Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2020, 02:14 AM

I have a similar problem. Only I over share on the water not on the internet. I live in a community by the river in the city so many people walk by and ask "any fish today?" I usually am so excited I tell my story of the many 20+ inch trout I have caught. Now my favorite spot is over run will garbage, discarded tackle , empty bait bags (Not permitted where I fish) and even found tags off a brand new ugly stik.

About a year ago fishing changed my life in a profound we and want to share with others but now answer with "not bad" or "I caught one over there". I feel bad as others on the river helped me out when I was learning but it impossible to tell the good apples from the bad.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:56 AM

Wayne - As I said before, love your topics, stories & pictures !

I spent a life time fishing in 4 Provinces.
Even before the internet I do not tell.
Learned that as a young lad.

I must like fishing.....I can remember every place I fished , how to get there & how to approach "that special hole" , going back to 6 years old !

Have not fished much since I bought this place & started building cars again though.

I've never asked for fishing spots......
Old 06-21-2020, 05:48 AM

I remember the days people just hid down the street and tried to follow you to your fishing spot instead of using all this fancy technology

The best hunting and fishing spots I have found over the years are places I did not hear people talk about because of this I stick to the pick a spot on the map and try it for the most part.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Where can you catch jumbo perch close to the city?
I'm not asking for your secret fishing spot, just a place with non stop jumbo perch action close to the city.
It's for the kids.
Best ever!! So true. Throw in the kids to make it an extra guilt trip. Take a hike leeches!

Wayne, thanks for stating what needs to be said. Have a great summer.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
I have a similar problem. Only I over share on the water not on the internet. I live in a community by the river in the city so many people walk by and ask "any fish today?" I usually am so excited I tell my story of the many 20+ inch trout I have caught. Now my favorite spot is over run will garbage, discarded tackle , empty bait bags (Not permitted where I fish) and even found tags off a brand new ugly stik.

About a year ago fishing changed my life in a profound we and want to share with others but now answer with "not bad" or "I caught one over there". I feel bad as others on the river helped me out when I was learning but it impossible to tell the good apples from the bad.
I agree. without fishing I doubt I would be here now, its the best way to cleanse a persons soul I believe, to be one with nature. Ive seen so many wonderful (and crazy) things while fishing, things many people could only dream of. I used to get excited in the city and brag to people walking by too, then I decided it was always a bad luck day, maybe a bite or two but nothing to write home about, even if she was a 6 foot long dino I hope people reading this thread dont think Im a selfish person, far from it but I learned over the years and especially since the internet began, to put the fish ahead of the people, its the only way our next generations will have the same opportunities we grew up with and hopefully it gets even better for them. It makes me mad to see a spot lined up wall to wall with people all intent on taking every fish in the river home, I dont care what nationality or culture I see a rainbow of people out there now who think thats how it needs to be done. no way to sustain any fishery if all you are out there for is a bucket of fish to sell in your restaurant ( err eat for dinner) its becoming less of a sport than an easy way to make money or feed all your friends and neighbors.. other than the prussians, killem all!!!! The fish are a resource for everyone not just for food. and I have no problem with taking some home to eat, but does it have to be every one dumb enough to bite a hook???? we have regulations for a reason, and most of the people I meet now have no clue what the regs even are! I really hope I dont run across someone killing sturgeon, remember a life sentence means a lot less the older and crankier you get

