Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 PM

Default Husqvarna Carbine, who's owned one?

My search for a short, handy bolt gun has turned up a few Husqvarna 1600 carbines. I like the Husqvarna rifles but have never handled a carbine, the ones I have handled have been fairly heavy rifles. Just wondering if anyone here has owned one and can tell me what I can expect in terms of weight and handling in a carbine length 1600?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:18 PM

Very nice rifle. Still have one in 30-06. One of the original lightweights. Quick to point and easy to carry all day long. Watch out for cracked stocks.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Banned

I have a model 7000 1640 imperial lightweight 30-06 built in 1964. 21" barrel weighs just over 7lbs with a fixed 6 leupold. Heavier trigger that isn't adjustable. Very accurate little gun. Was shooting 165 interlocks into small groups a few weeks ago at the range. Bought it off the ee here many years ago. Love this little piece.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:49 AM

They are great little firearms. I have one in 308, very nice unit. Maybe not tack driving accuracy, but very consistent with the factory load I use 1.25-1.5moa. Better if I take my time. Balances nicely, but not a true lightweight like some of the newer offerings out there. A classic, with excellent fit, finish, and character! I'll pop it on the scale tonight maybe, and see what it weighs. I'm thinking 7.5ish all up.

As said trigger on mine is non adjustable, but has been cleaned up, and over travel taken out.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:01 AM
Banned

I have a .270 Win Husqvarna feather weight carbine built in 1954 ,( Mauser commercial bolt action) original stock, ( glass bedded) trigger worked to about 3.5 lb crisp pull, topped with tally rings and bases , 3x12x40 Vortex scope, about 7.5 bl with sling

Deadly accurate , digests wide variety of ammo with very little variation

Had a 30-06 identical, but sold it, now kicking self xxs
Old 12-12-2016, 09:33 PM

Thanks guys, I've basically got it narrowed down between one of these and a Remington 660. Tough choice, I've handled a 600 and to me it felt maybe a bit too light and handy... but a pretty neat little rifle. On the other hand I sure like mauser actions, and 7-7.5 lbs is about ideal IMO, tough call. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 PM

I lied, just weighed mine. It's 7lbs 10.9oz, that includes leupold one piece base and rings, Leupold 2.5-8, and leather sling. Still a handy little unit with beautiful deep bluing, and a nice piece of lumber to boot.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
I have a model 7000 1640 imperial lightweight 30-06 built in 1964. 21" barrel weighs just over 7lbs with a fixed 6 leupold. Heavier trigger that isn't adjustable. Very accurate little gun. Was shooting 165 interlocks into small groups a few weeks ago at the range. Bought it off the ee here many years ago. Love this little piece.

That's sure some nice wood on that one. Beauty of a gun!