Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-09-2016, 11:46 PM

Default question for the ceracoat/duracoat experts

What are you guys using for an aplicator? I never researched too hard into getting into gun coatings as i never had the space until now. The boss says i can use the shop and his compressor as long as i coat some of his firearm stuff after practicing on my own.
Would you recomend HVLP or just a small airbrush? Should i be looking for a higher end one to start?

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-09-2016, 11:57 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what you should is as an applicator, but if you're doing firearms I'd say spend the money on the better machine.

I hate to hijack your thread but I'm just wondering if you know how to get cerakoted off a barrel? I've got a rifle with a stainless steel barrel that was cerakoted and I'd like to have the stainless look rather than the ceracote. I'm thinking maybe bead blasting?
Old 12-10-2016, 01:58 AM

Default Aluminum

Aluminum oxide 120 takes it off. Then bead or glass blast it to your liking if your not happy with the oxide finish.
The Hvlp gun works best but I find it has a lot of overspray. You can use an airbrush but you need to thin your spray product out a bit.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:29 AM

I bought the little passche hvlp gun off the ceracoat web site. It is nice as it has a small cup. Before that I was using a standard HVLP gun. Tried airbrush for duracoat but I prefer the hvlp
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-10-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
I bought the little passche hvlp gun off the ceracoat web site. It is nice as it has a small cup. Before that I was using a standard HVLP gun. Tried airbrush for duracoat but I prefer the hvlp
how did you find the standard hvlp to work? researching online guys are saying that its too much volume for effective use.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-10-2016, 08:47 PM

it works fine but you end up wasting quite a bit of material just to cup full enough to work.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-10-2016, 11:36 PM

I've done about 6 guns with duracoat and this spray gun. http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...un/A-p8155582e

They all turned out fine.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned

My choice is a Badger "Anthem" air brush. Minimal over spray even though I use a booth vented outside. These products aren't cheap so no need to waste it. Occasionaly for special projects, I also use an Iwata airbrush. It's spray is so fine that you can sign your name with it.

With the Badger air brush, I do not need to thin the product.

If you plan ro use the big shop compressor, I would recommend that you make your own manifold using a moisture trap and a pressure regulator with a gauge. I set my spray pressure at 25 PSI.

Parkerizing prior to spraying makes for a nicer finish and good bond with the metal.

48 hours after coating, I also apply Tru-Lube from LCW.