Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Default Athabasca River closed for fishing (Whitecourt- Jasper)

Just read the regs....I see they shut down that river for fishing this year.
Thanks Obed mines for that spill you had last fall.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Question Really?

Don't have the regs on me.... What section did they close?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:08 PM

Yeah which section? I live like 5 mins from the river in ft mac and was hoping to do some fishing as soon as im allowed
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 PM

Default ....

From the regulations:

Following a release of coal mine tailings pond contents into fish-bearing
waters, all fish caught from the mainstem Athabasca River within ES3
and Apetowun and Plante creeks must be released. The use of all bait in
these waters is banned.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 PM

you can still fish out of the river just catch and release. and it says it only applys to ES3. wouldn't apply if your near fort mac
Old 05-07-2014, 06:45 PM

Hey Folks! I work for the RMWB up in Fort McMurray, also head up the newly formed Wood Buffalo Sportfishing Association (hopefully have a derby going later this summer!).

My position with the RMWB puts me into everything environmental and health related. I was in more or less continuous communication with Obed during the release to the river, and had my group performing some pretty detailed and frequent testing within the river. I also regularly meet and talk with the local Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development officers.

There are no indications that anything is "off" within the Athabasca River near Fort McMurray or north all the way to Fort Chipewyan. Water quality remains to be excellent all the way. I was inspecting the shore ice myself this afternoon, and plan on being down there this weekend and next week to start fishing.

Tight lines!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM

I was told from Jasper to Whitecourt is now catch and release only. My Sept long weekend spot is in that area. Truly concerned on the consequence of that spill over the next few years. Going to take a road trip after the spring run off and have a look see at the river banks etc. Curious if there will be any kind of sludge or left overs on the rocks etc.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:17 PM

It has been catch and release for a couple of years now from jasper park border down to whitecourt. In jasper park mind you have to buy a lisence you were allowed two rainbows. They shut down rainbows out of the park because of the athabasca rainbow. I guess I'm the park they are more abundant and have more spawning grounds is what I heard. Not sure if you can still keep rainbows in the park though.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddy View Post
It has been catch and release for a couple of years now from jasper park border down to whitecourt. In jasper park mind you have to buy a lisence you were allowed two rainbows. They shut down rainbows out of the park because of the athabasca rainbow. I guess I'm the park they are more abundant and have more spawning grounds is what I heard. Not sure if you can still keep rainbows in the park though.

Whitefish for sure and I believe pike and walleye were still open last year to catch and keep on that stretch of river. I would have to double check the last two with last years regs.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:17 PM

I live in Whitcourt. I only know of ONE fish caught since that spill last year in this section of river. I have a jet boat and fished all up and down the Athabasca river and caught exactly nothing last year. NOTHING not even a bite. Its nutz.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Wow that's crazy upstream around hinton it seems as though the fishing is awesome this year. For trout anyways. That's all I've caught around here besides a few whites and grayling but I don't target them. Has anyone else fished the whitecourt area and have the same outcome. I fished there quite a few years ago but I remember we caught some monster walleye out of there where the McLeod joins up I beleive or somewhere close anyways
Old 05-14-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
I live in Whitcourt. I only know of ONE fish caught since that spill last year in this section of river. I have a jet boat and fished all up and down the Athabasca river and caught exactly nothing last year. NOTHING not even a bite. Its nutz.
I want to take my aunt, who lives in WCT fishing. Recommend any spots?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 AM

Default Regulations inside the park

I'm not sure how much science goes into making the regulations for inside the the park. It seems the opening and closing dates for the lake and rivers do not coincide with spawning times.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnugen View Post
I want to take my aunt, who lives in WCT fishing. Recommend any spots?
You could always go to Carson lake. Can catch a few small rainbow trout. Can fish from shore and catch them if you don't have a boat.