Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 08:28 PM

Default Fishing rod advice

I am not beating the snot out of these Fenwick HMX rods but they keep snapping like twigs...really frustrating. A sub 1lb walleye today flipped about coming out of the water and that was it, snapped just above 3rd guide.
HMX medium 6'6". This is the third one over 18 months. Not abused, no high sticking
I like the sensitivity of graphite but if they're all as delicate as this should I move on and stick with Ugly Stik?
I'd be willing to shell out some coin if indeed a Loomis or Croix are as sensitive yet a bit more durable.....thoughts? I need advice
Old 06-16-2020, 09:27 PM

Shimano rods have been great for me. Also snapped a Fenwick recently. Won't buy another one.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 09:36 PM

All it takes, is rub it against a rough surface and you create a weak spot.

Graphite rods are pretty easy to break. Set something on it or bump it with a sharp edge and ...........

Lots of care needed with graphite.

99% of the time its operator error. Even a little careless handling by a partner, child or spouse can create an issue on your next use.

If you are having that much of a problem, you might be better served with an Ugly stik as you said.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:46 PM

I had a high end Loomis salmon rod that snapped fighting it's first fish and they wouldn't honour the warranty so I would be leery of spending Loomis dollars on one of their rods. My St Croix which sold for less than half the price has been perfect but maybe you get lucky or you don't.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:57 PM
Banned

Those fenwicks are junk, I had one snap as well. I’ve had good luck with Berkeley and Shimano rods, but most of my rods are Loomis. I’ve broken one ugly stik and one fenwick in the last 20yrs. My son has a St Croix and hasn’t had any issues but I really like the sensitivity of my GLoomis rods. Road trips to B.C., fly-in fishing to northern Saskatchewan, never had an issue.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:05 PM

Unfortunately spending more money on a rod does not equal more durability. In fact the opposite is true.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:16 AM

For guys that break rods I recommend Ugly Stik, bullet proof, well almost. High end graphite rods are very fragile as has been said. They are not for everyone.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-17-2020, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
I am not beating the snot out of these Fenwick HMX rods but they keep snapping like twigs...really frustrating. A sub 1lb walleye today flipped about coming out of the water and that was it, snapped just above 3rd guide.
HMX medium 6'6". This is the third one over 18 months. Not abused, no high sticking
I like the sensitivity of graphite but if they're all as delicate as this should I move on and stick with Ugly Stik?
I'd be willing to shell out some coin if indeed a Loomis or Croix are as sensitive yet a bit more durable.....thoughts? I need advice
At my old job we ran a store that rented out fishing gear etc.....yup....abuse like no tomorrow so we ran ugly sticks....6'6" or 7' medium actions rods....still hand them out to this day....troops catch everything from lakers to perch with them...my wife and son Run these rods too....wife is hard on equipment....8 years later.....just a suggestion.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-17-2020, 06:06 AM

My favorite the last several years has been my Shimano Clarus. Medium priced, medium quality, catches fish very well too. The last 2 trips were pike fests with probably at least 8 or 10 each time in the 15 to 20 lb range and no problems with any snapping rods. Playing the drag right helps too but yes some rods just break easier than others. Saying that my 7 1/2 ft river rod for bait fishing is an old Ugly Stik as old as most guys on this forum. It has literally caught thousands of fish from small to the 20 lb plus size and keeps on going. Not my walleye jigging choice but when I need to just launch some bait out across the water it works fine.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:58 AM

Appreciate all the feedback.
Shimano is getting some good review here, I'll look into them.
Ugly Stik has been my backup, while it can save the day fishing they're about exactly what everyone knows they are
Old 06-17-2020, 07:00 AM

The elite tech series from fenwick is WAY more durable then the hmx/hmg. I've had mine for years it gets rattled around and has caught lots of big fish. I also recently picked up a new ugly stick elite for a spare/kids rod and I will say it's a great feeling rod compared to the gx2 ugly sticks.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:59 AM

Only rod I have had break was a brand new fenwick. Tip just broke off for no reason. Took it as a shipping fault, but seeing that many have had the same experiences I wont buy one again.

Shamanos are good. St croix is worth the money. If you are spending Loomis money one may as well get a custom far higher quality rod.