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-21-2020, 12:56 PM

I don't share my fishing spots and also don't ask anyone. Just check the Google maps and find a spot and try. Will tell you that out of 10 try one may be good. That's what fishing is about and I am happy with that.
Slightly off the topic
I met many fishermen while fishing from the shore and they don't have a clue about the regulations. Many of them doesn't know about bait ban. I'm not sure whether they don't care about it or don't no the importance of it. I guess the Education really helps and may be if anyone getting the license first time a mandatory training can be introduced. This is just a suggestion.
Additionally at the lakes on popular fishing spots and boat launches we can introduce a poster about the lake name, zone, what can be kept and what baits can be used etc. I know this will be added cost to spend and I think this will help.
Cheers
Old 06-21-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings View Post
I don't share my fishing spots and also don't ask anyone. Just check the Google maps and find a spot and try. Will tell you that out of 10 try one may be good. That's what fishing is about and I am happy with that.
Slightly off the topic
I met many fishermen while fishing from the shore and they don't have a clue about the regulations. Many of them doesn't know about bait ban. I'm not sure whether they don't care about it or don't no the importance of it. I guess the Education really helps and may be if anyone getting the license first time a mandatory training can be introduced. This is just a suggestion.
Additionally at the lakes on popular fishing spots and boat launches we can introduce a poster about the lake name, zone, what can be kept and what baits can be used etc. I know this will be added cost to spend and I think this will help.
Cheers
I find that one needs to fish lots of spots, and keep track of where they have had success in the past as well as the conditions that these places produce well under. After enough good spots have been found, figure out what these spots had in common and go looking for other places that have the same features. Eventually you should find that your success percentage for "calling your spots" off of a topo map starts to go up. Once again, always keep track of the conditions, if you fish a potentially good spot under marginal conditions, any results must be accepted as inconclusive.

This type of analysis is 100% responsible for the ongoing rise in my success rate, for both hunting and fishing. Exploring is vital, but connecting the dots is almost as important. Some days you might think you are wasting your time with the perpetual exploration, while others simply pound the same spots that have always produced for them, but eventually it starts to pay off.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:59 PM

The exact reason why I no longer post pictures of fish.

Burned too many times ...... had one particular place where I never saw a soul for years and years ............ ever ........ then a forum member here posts it and within weeks everyone on the planet is there.

That spot sucks now. Boats all over, fishing quality is way down and no longer peaceful.

I guess it was my own fault.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:49 PM

Geez I thought this was about slimy leeches so never read it. I am much the same. Used to post pics etc all the time, suggest spots etc. but not any more. Guys like Wayne and I have fished together camped together winter and summer and never an issue. I just hate when people almost want coordinates and not do homework. We spend many hours driving, own a gasoline company(LOL) and lots of hours. I may pm for an occasional question but usually just looking for minor things. We have a few good fishing spots thay we do well and never meet anybody and when I see someone post nice fish at that spot I cringe and notice always more either get told about it or even maybe used to fish way back and gave up but come back. It is just yhe way it is and for those entitlement fishermen out there get out and do the ground work as there are no free rides.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:22 PM

Wayne don’t be an arse! Everyone - he fishes lake X in the East/West corner by the Super big feedlot. The Prussian Sturgeon are trophy’s! Have at it everyone 👍👍

Dodger.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:38 PM

Wayne, never forget the golden rule about secrets. The only true way to keep a secret that two people know is to kill the other person, tight lines
Old 06-22-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Wayne, never forget the golden rule about secrets. The only true way to keep a secret that two people know is to kill the other person, tight lines
And what happens if you, yourself, can't keep a secret?
Old 06-23-2020, 07:16 AM

Lol, Then your back at the two people have a secret again, vicious circle
Old 06-23-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
Some of us don’t contribute much because, a) we may not feel that we have the knowledge or experience as most others in the group, and b) we are not on here as much and may find that our info has already been provided by others. I am one who has asked for guidance in the past and has received excellent tips. I may not contribute much but I do really appreciate all that has been shared here. Maybe one day I will have an opportunity to add a bit more to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are many ways to contribute. Post a few pics of your trip, doest have to be trophy fish, just show how the day went. Tell a story, or comment on other posts...experience and information will come. Till then just keep up being a contributing member of the forum. No matter how long you have been at something, or the level of experience, we all.have something to share.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:25 AM
Banned

Default a little change in venue

A hypothetical scenario: imagine being a first time participant in a fishing tournament and after a frantic and almost overwhelming shotgun start you finally get onto a likely spot and out comes the anchorlock. After a few minutes you get a fish that measures well and you think you're in the money.

