Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 11:26 PM

My tip is if you are trolling and not catching many fish with your choice of lure speed up. I had a day where I didn't catch squat and when talking to another guy that night he suggested I was trolling to slow. I sped up the next day and couldn't keep the fish off.
Also had the experience of very few fish biting until I put on a 1.5 inch countdown rapala with a brookie pattern. Then it was great fishing.

Good luck.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-23-2017, 07:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
Lol. We trolled one night...two guy with truck bumpers aka willow leafs and me with a doc spratley. I didn't get the most fish but I got by and far the biggest.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
So you landed one

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-23-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So you landed one
Haha just 1 yep. Might have still beat them by weight though. And way cooler fighting a big rainbow on 5wt than a 30lbs pike rig with a bumper attached.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Strangely, my most productive method on a trout lake has been to troll with my fly rod. Sinking tip line and a streamer.
I'm with Okotokian on this one. I've found nothing better. I use a full sink, type 7 line. You can drag them up off bottom on a slow troll or speed up for a fast feeding bow to hammer. You feel these fights

If you don't have a fly rod for you or the kids and are not interesting in investing, you can still look into sink types or something called led core line. Both will get your spinning rod line down nicely and keep it down and in the zone you want.

For flies, just go with a crystal flash wholly bugger fly. Common and available everywhere and works like a damn.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2017, 02:35 PM

Thanks everyone. So many new things to try. I've been making a list reading these tips and will have to pick up a few new items to try out. I'm looking forward with experimenting and seeing what works best. Like some of you have said, I guess the fish will tell me what they prefer, so just bring out different things to try.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
Haha just 1 yep. Might have still beat them by weight though. And way cooler fighting a big rainbow on 5wt than a 30lbs pike rig with a bumper attached.

I hear ya, when I was younger the old man would be dragging a willow leaf and hunk of worm, things were not working out so I would put on a fly, three feet in front a split shot lead weight, and let her out, way out well I tell ya the fight is on...he was stubborn and stuck to his ways but I like catching and not fishing...

Ya gotta have a load of options in the ol' tickle trunk I call a tackle box if not well your just fishing

Old 07-23-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
Thanks everyone. So many new things to try. I've been making a list reading these tips and will have to pick up a few new items to try out. I'm looking forward with experimenting and seeing what works best. Like some of you have said, I guess the fish will tell me what they prefer, so just bring out different things to try.
You got it, options, never limit yourself, good luck out there.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 AM

Fished this lake for many years and by far the best results have always been fly rod with sinking line. Usually use a black gnat or mosquito but if you are using power bait the hook doesn't make much difference. Have also caught a lot with a willow leaf but not near as fun.

Tags
carson, rainbow, trolling, trout