Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM

Default Rod/reel combo opinion?

Looking into get started in fly fishing this coming season I've been looking around and just curious if anyone has used or has an opinion on st. Croix fly rods.
Specifically the Rio Santo combo, at around the $200 mark it seems reasonable starting point
I've also looked at the tfo nxt and just wondering if there would be much difference between the 2 set ups
I love my st croix spinning rod. I just know nothing about their fly rods

Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 PM

I am personally a big fan of TFO as starter rods, especially their $200 range rods. They are valued well for the beginner, and deliver performance. I own a Lefty Kreigh Professional 6wt and have no complaints whatsoever.

If I were to do it again, I'd also look at Pieroway, Echo, and Amundsen.

As for the st Croix, my buddy has one for his first rod, I believe it's a Rio Santo, he likes it. I have cast it a few times and actually prefer my TFO. I own Orvis, Redington, TFO, and Pflueger rods, and all of these present rods that are suitable for whatever you pay (ie a $400 rod is better than a $200).

I've read reviews that say echo gives you a hell of a rod for what you pay, and I think I'm going to add an echo3 to my arsenal next summer.

My 2 cents, but if you want a more professional opinion try these links:

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fly...pleforkBVK.asp

http://http://www.yellowstoneangler....heimerrods.asp

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM

St Croix makes very nice rods and you can't beat their customer service. broke the tip section on my first rod about 10yrs ago and they replaced it under warranty, cost $25 to ship the old one in and recieve the new tip section. last year lost the tip section to my rod (don't ask, stupid me) and got a new replacement tip section from them for $30 including freight within a week of placing order.

also very nice casting rod (mine is an Avid series) and i would definetly buy another one in a heartbeat.

from what i hear, the TFO rods are suppose to be really good rods for the price and also a very good customer service. i also have 3wt 8ft Echo that i find quite nice, but i don't use it as often as i should because i just love my St Croix rod.

rgds
Mike
Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
St Croix makes very nice rods and you can't beat their customer service. broke the tip section on my first rod about 10yrs ago and they replaced it under warranty, cost $25 to ship the old one in and recieve the new tip section. last year lost the tip section to my rod (don't ask, stupid me) and got a new replacement tip section from them for $30 including freight within a week of placing order.

also very nice casting rod (mine is an Avid series) and i would definetly buy another one in a heartbeat.

from what i hear, the TFO rods are suppose to be really good rods for the price and also a very good customer service. i also have 3wt 8ft Echo that i find quite nice, but i don't use it as often as i should because i just love my St Croix rod.

rgds
Mike
You can beat the customer service! If you work down the street from TFO

broke a tip, brought it in.
Got a new rod.
done
Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
You can beat the customer service! If you work down the street from TFO

broke a tip, brought it in.
Got a new rod.
done
Did you have to provide warranty info or proof of purchase?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

I have a Imperial St. Croix 5 weight 9ft and love it. Best rod I have owned yet. @mikeym did you have to provide proof of purchase or a warrant thing to get the tip replaced?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Did you have to provide warranty info or proof of purchase?
(TFO rod)
I believe that their website states that you should, but when I got a section replaced they had never asked to see any of it. I was in and out of the warehouse in under 20 minutes with a new section, and 10-15 of those minutes were spent chatting with the guy that had helped me out that day. Excellent customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them although I do not have much experience with any of the other major manufacturers.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 AM

no, just packaged the rod c/w broken tip up and mailed it to them with my return address. they never asked for proof of purchase or warranty info at all.
that was on the broken piece. for the replacement tip section i ordered it off the website and the only thing they required was the ser# to makes sure the sections fit together properly.

i am pretty sure the St Croix rods have a lifetime warranty.

rgds
MIke
Old 01-10-2013, 12:33 PM

Go with TFO, they have the best customer service. They have really good prices, quality and performance. The best thing about TFO is that you will fish the same fish with a $285.00 BVK than with a $700 Sage. If one Sage, Echo, Hardys fish better....sure. But I dont care about how beautiful my casting is, if I have a tight loop or not, I care about cath fish and have some fun without brake the bank and TFO has really good rods for afordable prices! ( I should look for a position in TFO sales team)
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesr View Post
Looking into get started in fly fishing this coming season I've been looking around and just curious if anyone has used or has an opinion on st. Croix fly rods.
Specifically the Rio Santo combo, at around the $200 mark it seems reasonable starting point
I've also looked at the tfo nxt and just wondering if there would be much difference between the 2 set ups
I love my st croix spinning rod. I just know nothing about their fly rods

Thanks
St. Croix makes very nice rods, as do a lot of the companies mentioned. I would be more concerned about the action on the rod you are going to use, they will very quite a bit, and only you can decide which one feels right to you. I have a few fly rods with a St Croix Imperial (the old version) being one of them.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM

I have a number of St. Croix blanks that I have build rods on for myself. Most being the older rods, Actions have changed on their rods over the years. The best bet would be to hit up a shop and test them out and find an action you like. If you can get a rod you like in a St. Croix, I'd go for it. But don't over look other companies, Redington make some nice rods for the price range your looking for.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:00 PM

If you can make it, just wait to the Western Canadian Fly Fishing expo, ask for advice, try a couple and see what deals can you get from the show. For sure you can get some deals down there.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM

when is the expo? i assume its in edm...?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesr View Post
when is the expo? i assume its in edm...?
Nope calgary. 25-27th January.