Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 PM

Default K-Country Mountain Lakes

Hello,
First off I'd like to thank the admins for accepting me into your forum, I look forward to talking fishing with you guys in the future! I'm planning a fishing trip for next mid-June and was hoping to hike to some of the lakes in K-country searching for my 1st cutties! I know it's early season but it's the only chance I have :/ Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I've been looking at Lillian/Galatea, Picklejar, and a couple others. Ideally I'd narrow it down to two lakes worth hiking into! Any info appreciated PM's welcome as well!

Cheers
Old 10-24-2017, 10:01 PM

First thing you need to check next year's regulations when they come out to see which are even open mid June. If memory serves "most" are not open until July.

Out of your list I guess you would have to do Lillian/Galatea and luckily they are on the same trail so you can try them both out the same trek.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
First thing you need to check next year's regulations when they come out to see which are even open mid June. If memory serves "most" are not open until July.

Out of your list I guess you would have to do Lillian/Galatea and luckily they are on the same trail so you can try them both out the same trek.
I'm not sure if they usually change from year to year but from what I see now Liilian is open year-round. Good catch for PickleJar though, thanks! Some others I noticed open year-round are Headwall, Carnarvon, and Lake of the Horns.. have you fished any of them? Thanks for the reply
Old 10-24-2017, 10:30 PM

Actually I see now that the 40 is closed until mid-June, right after I can be there lol. That narrows down my search a lot, should have done my research properly XD
Old 10-25-2017, 08:03 AM

My suggesting is take a look at the stocking report for ES1 - i.e. not K Country. I'm pretty sure there are some lakes open all year on that list and might even be less well known.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:27 AM

I often have a lot of fun fishing for arctic grayling in June at Bear Pond. It's further SE than the area you are looking into, and it's not cutties, but it's another option at that time of year for you.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyFishes View Post
Actually I see now that the 40 is closed until mid-June, right after I can be there lol. That narrows down my search a lot, should have done my research properly XD
You can still get to Lillian before the rest of the 40 is open.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:50 AM

I'll be sure to check the stocking report, thanks! And definitely heading to Bear Pond afterwards, Grayling is another species I've never targeted. Yeah, I'll have to choose between Lillian & Headwall, the other ones I mentioned seem to be on the closed part of the 40. Leaning towards Lillian as I can also try the two Galatea lakes if the bit isn't on.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyFishes View Post
I'll be sure to check the stocking report, thanks! And definitely heading to Bear Pond afterwards, Grayling is another species I've never targeted. Yeah, I'll have to choose between Lillian & Headwall, the other ones I mentioned seem to be on the closed part of the 40. Leaning towards Lillian as I can also try the two Galatea lakes if the bit isn't on.
Keep in mind that getting between Lillian and Bear the road is closed and you would need to go the long way around.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:17 PM

Definitely, thanks for the heads up. My trip continues south into BC (Fernie) so we'd need to go the long way around anyways. Too bad we won't be able to the drive down the 40.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:32 PM

Well it opens the 15th which is "mid june"

Tags
cutthroat, k-country, trout