Without pics it is somewhat hard to judge. Can you post some?

Having said that, some good advice has been given depending on the shape of them.

And great job on those Lou...
Old 05-07-2024, 05:28 PM

I should add this. I thin my stain with acetone and then draw it up and out from the bases and beam for the tines. If it’s a little bit darker than I want, I have a separate brush in straight acetone and I will use it to blend the colour up and out until I’m satisfied. Be very careful if it’s a chalky antler. They will take colour like crazy and won’t blend out nice like a harder antler will.

I dunno. Maybe mine look poor and I don’t even know it. But, that’s what I do.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniaw24 View Post
I have also had great luck with Minwax... can't recall the specific color but it works great... light scuff in between coats... apply stain until your happy with the darkness
I’ve used Minwax early american with great results
Old 05-07-2024, 09:19 PM

That elk shed looks great Lou, definitely post up some more pics of what you've done! Would love to see the moose antlers as well!!
Old 05-07-2024, 10:47 PM

I can see Minwax working great, it is very close to Tung Ooil in how it behaves. The big advamtage to Tung and Lindseed is it fill pores and cracks while also killing any bacteria. It also gets rid of chaulkiness and fills even deep grooves. It is also easy to control the colour and depth of the stain you are incorporating.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:54 AM

https://www.mckenzietaxidermy.com/mo...int-C2400.aspx

You can buy the same paints at an art supply place.

-Billy Molls