Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2016, 10:35 PM

Default Thinking of custom rimfires

I'm thinking of making a custom rim fire rifle , wanted your guys opinion on 17hmr or 22wmr , and places to get barrels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2016, 10:57 PM

What kind of custom? like doing up a 10-22 or using a stiller action?
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-12-2016, 12:04 AM

A bolt setup

Old 12-12-2016, 12:27 AM

Whats your intended purpose for the build? Long range gophers? Or tiny little groups on paper?

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-12-2016, 11:42 AM

IMO, the cheapest way to do this is to use a cz455.
Lilja makes drop in barrels for the 455. ( Corlanes will import them.)
Timney ($$$) and Rifle Basix($$) make triggers or you can get a Yo Dave kit($).
Boyd's makes some stocks for the 455, or just reuse your stock.

Have you considered an Anschutz ?
Old 12-12-2016, 12:15 PM

Talk to Gary at bighorn sales. He could get you one of those stiller 40x rimfire actions and a benchmark barrel you'd have a rediculously accurate rifle. Been pondering a high dollar rimfire build for some time, just don't see myself using one much though.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 12-12-2016, 12:23 PM

It surprises me that more guys don't build high-end rimfires, they do after all get used a whole lot more than that the custom centerfires we have in the safe.

My only high-end custom 22 Long rifle is my competition silhouette rifle. For a standard sporter I am happy with a Cooper bought years ago. But no question for all out? Stiller and the benchmark of the way to go. I have a three groove benchmark of my 54-18msr silhouette rifle that is ridiculous.

Just be certain to chamber it with the reamer designed for the ammunition you want to shoot. It is crazy how many different reamers are out there for 22LR.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
It surprises me that more guys don't build high-end rimfires, they do after all get used a whole lot more than that the custom centerfires we have in the safe.
I think that if there were more competitions in AB you would see more high end builds. For most guys around here, shooting a 22 means shooting gophers or plinking with their buddies. A stock cz is more than enough for this. Step up to an Anschutz 1416 for $1300 or a 1710 for $2000 and people start to question the economy. A Cooper runs for about $3k. Not many people are gonna spend that to shoot gophers. (Not that I would disagree with anyone that chose to. In fact, I would encourage it. )

I would guess that the Stiller/Benchmark build will set you back somewhere around $4k. I can't see many guys spending that kind of money unless they are taking part in competitions. I know that I would love to have one, but I can't justify the cost.

Ammo was mentioned. To get the best results from a high end build, you're going to be shooting top of the line ammo. Quality 22 ammo is not cheap. You sure won't catch me pumpin' Center-X into gophers. But, if it was a competition, why not?

For me, top end means an Annie or a cz build. I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone who wanted more.

Back to the OP. He's looking for a 22wmr or a 17hmr. This limits his options in some ways. I don't think the Stiller is an option for the 22mag or 17, but I could be wrong. The cz/lilja build is a possibility. Of course he can do a build off of any commercial action. Money is his only limitation.
For high end production rifles Cooper makes one ($3k) and Anschutz makes a couple($1300 and $3500). There are others.

Another concern is the availability of ammo. There are not a lot of choices in 17hmr and 22wmr. This is a limiting factor when looking for the ammo that will give you the accuracy that you expect .
Old 12-12-2016, 01:52 PM

All great points.

I read HMR and 22 mag, but somehow strayed into LRs in my response.

For either of those a used Cooper can be had for less than $2000. Whether it outshoots a 452 American is another story! 😉
Old 12-12-2016, 01:59 PM

I'd be betting on the Cooper. Very nice guns.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:10 PM

I picked up twin Classics in 22LR and 17HMR several years ago when Wholesale Sports got out of the Cooper business.

Awesome rifles. They're not for sale. 😄
Old 12-12-2016, 02:14 PM

Drop a 22lr action in this bad boy https://mdttac.ca/lss-22-chassis-system.html
Old 12-12-2016, 03:30 PM

I have a very nice Cooper build with a custom New Zealand blank that shoots very well, but for all out accuracy, my Anschutz 54 MS-R holds the edge. My Anschutz 1907R was even more accurate, but it was just too heavy to use anywhere but at the range, so when I had the opportunity to sell it for a profit, I let it go.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:44 PM

A cooper custom Classic in 22LR would be very nice, but at 1/2 the price you could buy a anschutz that will most likely out shoot it - although it won't be near as pretty. At least that's my way of thinking.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
A cooper custom Classic in 22LR would be very nice, but at 1/2 the price you could buy a anschutz that will most likely out shoot it - although it won't be near as pretty. At least that's my way of thinking.
It's hard to argue with that.

