Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-10-2016, 08:02 AM

Default Winchester barrel replacement question

I'm looking at replacing the barrel on my model 70 featherweight .243 down the road a little bit. I'm just starting to do my research and was wondering if there's some experienced guys with advice that are willing to share.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:07 AM

On a Winchester 70 Chuck is the first AO member to come to mind to ask; have you chosen a gunsmith for the task yet? I've. I've not had such work done myself, but I do recall the dizzying number of barrel profiles to choose from when I was researching the idea for one particular Model 70 I had that wasn't grouping well.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 AM

Is it a crf or push feed?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:19 AM

Unless you have an attachment to your rifle you may be better off just buying a new gun. It will cost upwards off a grand to rebarrel a rifle. I just rebarreled a model 70 myself but I was able to do the install myself so it was cost was a lot less. The main reason I did this was for the experience and getting an cartridge that's not currently chambered in a factory rifle
Old 12-10-2016, 11:16 AM

Replacement barrel from all 3 Alberta manufacturers, run between $400-$500 tax in.
Gunsmiths will charge you anywhere from $200-$500 to cut a chamber, thread, install and crown the barrel.

Finishing the barrel is on top of that, likely anywhere from $200-$400. Depending on the type of finish you request.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-10-2016, 01:17 PM

Advice hmmm ?
Make sure you want to spend the money ,use $1000 as a figure to rebarrel .

Do you want a special caliber or specific chamber ,throat dimensions . Are you an experienced reloader ,if not I usually recommend staying with standard chamber specs.

Barrel contour and length are a personal choice . Limits of contour may be dictated by size of stock .IE will the contour be able to fit in the stock without coming out of the sides of the stock .

You can change calibers that with work your action .

I have found after market barrels to be more accurate , shoot a variety of bullets more accurate and closer to the same point of impact than factory barrels .
Old 12-11-2016, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the input on the subject it gave me lots to think about. I'm very fond of this little rifle it's always been a natural feel throwing it up to shoot. I think I'll go the easy and probably cheaper route and purchase a new one put it away for the rainy day when I have to retire it to the display.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:08 AM
Banned

Does it really need a new barrel?
I would clean it really well multiple times with wipeout and possibly recrown it before giving up on it.
Especially for a hunting gun.