Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2017, 01:40 AM

Default Please help me! Slave lake area

Hey guys from Edmonton and I'm going camping to lesser slave lake for the first time for a week with the old lady. While walleye and pike are tons of fun I actually wouldn't mind hooking into some brook, or brown trout so I can cross one of them off our bucket list lol. (Or anything like whitefish,grayling,or perch for that matter)

Looking at the Mywildalberta website I can see that there is lily lake (with its 3km hike) and Chrystina (Windy) Lake about 1 1/2 hours south of slave lake (both only brook trout) my question is which one Would we have a higher chance of actually hooking into something? I know lily lake was last stocked in 2016 and Chrystina (Windy) Lake was stocked this year...
Or does anyone have any other suggestion on where to go?
Thank you for any help you can provide!
(Feel free to P.M me if you wanna keep it private.)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:31 PM

brook at lily are delicious and the view from the top of marten mountain (where the trail starts) is great. hike is nice might be too much on a hot day though. if your not so hungry the catch is always good at Chrystina but do not eat the fish the waste treatment plant is too close. can get whitefish and perch anytime in the lake (both are rare for me). i caught a grayling in the slave river once too. i'd recommend if you have a boat fish slave lake if not fish the river both are good.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:09 PM

Default Dan you are the man

Thank you very much dan you are the man! I will be taking my 12ft aluminum with 6.5hp motor and 45lbs trolling motor for back-up also plan on taking a small rubber raft for lily lake as I wouldn't mind the nice nature walk and floating around there

Does anybody know if I'll be able to get a boat down the hill anywhere at marten river campground (I've heard around the amphitheater there is a trail) or do I have to drive to the town of slave to launch (no trailer it's a car/truck topper)
Thanks again
Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 PM

a raft at lily is perfect! hopefully they bite for you. i would recommend just using the public boat launch on the river or at canyon creek. unless your real tough then i would say just drag er to the lake lol. the amphitheatre in the middle of the bush is a cool sight too. I'd say just scout out the trail when you get there and decide when you see it.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:26 PM

Default Thank you agin!

I shall take a look around once I get up there thank you so much for your help really looking forward to this trip!!!

Tags
fishing, slave lake, trout, walleye, whitefish