Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 PM

Default 1st time fly fishing

Went out to muir lake to try fly fishing. It went ok for my 1st time. One thing I notice though is tangling on the spool. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Does anyone know any good website that teaching the basics? Like tieing the leader on the main line. Would I be able to use any type of line for the leader? I have some Pline floroclear 4 pound test.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 PM

What do you mean tangling on the spool? First off...... am the furthest thing from a fly fishing expert. The only time I have tangled up my spool is when i ripped line off too aggresively and the spool kept spinning and "back wound" my line....If you need to practice your casting go out to a large soccer feild (or equivalent) do not use a hook! And cast away....try single and doule hauls, mending etc....When you want to get fancy you can place a little target out there and try to hit it....thats how I learned to cast, and get a feel for my first rod.

Lefty
Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 PM

two most likely causes....your drag is too loose, which is causing the spool to overrun when you are stripping line, or, you are reeling in slack line. Keep tension on the line when reeling it in by running it through your fingers of your rod hand.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:14 PM

there's a drag setting on the reel? lol. I'm new to this.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
Went out to muir lake to try fly fishing. It went ok for my 1st time. One thing I notice though is tangling on the spool. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Does anyone know any good website that teaching the basics? Like tieing the leader on the main line. Would I be able to use any type of line for the leader? I have some Pline floroclear 4 pound test.
your pulling the line to fast and your drag is set to low.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:34 PM

This should work for you - see below (Just practice a couple of times to perfect your nail knot 1st) and then you will be set for loop to loop connection with pre tied leaders. Another option is to use a braided loop connector at the end of your line if the line doesn't come with a loop already - also see below.

If your reel comes with a drag adjustment, it NORMALLY is located on the opposite side from the handle and is a little knob that will increase or decrease the tension of the line as it comes off the reel (if the line is wound properly on the reel for right or left hand retrieve what ever you have set it up for).

http://midcurrent.com/videos/how-to-tie-a-nail-knot/

http://www.rioproducts.com/Braided_Loops.html

Any other questions you are free to PM me directly.

Peter
Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 PM

You should pick up some DVDs or books fom the library. Or buy some for yourself . I personally found the LL Bean book usefull. It is under 30 bucks. It is a larger book but makes some good bedtime reading.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 PM

Smile Tapered leader!

Buy and use tapered leader. It will "turn your fly over" at the end of the case because it is a bit stiffer near the knot.

Limp line will lay in a heap with the fly in the middle somewhere.

When you get better, and it won't take long, you will find that you will catch more with a longer leader and a finer tip.

Landing them is an other subject!