Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Banned

Default Barrel re-chamber - 6mmBR to .243win ?

I think I know the answer, based on a quick check of SAMMI specs, but...

If I bought a barrel already chambered in 6mmBR, how easily (if at all) could it be rechambered to .243win ?

This is a Savage pre-fit Shilen barrel, if it makes a difference...

Thanks in advance !
Old 12-11-2016, 02:16 PM

Why would you ruin a perfectly good 6br? That is just plain crazy
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-11-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Or run a 6 Dasher reamer in ... to come close to 243 Win ballistics with 10 gr less powder .... and retain the same consistency/accuracy as the 6 BR? But, to answer the question, no issue going long with the 243 reamer. Is the twist rate appropriate?
Old 12-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Banned

Default What are the possible problems of this specific rechamber, if any ???

Quote:

Call me crazy... I've been called worse !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Or run a 6 Dasher reamer in ... to come close to 243 Win ballistics with 10 gr less powder .... and retain the same consistency/accuracy as the 6 BR?

But, to answer the question, no issue going long with the 243 reamer. Is the twist rate appropriate?
A Dasher is definitely out of the question... And twist rate on the intended barrel, is 1:8"... Perfect for mid-to-heavy 6mm pills.

I want to retain the original caliber of this rifle (leaving it 243win) because I've got dies/brass/data for the 243. I'm not jumping into reloading a new (to me) caliber at the start of yote season.

* I'M NOT INTERESTED IN ANY OTHER OPTIONS, ONLY RECHAMBERING A 6BR BARREL TO 243... ANY OTHER REPLIES ARE UNWANTED, IF IT DOESN'T PERTAIN TO REAMING/RECHAMBERING. IF I HAVE TO LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR THE ANSWER, SO BE IT...

Thx
Old 12-11-2016, 05:48 PM

6br 29 grains of varget cci br4, and a 105 amax . There's your 6br coyote load
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
6br 29 grains of varget cci br4, and a 105 amax . There's your 6br coyote load
Rob... Thank you, but I don't want a 6BR.

Can you suggest the best person to answer my question though ? It seems you're not willing to, or unable.

And who would be the best person (time & money are definitely factors) to complete such a task, if feasible ?

Cheers
Old 12-11-2016, 08:00 PM

You could try Ron Smith. He'll rebore barrels so I would think he could do chambers.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:06 PM

A 243 needs to be set back as a 243 reamer won't clean up a BR chamber, but a 243 Ackley is a straight rechamber. It's also 3150 with a 105 grainer.

In Calgary area I would give Henry Rempel a call.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post

A 243 needs to be set back as a 243 reamer won't clean up a BR chamber, but a 243 Ackley is a straight rechamber. It's also 3150 with a 105 grainer.
In laymans terms, is that a yes or no ? It sounds like a "NO" for 243win ?

Isn't a 6BR based of the .308 case ? Why would the chamber walls need "cleaning" ? Wouldn't the shoulder portion of the chamber be the only thing being cut/lengthened ?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm trying to learn something too...

Old 12-11-2016, 08:40 PM

It is a no. The factory 243 Winchester has more taper from the head to the shoulder than the BR.

So you can run the 243 reamer into the BR chamber and although it will get longer, there will still be gap partway down the 243 chamber where the wider-at-the-shoulder BR chamber used to be that is outside the current walls of your 243. Clear as mud?

The 243 Ackley has less taper so that it cleans up the BR chamber. At no point is the original BR chamber wider than the new chamber.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 PM

you would have to set the barrel back a bit, which may not be an issue depending on the contour. you want the reamer to clean up the whole old chamber so you dont get any ridges/oversize areas. 243 case taper is .1448" per foot and 6br is .1442"per foot.

sorry just repeated what Rick said
Leeper
Old 12-12-2016, 08:42 AM

Yeah, but you said it all technical like!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Banned

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aichamb...?sn=fEmLZZbSoS

apparently running a 243 reamer in there should completely remove the 6mmbr chamber
Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 AM

op. laims it's a savage prefit barrel. therefore it uses a barrel nut and has extra thread on the barrel. pretty sure if you had to run the reamer in an extra 1/4" you would still have enough thread to lock up the barrel after headspacing.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
It is a no. The factory 243 Winchester has more taper from the head to the shoulder than the BR.

So you can run the 243 reamer into the BR chamber and although it will get longer, there will still be gap partway down the 243 chamber where the wider-at-the-shoulder BR chamber used to be that is outside the current walls of your 243. Clear as mud?

The 243 Ackley has less taper so that it cleans up the BR chamber. At no point is the original BR chamber wider than the new chamber.
Got it... Thanks. I did see there was a very small (0.003" ?) difference in diameter, but thought it might be negligible.

As it turns out, the seller has more than just the barrel for sale (brass, dies, G&NG gauges) but wont part with just the barrel.

Thanks for all the replies. Cheers

Old 12-12-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Got it... Thanks. I did see there was a very small (0.003" ?) difference in diameter, but thought it might be negligible.

As it turns out, the seller has more than just the barrel for sale (brass, dies, G&NG gauges) but wont part with just the barrel.

Thanks for all the replies. Cheers

I'd still buy it! If he's got all the goodies you will be laughing with your new 6br. It is probably the easiest Caliber I have ever reloaded for. Simply pick a load off of 6mmbr.com and you will probably be shooting .75 or less without any tweaking. .75 seems to be a 6br that is not shooting
Leeper
Old 12-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Banned

Unfortunately, I can't spend the $600 he wants for the package plus the ~$300 to have it installed & headspaced...

Thanks again !
Old 12-13-2016, 12:49 PM

If you just need a new pipe, there are factory take off barrels around. There are limitations as per contour/twist/length etc though...

Check with Jerry @ Mystic Precision for what he can get or might have in stock. If i remember right he can install a prefit easily and at a reasonable fee.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Unfortunately, I can't spend the $600 he wants for the package plus the ~$300 to have it installed & headspaced...

Thanks again !
If you can find a savage wrench I could spin it on for ya in about 2 minutes. How many rounds down the current barrel?
Leeper
Old 12-13-2016, 02:05 PM

You probably don't want to hear it, but stay with the 6BR.

To headspace the barrel would take a few minutes. And you would get the Go and NOGO gauges, and brass and dies as part of the deal.

If you got the barrel rechambered to 243, that could be a few bucks.

If you really want a 243 barrel, go to a gunshop and buy a new barrel. It would be cheaper than rechambering the 6BR barrel.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Banned

i'm pretty sure i have an unfired 243 factory barrel somewhere.

if that's something that gets ya where you need to be i like beer