Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Default Tikka t3 light strike??

Anyone have or heard of these issues?
Pulled the trigger on the nicest whitetail buck I would have ever taken, and click!!! The striker barely indented the primer! I got a shot fired off eventually after he came back out but then I missed the 120yard shot. Last day of whitetail here in sask and can count on one hand the number of bucks I've seen all season. Talk about frustrating!! Grrr

I've completely lost faith in this gun and I haven't even been able to shoot a deer with it yet! I don't trust it farther than I can throw it now. This is the second time I've had it happen to me in a hunting situation in a row. Have over a 1000rounds down it and the two times I need it to count it has failed me...

Gun and bolt are very clean
Lubed with teflon Rem lube
-5*C
I'm at a total loss never does it at the range and I've shot it in colder temps. Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2016, 08:04 PM

Have you taken the bolt apart and degreased the internals? Oil or grease inside the bolt is a common cause for light primer strikes.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:21 PM

I own a lot if tikkas and never had a problem until i bought my 6.5x55. I was doing barrel break in in below zero temps and had two light primer strikes with a box of nosler 140 accubonds. It then did it twice with some test loads with Fed 210m primers. That night i took the bolt apart and degreased everything with brake clean. I did not find any build up of excess lube or anything. After reassembling i have not had a problem since even at -15 late last winter. I have about 200 handloads through it now.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJeep View Post
Anyone have or heard of these issues?
Pulled the trigger on the nicest whitetail buck I would have ever taken, and click!!! The striker barely indented the primer! I got a shot fired off eventually after he came back out but then I missed the 120yard shot. Last day of whitetail here in sask and can count on one hand the number of bucks I've seen all season. Talk about frustrating!! Grrr

I've completely lost faith in this gun and I haven't even been able to shoot a deer with it yet! I don't trust it farther than I can throw it now. This is the second time I've had it happen to me in a hunting situation in a row. Have over a 1000rounds down it and the two times I need it to count it has failed me...

Gun and bolt are very clean
Lubed with teflon Rem lube
-5*C
I'm at a total loss never does it at the range and I've shot it in colder temps. Thanks for your help

Remlube turns to gum. It should be clean and dry inside the bolt.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
Remlube turns to gum. It should be clean and dry inside the bolt.

Even the teflon dry lube? I thought it was doing a great job. Metal is slippery and I haven't noticed any gumming anywhere. Like at all.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Have you taken the bolt apart and degreased the internals? Oil or grease inside the bolt is a common cause for light primer strikes.

Yes I have! I totally disassembled the bolt right before the season and fired 3 times for foulers down the tube.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Yes I have! I totally disassembled the bolt right before the season and fired 3 times for foulers down the tube.

And you didn't use any lube on the bolt internals?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
And you didn't use any lube on the bolt internals?

Yes sorry I sprayed with dri lube,the teflon stuff from Remington. I don't believe it's gumming up.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yes sorry I sprayed with dri lube,the teflon stuff from Remington. I don't believe it's gumming up.

I wouldn't use that lube inside the bolt for hunting in cooler weather.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:52 PM

That's going to be my next course of action. Clean it up good no lube and take it out against coyotes and hope for the best.

Research online shows that I'm not the only one with this issue. Tikka uses a lighter striker spring to facilitate its smooth cocking action

Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Banned

A friend of mine just bought one and brought it to me to set up and sight in an I experienced the same issue. I had to take the bolt apart and clean the firing pin behind the spring, there was all kinds of black gunk in there and the firing pin would literally struggle to move. After I cleaned it up and gave it a shot of G96 it was smashing primers.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Even the teflon dry lube? I thought it was doing a great job. Metal is slippery and I haven't noticed any gumming anywhere. Like at all.

I bought some and sprayed it on the ouside of my bolt. It worked ok but not for long. It turned into a black gummy film tha bound up my bolt. I thought it must be good for something so i sprayed it on my press ram. Not long and i had to clean it off there too. Worst gun product i ever used, i know some people like it and say they have no problems wkth kt i dont know how.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
I bought some and sprayed it on the ouside of my bolt. It worked ok but not for long. It turned into a black gummy film tha bound up my bolt. I thought it must be good for something so i sprayed it on my press ram. Not long and i had to clean it off there too. Worst gun product i ever used, i know some people like it and say they have no problems wkth kt i dont know how.