Although, a while back I had two 17 HMR's. An Anschutz top end 1717, and my Cooper classic. Off the sandbags the Anschutz outshot the Cooper, basically under half inch versus five-eights to three-quarter inch groups at 100 yds. But once off the sandbags and in the field the Cooper fit me so much better I could hit much better with it. The Annie went away and I still have the Cooper.

Last edited by RickF; 12-12-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
If I wanted another Cooper in 22lr, I would be shopping on the EE at CGN. I purchased a mint LVT there last winter for $1600, and I have seen deals almost as good since.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:54 PM

I wouldn't mind trying a New Ultra Light Arms Model 20 rimfire, if I had the cash.

http://newultralightarms.com/?page_id=10
Old 12-12-2016, 11:55 PM

Is it legal to make your own receiver ?

Old 12-13-2016, 12:50 PM

Hey Kelly~with zero experience building a rifle of any kind, I'm probably the wrong guy to be chiming in! However, I did read all the replies so far and feel like chiming in anyway. I own or HAVE owned several 17HMRs, a couple of 22WMRs, couple of 17M2s, more 22s than I can remember~though I maintain a relatively modest collection of $600 (or less) guns now.

17HMR vs 22WMR~what are you planning on doing with this gun? Reason I ask~my experience is that 22WMR is an inherently inaccurate caliber regardless of the gun it's being shot in~COMPARED to 17HMR and most decent 22LR. It has more killing power than 17HMR/17M2 and 22LR so it has it's place...but punching small holes in paper isn't one of them. Doesn't mean it's not worth having, but whether or not it's a caliber worth building a custom rifle on? My opinion would be "no".

While my nicest 22s are a CZ452 Varmint and a BRNO 2E (452 with an after market trigger kit) I've had some experience shooting Anschutz and quite honestly, I consider Anschutz to BE the ultimate rimfire guns. Coopers are prettier, but should the lottery gods ever smile upon me...I'm calling-up Nordic Marksman with my fresh new gold card.

Back to caliber choice/accuracy/application~if it's paper punching and gopher-slaying, I'd be hard pressed to pick anything BUT a .22 personally and as stated, I'd beat a path right to the Anschutz door too. 17HMR~I've had teriffic accuracy from a CZ 452 Varmint (as in, 3/8" group @ 100 yards) but that was using 20gr. HPs when I wanted an HMR that shot 17gr. BTs better. Regardless, I'm not sure whether or not I could be convinced to spend a large amount of money on a custom 17HMR when factory guns (for me) have shot so well. That's also a function of my budgetary constraints..so maybe not a concern to others. For the record, I consider 17HMR to be an inherently accurate caliber to begin with, and good ammo (ie, Hornady) can be remarkable. There aren't THAT many choices, but Winchester 17HMR and 22WMR has been nothing short of awful in any 17HMR CZ, Savage or Marlin I've tried it with.

So, bottom line for me?

1. 22LR~best choice for target, or 100 yard-ish gophers. I'd probably buy an Anschutz before building anything. I recently saw a rifle of theirs called a "Tactical Trainer" and while there seems to be nothing "tactical" about it, I can't even look at the photos of it. Too green with envy.

2. 22WMR~I'd MAYBE buy a CZ-grade rifle at the MOST, but would feel pretty lucky if it even shot a 1" group @ 100 yards. I'd track-down a model 452 if/when the time comes....but I doubt it will for me.

3. 17HMR~I don't have any experience shooting an HMR snazzier than the CZ 452 Varmint I made the mistake of selling. I have no personal use for a 17HMR that shoots any better than that gun did, so springing big $ on a custom gun in that caliber...?

Good luck~let us know what direction you go in! I love my rimfires!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:34 PM

If you are looking for accuracy I would stay with 22LR.

Cooper has a website and if I remember right, they guarantee their 22LR with 5 shots into 1/4" at 50 yards.

They guarantee their 17 HMR and 22 Mag with 3 shots into 1/4" at 50 yards.

