Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-13-2016, 01:59 PM

Default Thinking of getting into AR's

For those of you that are well ahead of me in the AR game, I'm looking to you for some helpful advice.

I don't want to spend more than $1k on the basic platform, but I'm also leery of buying something like a Norinco CQ-A just due to a bunch of stuff that I've heard and read about them. They seem like a great deal, but in the end it might be just a piece of made-in-china crap. Who the hell knows anymore??

I've also considered the Diamondback DB15, the S&W M&P 15 and Colt Expanse M4. Things like the Daniel Defense are not something I'm probably going to justify getting for how much I'd shoot it.

I just want a good rifle for some target shooting, and potentially getting into 3-Gun with, so decent accuracy, but I also don't want to have to replace a ton of the parts either right off the bat.

So with all that said, I'm leaning quite heavily towards the Diamondback DB15. It's all 100% made in the USA in their own CNC shop, and I've heard nothing but good things. And for $829 CAD I think it's a great deal. My only question is with who does warranty/support work for them in Canada... Don't know that one yet.

I guess I'll open it up for you guys. I know this is one of those things that everyone has an opinion on, and hopefully I've given you enough to go off of.

Last edited by Envitro; 12-13-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:56 PM

There are a lot of companies building AR's these days. I can't say that I've heard of the Diamondback. Just a little more money gets you into a Bushmaster or an Armalite. I see cheaper offerings coming out without forward assists but I don't think I would buy one.

I would budget some cash for an aftermarket trigger like a Geissele or a maybe even a Timney. It is the single biggest improvement you can do yourself.

A nice 1-4 or 1-6 scope is pretty useful as well.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:03 PM

Look into the NEA ar15 I have 2 and when on sale I was into the basic model for 900 bucks. I have a .556 and a 7.62 x39 both function flawlessly. And made in Canada
Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 PM

I know its a little more than 1g but my stag left hand has worked flawlessly since day 1. Ive got about 2500 rounds through it and have never had a ftf or fte.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:01 PM

Eagle Arms, which is apparently connected with Armalite, seems to be another one in or around your price point. Marstar carries them.

AR 15=more shooting=better shooter with hunting rifle=dead deer in November.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:20 AM

Ars are the mechano set of guns. Always another part to change and ever evolving. Hard to go wrong with most of them. Aero precision, spikes, check on the ee on CGN always lots of them for sale for reasonable cost. Be warned they tend to multiply. I have built 2 so far and am having the inclination to build a third for no good reason.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post

Look into the NEA-15... I have 2 and when on sale I was into the basic model for 900 bucks. I have a .556 and a 7.62 x39 both function flawlessly. And made in Canada
This... Even with the few complaints & issues they had when they 1st started out, I'd still buy from them before sending my money outside the Canadian border...

Old 12-15-2016, 01:37 PM

I have never handled a NEA rifle but just a quick google on NEA shows some dissatisfied customers, feeding problems, and bad business dealings.

S&W always comes up for best bang for the buck, that is what i would look at.