Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2020, 04:40 PM

Default Navionics card

Hey guys. Im new to the boating and charting thing. I have a Lowtance elite ti and i understand that to see maps I need to purchase a Navionics plus sd card. Now...what is a good place to get it and what rlse would I need? Everything works great except i cant no contours other than just basic land and water. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
Hey guys. Im new to the boating and charting thing. I have a Lowtance elite ti and i understand that to see maps I need to purchase a Navionics plus sd card. Now...what is a good place to get it and what rlse would I need? Everything works great except i cant no contours other than just basic land and water. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I used to be a big fan of the Navionics cards, but I no longer think they're worth the cost, especially when you start to factor in the yearly subscription cost to keep them updated.

Lowrance offers several better mapping options, and they're FREE.

Check out this page -

https://www.lowrance.com/en-sg/lowra...c-map-genesis/

If I were you, I'd download the Genesis Social Maps layers for the lakes you fish, and get to work on making your Genesis Live maps. You'll have MUCH better contour detail and accuracy.

Make sure your Elite TI unit is updated to the latest software version so you'll have the Genesis Live feature.

The software download link is here -

https://www.lowrance.com/news-videos...e-update-18.2/
Old 06-22-2020, 06:41 PM

That’s what I did to. Navionics mapping is not great for Alberta lakes. They only used the Alberta government bathymetry maps which do not use a lot of detail. Just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:09 PM

Yeah I didnt want to pay for something that was not very good. So by reading all those pages...I just download whatever lake from social maps and insert in my boat? Will my chart keep adding to it as I go? Its kind of daunting for a first timer but I thank you guys for the advice.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:14 PM

I am no computer guy and took me sometime to figure it out but feel comfortable now
Old 06-24-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
I am no computer guy and took me sometime to figure it out but feel comfortable now
Your not the only old dog .
I am all thumbs when it comes to down loading also.
just reading this suff sounds all french to me .

I think this is a nice little business for some one could do on the side .

Training and setting up genesis and even meeting out on a lake showing what these things can all do on mapping.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:49 AM

I would totally book an appt. It was kind of frustrating. Had the boat out ysday and the day was perfect. Fishing was good. Weather was good. Sonar seems to work. Side scan works. Just the map and steering part was off. Uuggghh.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I would totally book an appt. It was kind of frustrating. Had the boat out ysday and the day was perfect. Fishing was good. Weather was good. Sonar seems to work. Side scan works. Just the map and steering part was off. Uuggghh.

i also bought the ti two years ago . found out after owning it 3 months later it has a button called live mapping ,so when you are drive on the lake it make new contour lines where ever you are driving and it stores them in your unit.
The bad part about it is i was using the NAV, card and it only works for one year.
then its $150 .ever year .

Now i heard you can have the same thing with the genesis card that you get with the unit. But need to know how to down load it and it is good for life !
Old 06-24-2020, 10:11 AM

It is actually pretty straight forward, I just connect to WIFI when the boat is on the driveway and download the maps I need for my trip. You just need to grab an SD card and pop it in your unit. I have the HDS 7, not sure if they all have the wifi connectivity.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Your not the only old dog .
I am all thumbs when it comes to down loading also.
just reading this suff sounds all french to me .

I think this is a nice little business for some one could do on the side .

Training and setting up genesis and even meeting out on a lake showing what these things can all do on mapping.
I know it seems daunting at first, but it really isn't. I agree that even a 1/2hr on the water, or even in the driveway, with someone who knows their stuff would really speed up the learning curve, but you can figure it out yourself.

Google and YouTube are your friends. There are excellent videos online that explain all of this stuff in detail.

The Lowrance YouTube channel is an excellent resource and probably the best place to start -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5...Fxr6uMv_0h_6PQ

The Help/FAQ section of the Genesismaps.com site has really good step by step instructions on how to setup your account, register your sonar unit, and download the social maps.

If all else fails, do what I do, and get your 11 year old daughter to do it for you...