Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 07:38 AM

Default Wabamum yesterday

I never fished Wabamum last year but was there many times before. We were out yesterday and fished the regular spots (4-5) that are in my GPS. Although the fishing was good we did not bring in any walleye of any size. They were all consistently very small. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well. Or maybe my marked spots have been abandoned by the big ones.
It is nice to see that walleye are spawning and surviveing for sure.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:56 AM

It’s gonna be a few years yet before things even out and start to get better.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:26 AM

yep taht the new Wab....catch the same 16-18 INCH WALLEYE 40 times a day
Old 06-20-2020, 05:15 PM

I was there to saturday ,we must have landed 30 easy between 3 of use . They were bigger than last year ,but still smaller than pigeon lake..

It was a gong show at Wamamun , the provincial Boat launch was so full they stopped letting people in at noon I heard . So the town boat launch was really full I thing it was 3 blocks long from the rail crossing.
One jerk ,decided to drive past the long line up and butted in .When I told him where the line up started from he called me a ***** and said he would let me in front of him when he tried to cut me off .
Its a place I don't want to be if a storm comes up .
Old 06-20-2020, 07:35 PM

Default Wabamum

Always at least one entitled dick head wherever you go.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:33 AM

I should of posted a picture of his truck and boat , but his bad karma started to give it back to him as he could not start his boat to unload it .
Old 06-21-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I should of posted a picture of his truck and boat , but his bad karma started to give it back to him as he could not start his boat to unload it .
Old 06-21-2020, 04:12 PM

So I know for a fact 2-3 years ago I was catching and releasing walleye that were anywhere from 43 to over 50 cms. Where did they go or is there more poaching going on then we think??
And yes on Friday I just got out of there in time. The provincial park launch and beach was an absolute GONG SHOW.
I left about 4 p.m. A reminder to self of why I never go to any of the big lakes on week-ends.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:09 PM

Yesterday we went to wabamun to get some tags from home hardware to get our fishing draws. That launch was a zoo! I get worked up enough with the boat launch stupidity on our lake. I would be able to handle wabamuns.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangeorge View Post
So I know for a fact 2-3 years ago I was catching and releasing walleye that were anywhere from 43 to over 50 cms. Where did they go or is there more poaching going on then we think??
The only people poaching/eating Wabamun fish have to be ignorant of the train derailment. The **** that got dumped in that lake is nasty. Bunker oil and pole treatment oil. It's gonna stay in the ecosystem a long, long time :/
Old 06-23-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azashi View Post
The only people poaching/eating Wabamun fish have to be ignorant of the train derailment. The **** that got dumped in that lake is nasty. Bunker oil and pole treatment oil. It's gonna stay in the ecosystem a long, long time :/
Surprisingly, a water quality test done a few years back basically shows Wabamun to be amongst the cleanest prairie lakes in the province. Contaminants were also, for the most part, far lower or in line with other area lakes with natural sources.

Yeah, I know, crazy. But the study was done by the province.

I was surprised to (although the lake has always been cleaner "looking" compared to other lakes in the area).