The price for the top end 22LR and 22Mag and 17HMR would all be about the same.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:45 PM

"Groundhogger" has some very sound advise, he replied to my post with some great info on some issues I was having with a Ruger 77-22 Mag a couple of months back that left the factory with a less than perfect bore. Needless to say I am a Ruger fan and didn't want to turn my back on this rifle, so took some time to lap the bore and fuss with the trigger and am happy with the results. It will now consistently place 3 shots into the inch at 100 yds and on the odd occasion has let me do it with 5 rounds. Which for a 22 Mag is more than should be asked for as Groundhogger had previously mentioned.
So far I haven't seen any mention of the Winchester reproduction by Miroku of the Model 52 22lr Sporter that was available for a while. They cant be overly common on the used market but they are out there. If its an affordable custom looking 22 your after check it out. David.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Hey Kelly~with zero experience building a rifle of any kind, I'm probably the wrong guy to be chiming in! However, I did read all the replies so far and feel like chiming in anyway. I own or HAVE owned several 17HMRs, a couple of 22WMRs, couple of 17M2s, more 22s than I can remember~though I maintain a relatively modest collection of $600 (or less) guns now.

17HMR vs 22WMR~what are you planning on doing with this gun? Reason I ask~my experience is that 22WMR is an inherently inaccurate caliber regardless of the gun it's being shot in~COMPARED to 17HMR and most decent 22LR. It has more killing power than 17HMR/17M2 and 22LR so it has it's place...but punching small holes in paper isn't one of them. Doesn't mean it's not worth having, but whether or not it's a caliber worth building a custom rifle on? My opinion would be "no".

While my nicest 22s are a CZ452 Varmint and a BRNO 2E (452 with an after market trigger kit) I've had some experience shooting Anschutz and quite honestly, I consider Anschutz to BE the ultimate rimfire guns. Coopers are prettier, but should the lottery gods ever smile upon me...I'm calling-up Nordic Marksman with my fresh new gold card.

Back to caliber choice/accuracy/application~if it's paper punching and gopher-slaying, I'd be hard pressed to pick anything BUT a .22 personally and as stated, I'd beat a path right to the Anschutz door too. 17HMR~I've had teriffic accuracy from a CZ 452 Varmint (as in, 3/8" group @ 100 yards) but that was using 20gr. HPs when I wanted an HMR that shot 17gr. BTs better. Regardless, I'm not sure whether or not I could be convinced to spend a large amount of money on a custom 17HMR when factory guns (for me) have shot so well. That's also a function of my budgetary constraints..so maybe not a concern to others. For the record, I consider 17HMR to be an inherently accurate caliber to begin with, and good ammo (ie, Hornady) can be remarkable. There aren't THAT many choices, but Winchester 17HMR and 22WMR has been nothing short of awful in any 17HMR CZ, Savage or Marlin I've tried it with.

So, bottom line for me?

1. 22LR~best choice for target, or 100 yard-ish gophers. I'd probably buy an Anschutz before building anything. I recently saw a rifle of theirs called a "Tactical Trainer" and while there seems to be nothing "tactical" about it, I can't even look at the photos of it. Too green with envy.

2. 22WMR~I'd MAYBE buy a CZ-grade rifle at the MOST, but would feel pretty lucky if it even shot a 1" group @ 100 yards. I'd track-down a model 452 if/when the time comes....but I doubt it will for me.

3. 17HMR~I don't have any experience shooting an HMR snazzier than the CZ 452 Varmint I made the mistake of selling. I have no personal use for a 17HMR that shoots any better than that gun did, so springing big $ on a custom gun in that caliber...?

Good luck~let us know what direction you go in! I love my rimfires!
Excellent advice.

My only add would be: Unless you are specifically building a bench rest or silhouette rig a custom build will not give you a better shooting gun than you can buy off the shelf.

22 WMR accuracy is constrained by the relatively poor ammo you can get for it. There is no such thing as match 22 WMR.

17 HMR is accurate if you can find the right batch for the gun. Then buy a lot of that batch.

22 RF, with top match ammo will shoot far better than either a 22 Mag or the 17 HMR.

Factory Anschutz in any of those cartridges will be hard to out shoot whether sporter, target, biathlon or Benchrest. I have a few Annies, and most every other high end RF made, and have never found a gun that will out shoot them in their class. 95% of Biathlon is shot and won with Annies.