Thanks for this I guess I will have to try without from now on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
A friend of mine just bought one and brought it to me to set up and sight in an I experienced the same issue. I had to take the bolt apart and clean the firing pin behind the spring, there was all kinds of black gunk in there and the firing pin would literally struggle to move. After I cleaned it up and gave it a shot of G96 it was smashing primers.
good to know. I avoided using any sort of oil based product as I thought they were the cause to my issue. As it's turning out my Rem drilube may be the issue though I haven't noticed gumming up or any things of the likes other than this issue.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:35 PM

I use Kroil in my bolts. No problemo.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I use Kroil in my bolts. No problemo.
Tried that. Couple educated coyotes is all that it accomplished once the weather got cold. Dry bolts only for me and never an issue since.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:39 AM

Has anybody tried LPS-1? I put that stuff on just about everything. I have seen others recommend it for gun cleaning and lube, they even make wipes.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560

Provides a dry, thin, lubricating film
Resists oil, dust, and dirt build-up
Ideal for delicate mechanisms
Removes carbon build-up from surfaces
Displaces moisture
Safe on paint, fabric, and most plastics
Old 12-03-2016, 05:34 AM

Had his problem with a new one last year, it was sent back to tikka, and came back working.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:34 AM

What cartridge?
Factory loads?
How cold was it ?
Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dry, clean bolts,
Cold weather don't bring them in the house to sweat and then out without proper drying it or things will freeze up.
Too many people expose thier rifles to direct heat then straight out to minus temps...or vice versa.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-03-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Has anybody tried LPS-1? I put that stuff on just about everything. I have seen others recommend it for gun cleaning and lube, they even make wipes.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560

Provides a dry, thin, lubricating film
Resists oil, dust, and dirt build-up
Ideal for delicate mechanisms
Removes carbon build-up from surfaces
Displaces moisture
Safe on paint, fabric, and most plastics
Looking at the data sheet, they recommend that it should not be stored below +5, that in itself would prevent me from trusting it in bolts or trigger mechanisms.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for this I guess I will have to try without from now on

good to know. I avoided using any sort of oil based product as I thought they were the cause to my issue. As it's turning out my Rem drilube may be the issue though I haven't noticed gumming up or any things of the likes other than this issue.
The guy that brought me the rifle used a graphite lube on the bolt, which in turn created a paste when it mixed with the lubercant applied by the factory, and hummed up the firing pin and spring. Too much of a good thing is no good sometimes.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:07 AM

Factory ammo or handload?
Old 12-03-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Looking at the data sheet, they recommend that it should not be stored below +5, that in itself would prevent me from trusting it in bolts or trigger mechanisms.
I use it in locks and squeaky doors/hinges at well below freezing with no issues. Once the carrier fluid dissipates it is dry. That dry film also repels water.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
I use it in locks and squeaky doors/hinges at well below freezing with no issues. Once the carrier fluid dissipates it is dry. That dry film also repels water.
A firing pin doesn't have to slow down much to not provide consistent ignition, I don't see door hinges or most locks being as critical. But to each his own. I will continue to run the bolt internals on my hunting rifles dry.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:48 PM

I had the same thing happen on a heavy beamed buck back in the 80"s with a M700...it was very cold and I had way to much oil inside the bolt...live and learn!
Old 12-03-2016, 04:42 PM

I saw this happen with a M700 when 3n1 oil was liberally poured into the bolt and trigger. When I pulled the stock the trigger looked like it was covered in Saran wrap.
Another cause could be the case shoulder getting pushed back too far when reloading.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:50 PM

Yes live and learn lol
Thanks all for the replies
I believe it's a combination of things
Light spring used by manufacturer and
Cold weather together withfrozen condensation on sweating metals, in and out of truck at my favourite spots.
I am using CCI 200 primers which have the heaviest anvil of all brands of primers. A trusted source, Vietnam veteran enlightened me about the primers. He also recommended I try M-Pro7 LPX clp lube. And wiping down to leave a very thin coat. Their website claims this product is good down to -85*F. So I should be good in the temperature department. He told me this is the new version of breakfree CLP that he trusted his life with in the Corps.

I will give this a shot. And report back if I have any issues. I don't believe in leaving any metal to metal friction contact nonlubricated. Wiped down to a thin film hopefully will solve my frustrating dilemma.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:36 PM

I wouldn't rule out excessive headspace either. A case that can wiggle in the chamber won't help things any...
Old 12-05-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
I wouldn't rule out excessive headspace either. A case that can wiggle in the chamber won't help things any...

That's not an issue
My chamber is tight verified with headspace comparator on multiple times fired brass. My handloads are neck sized.

Very well could be an issue to another guy though. Definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks

Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 AM

Light primer strikes can occur if the primer is seated too deep.