Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Default Can't drive to Spencer

The department of national defence closed off the truck access trail to Spencer permanently last week. They put up a big steel gate. The only way to get there now is by off highway vehicles. What do u fisherman think? It's a great fishery but it's not going to be easy to get there now!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:39 PM

Selfishly I think it's great. I've been fishing it for many years and accessing it by quad or sled. There's been a ridiculous amount of trucks there the last few years. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:50 PM

the road in from Siebert suck anyways, really tight for a pickup truck to drive in.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:02 PM

That is the trail coming from Touchwood?

I haven't been there yet, heard you could drive there but wasn't sure if people were doing that from Touchwood or via the Siebert trail which you aren't supposed to use with any off road vehicle.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:05 PM

I assume he's referring to the Seibert trail. I take the Seibert trail every time, talked to F & W on the trail and that rule isn't enforced. Never had an issue.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Selfishly I think it's great. I've been fishing it for many years and accessing it by quad or sled. There's been a ridiculous amount of trucks there the last few years. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all.
X2

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I assume he's referring to the Seibert trail. I take the Seibert trail every time, talked to F & W on the trail and that rule isn't enforced. Never had an issue.
I figured that was the truck way in.

Weird that they would specifically make a rule saying not to use that trail and then not enforce it. I wonder if they are barring only the truck traffic with the gate or if they will put up signs and start enforcing the rule now.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:51 AM

Is Spencer still accessible by truck crossing Touchwood and taking the bush trail? We did it 10+ years ago but haven't heard of any reports lately.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:39 PM

It's a good snowmobile trail but not really recommended by truck. Very steep bank where u would get onto the ice. If u try it bring a chainsaw!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaquip View Post
It's a good snowmobile trail but not really recommended by truck. Very steep bank where u would get onto the ice. If u try it bring a chainsaw!

I thought about going in with a chain saw but the bank on the spencer end is pretty washed out
Old 03-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Sounds like she is quad/snowmobile only now then. Probably a good thing from what I was hearing, one of the only lakes open to retention so can use the extra protection.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 PM

A lot of small walleyes. Not one of the best lakes, for the amount of time put in getting there. Big hill going on if you go the Touchwood way. Just a trail really.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:48 AM

As expected it was closed due to being an illegal access point.

http://www.albertaparks.ca/lakeland/...weapons-range/

Quote:
To deter illegal access, the trail from the northeast corner of Seibert Lake in Lakeland Provincial Recreation Area (NW 34-66-09-W4) to the southeast corner of Spencer Lake (SW 2-067-09-W4) is being closed.
The Department of National Defense considers using this trail as an act of trespassing on the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range.
This trail is being closed as of Friday, February 24, 2017, with a fence being erected across the trail on the Air Weapons Range boundary by the Department of National Defense.
ATV/snowmobile access to Spencer Lake is still permitted down the north/south running Air Weapons Range boundary line from Seibert Lake to Spencer Lake, and from Touchwood Lake to Spencer Lake on the Spencer Lake Trail.
A good reminder to those that may not realize but it is illegal to go on the weapons range land, that includes going to shore on the lake anywhere except in the bay on the far west end.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410 View Post
A lot of small walleyes. Not one of the best lakes, for the amount of time put in getting there. Big hill going on if you go the Touchwood way. Just a trail really.
Been years since we sledded in from Touchwood, I remember the trail and hill thinking a pick up would be tough in here. We did catch a few and i lucked into a 13 lb pike on a tiny jig and rod combo. Now that was a fun retrive and lucky enough, lipped it. Back in it went. With the lack of harvest, i'm surprised the eyes are small. We went in as we kept hearing about big walleye there yet never landed a big girl. This was 20 yrs ago.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:27 PM

Anyone been here lately, is the gate there??
Old 02-20-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
The route to Spencer from Siebert has always been an illegal route. The route from Touchwood is the only legal access.

It’s out of F&W jurisdiction to enforce, it’s the department of defence that would need to enforce. I only saw the military out there once in all the years I was out that way.

Fishing for me on Spencer has only been average with fish being smallish. It’s been a number of years since I’ve fished it. Tougher access might be a good thing.