Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 03:27 PM

Default Undersubscribed + General Tag?

So this may be obvious to some, but I've not seen in defined in the regs (admittedly I've not read the latest one cover to cover) My clear understanding is that you can't possess both a special and general license for whitetail for instance. From the Regs

"LICENCE LIMITS FOR WHITE-TAILED DEER HUNTERS — Hunters may not possess both an Antlered
White-tailed Deer Special Licence and a White-tailed Deer Licence."

My question is about the undersubscribed licenses. Does the same rule hold true if it's the purchase of an undersubscribed license. I'm assuming so but have not seen it defined as such.

Resident experts please chime in
Old 07-30-2020, 04:44 PM

A special license is a special license, whether it is drawn, or bought as an under subscribed license.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A special license is a special license, whether it is drawn, or bought as an under subscribed license.
My thoughts too, but I didn't want to assume......
Old 07-30-2020, 10:54 PM

If you get a general mule deer tag and you want an undersubscribed antlered mule deer tag you are SOL.

If you get a general mule deer license/tag and you want an undersubscribed antlerless mule deer tag go for it.

The same rules apply.

LC
Old 07-31-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you get a general mule deer tag and you want an undersubscribed antlered mule deer tag you are SOL.

If you get a general mule deer license/tag and you want an undersubscribed antlerless mule deer tag go for it.

The same rules apply.

LC
Ahhh, that's more clear and makes more sense. Their above spec didn't define the antlerless part. But in saying NO to a General and an Antlered (which I always knew), they didn't say NO to a General and an Antlerless. I was just reading it and interpreting it wrong and not thinking correctly.

So YES I can have a general Whitetail, and purchase an undersubscribed ANTLERLESS Whitetail by what you are saying Lefty......... Which makes sense.

Taking my 14 & 16 year old out this year for their first time and want to get my crap together and increase the chances of filling the freezer. Hunting for meat and the experience for them, not horns so much. Having and antlerless tag along will do just that.

Thanks for the clarifications!!
Old 07-31-2020, 10:29 AM

Basically you can think of it as you cannot shoot 2 bucks in one year (unless it’s Wainwright)

General + Antlered = Can’t do
General + Antlerless = Can do

Moose and Elk you can only hold 1, either antlered or antlerless.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Ahhh, that's more clear and makes more sense. Their above spec didn't define the antlerless part. But in saying NO to a General and an Antlered (which I always knew), they didn't say NO to a General and an Antlerless. I was just reading it and interpreting it wrong and not thinking correctly.

So YES I can have a general Whitetail, and purchase an undersubscribed ANTLERLESS Whitetail by what you are saying Lefty......... Which makes sense.

Taking my 14 & 16 year old out this year for their first time and want to get my crap together and increase the chances of filling the freezer. Hunting for meat and the experience for them, not horns so much. Having and antlerless tag along will do just that.

Thanks for the clarifications!!
If the rules allow you to hold an antlerless WT special license and a general
them yes you can, you can’t get an “extra” opportunity if it breaks the initial rules.

LC
Old 07-31-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Basically you can think of it as you cannot shoot 2 bucks in one year (unless it’s Wainwright)

Ya my confusion purely came from thinking undersubscibed had special conditions and assuming it was then different from what I already knew, then not reading the statement correctly. I've held both tags before, Just needed my head straightened out a bit, all good! Thanks
Old 07-31-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

You can shoot 2 bucks in one year (regardless of Wainwright). You can shoot 1 mule buck and 1 white-tailed buck.

I think you meant to say you cannot shoot 2 bucks of the same species.

So your formulas are correct if you insert "same species".

So including Wainwright, you could shoot 4 bucks in one year. Now that'd be fun.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselBeard View Post
You can shoot 2 bucks in one year (regardless of Wainwright). You can shoot 1 mule buck and 1 white-tailed buck.

I think you meant to say you cannot shoot 2 bucks of the same species.

So your formulas are correct if you insert "same species".

So including Wainwright, you could shoot 4 bucks in one year. Now that'd be fun.

Cheers
If you hunt Strathcona primitive weapons season you can add another WT buck to that too,

LC
Old 08-01-2020, 06:38 AM

Another Thread about people not knowing the regulations would be so much simpler just to read the regulations than asked on here I find you always get wrong answers have a good day.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Another Thread about people not knowing the regulations would be so much simpler just to read the regulations than asked on here I find you always get wrong answers have a good day.

Little punctuation wouldn’t hurt either
Old 08-01-2020, 09:24 AM

Yep it couldn't hurt

Old 08-01-2020, 09:44 AM

Old 08-01-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Mr Whelen, I actually find that a properly asked question actually get's good results around here. I appreciated the fact that you've never ever had to ask a question to clarify a situation. At 46, this isn't my first rodeo, but as mentioned several times above the confusion was I had thought there was a difference with regards to undersubscribed tags, as it's my first time considering some. I was mistaken. Lefty and others very nicely cleared that up for me.

I'm now off to reread every Service Manual, Engineering Text and Hunting Regs booklet I have as to make sure I won't need to ask any more question again (all in jest!) .............. yes basic questions from newbies get a hard time around here which is actually too bad, but for the most part people are here to help........ happy Hunting Season!
Old 08-01-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Mr Whelen, I actually find that a properly asked question actually get's good results around here. I appreciated the fact that you've never ever had to ask a question to clarify a situation. At 46, this isn't my first rodeo, but as mentioned several times above the confusion was I had thought there was a difference with regards to undersubscribed tags, as it's my first time considering some. I was mistaken. Lefty and others very nicely cleared that up for me.

I'm now off to reread every Service Manual, Engineering Text and Hunting Regs booklet I have as to make sure I won't need to ask any more question again (all in jest!) .............. yes basic questions from newbies get a hard time around here which is actually too bad, but for the most part people are here to help........ happy Hunting Season!
You'll find you'll get better Answers by reading the regulations and a hunting rules, than asking questions on here about them you'll get five different answers and four of them will be wrong just the tip. Have a great day

Old 08-05-2020, 11:24 AM

Last season I tried to buy an undersubscribed cow elk tag in mid December for the late season. win Relm wouldn’t let me as I had purshased a General elk tag for the hunting season back in late August. I was kind of hoping I could since there were lots of tags left over and only the last cow elk season from late December to mid January to as remain.

Be nice if a guy could just because there was so many tags left and it was cash into the coffers.

To answer initial post you cannot possess types of tags at the same time