Pretty soon a couple of other boats get close but maintain a respectful distance - likely 15'. Then you get a monster tug and you haul up a biggie. Next thing you know a powerful 20' boat roars in hot, gets too close then nudges you off your spot with a little side slip and a bow wave. Being a pro angler that boat has decals and electronics, 3 motors and a driver wearing an advertising jersey that says "pro-staff" for so-and-so box store.

You have just been wave-rammed by a bigger boat and there is nothing you can do about it as the big guy now has your place, neatly stolen by the competition. Whereupon they neatly steal a fish from right under your boat! Where do you go to complain or file a grievance or was there no harm therefore no foul? Do you want to play again?

Free
Old 06-23-2020, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
A hypothetical scenario: imagine being a first time participant in a fishing tournament and after a frantic and almost overwhelming shotgun start you finally get onto a likely spot and out comes the anchorlock. After a few minutes you get a fish that measures well and you think you're in the money.

Pretty soon a couple of other boats get close but maintain a respectful distance - likely 15'. Then you get a monster tug and you haul up a biggie. Next thing you know a powerful 20' boat roars in hot, gets too close then nudges you off your spot with a little side slip and a bow wave. Being a pro angler that boat has decals and electronics, 3 motors and a driver wearing an advertising jersey that says "pro-staff" for so-and-so box store.

You have just been wave-rammed by a bigger boat and there is nothing you can do about it as the big guy now has your place, neatly stolen by the competition. Whereupon they neatly steal a fish from right under your boat! Where do you go to complain or file a grievance or was there no harm therefore no foul? Do you want to play again?

Free
Sounds like the same guys who go driving past everyone in line at the launch and push their way into the water. I know a note taped to a big rock and placed on the drivers seat on proper launch etiquette would solve that problem, maybe a similar type lesson could be taught on proper fishing etiquette?
Old 06-23-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Free
And that is where a slingshot and 1/2oz sinkers come into play . You don’t have to be this extreme but a reaction is needed.

You have two choices tuck your tail and slink off to a new location which shows the idiot his tactics are effective or you call him out on his BS in your method of choice. In my opinion if you don’t stand up to morons you are helping promote that behavior by accepting it

I can’t stand disrespectful idiots and believe it is my responsibility to remind them that there is consequences for being a D bag if we cross paths. They get a respectful warning first but if they ignore my warning or react poorly then the games begin. This has included casting 20oz weights into a boat back in my days of combat fishing on the Fraser River

The good thing is majority of fishermen I cross paths with have been respectful and most of the time it’s a friendly conversation about fishing at the most. If I am on shore and they have kids I am also the first guy to offer my rod to the kids if a fish bites. Give away lures or flies often too. Just as much as I will call out an idiot I go out of my way to be friendly and respectful to others I cross paths with out fishing
Old 06-23-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
There are many ways to contribute. Post a few pics of your trip, doest have to be trophy fish, just show how the day went. Tell a story, or comment on other posts...experience and information will come. Till then just keep up being a contributing member of the forum. No matter how long you have been at something, or the level of experience, we all.have something to share.
Good points.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:01 AM

I must be doing something wrong because no one ever asks me for my spots.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-23-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Free
Lol, living on Lesser Slave I get to deal with this type of thing a couple weekends a year, even though I don't even fish the tournaments. Lots of times there will be a bunch of boats out on a drop, a few of us would like to troll but its too crowded so we drop anchor and jig. Next thing you know a bunch of Jackholes in big stickered up boats troll right through everyone like a obstacle course... and keep doing it until half the boats leave... must be tournament weekend
Old 06-23-2020, 02:01 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

well I got Alzheimer's and Tourette's so pm me...read my posts....you need a spot....a fishing buddy....

I help out where I can...my spots...your spots...techniques...etc....may work one day and not the other day....no sure thing when fishing to cross that threshold to catching but to each their own.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...