In the $100-150 range my favourite is the Johnny Morris carbon lite. Currently on same for $99 at cabelas. The 6'9 medium light is my favourite jig/shiver minnow or rippin rap rod. At $99 it cannot be beat. That's u.s though
Old 06-17-2020, 08:08 AM

I'm with huntsfurfish on this one, there had to be previous damage that created a weak spot. There's no way a 1lb walleye should snap a rod at the third guide. Even if you had your drag set far too tight, any 66M rod should be easily capable of supporting the weight of a 1 lb fish.

You have to take care of graphite rods, but they aren't made of nitro-glycerine. They should stand up to years or even decades of use with no issues. I've broken 2 rods in all my years, and both were 100% operator error. Use a good quality rod sock when in storage or transporting them, nicks and scratches are your enemy. Avoid high sticking the rod, don't "bass" fish into the boat, and back your drag off, especially when you get in close to the boat. It's a good practice to grab the line when you're going to handle a fish or get it into the net, and then open the bail right away, the chaos of a flopping fish, even when it's in the net, is prime time to break a rod.

I think Fenwick normally makes pretty good rods, but it sounds like maybe they've got some quality control issues with HMX rods. I'd look at the Shimano Clarus/Compre/SLX if you want to try something different in that same price range. I've had very good luck with the Clarus and the Compre.

Loomis makes amazing rods and the warranty is very good, but, and I don't say this to be a jerk, just to try and save you some money and heartache, if you're prone to breaking rods, they might not be the way to go for you. That's a big investment, and even with their warranty program, there's a good chance it's going to cost you some cash if you break one.

Ugly Stiks are a last resort...
Old 06-17-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
My favorite the last several years has been my Shimano Clarus. Medium priced, medium quality, catches fish very well too. The last 2 trips were pike fests with probably at least 8 or 10 each time in the 15 to 20 lb range and no problems with any snapping rods. Playing the drag right helps too but yes some rods just break easier than others. Saying that my 7 1/2 ft river rod for bait fishing is an old Ugly Stik as old as most guys on this forum. It has literally caught thousands of fish from small to the 20 lb plus size and keeps on going. Not my walleye jigging choice but when I need to just launch some bait out across the water it works fine.
+1 for shimano clarus. I have a medium heavy for pike and its great. Nice feel. I llooovvveee fishong rods but anything over 150 is getting a little bit crazy unless its for salmon perhaps. Now reels on the other hand..... hahaa
Old 06-17-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I'm with huntsfurfish on this one, there had to be previous damage that created a weak spot. There's no way a 1lb walleye should snap a rod at the third guide. Even if you had your drag set far too tight, any 66M rod should be easily capable of supporting the weight of a 1 lb fish.

You have to take care of graphite rods, but they aren't made of nitro-glycerine. They should stand up to years or even decades of use with no issues. I've broken 2 rods in all my years, and both were 100% operator error. Use a good quality rod sock when in storage or transporting them, nicks and scratches are your enemy. Avoid high sticking the rod, don't "bass" fish into the boat, and back your drag off, especially when you get in close to the boat. It's a good practice to grab the line when you're going to handle a fish or get it into the net, and then open the bail right away, the chaos of a flopping fish, even when it's in the net, is prime time to break a rod.

I think Fenwick normally makes pretty good rods, but it sounds like maybe they've got some quality control issues with HMX rods. I'd look at the Shimano Clarus/Compre/SLX if you want to try something different in that same price range. I've had very good luck with the Clarus and the Compre.

Loomis makes amazing rods and the warranty is very good, but, and I don't say this to be a jerk, just to try and save you some money and heartache, if you're prone to breaking rods, they might not be the way to go for you. That's a big investment, and even with their warranty program, there's a good chance it's going to cost you some cash if you break one.

Awesome, thank you, lots of great discussion.
I definitely handle the line pulling these guys out, other hand on handle of rod. He flapped about pulling the leader out of my hand and 'snap' that was it. Must have been some damage at that point rubbing on the side of the boat or something.
I definitely don't abuse or drop them, at the same time I'm not handling them like they're delicate flowers. On a canoe fishing trip the rod is going to be placed down, not thrown, its going to lay on the gunwale but with its own weight only. If thats too much for a graphite rod then I should probably avoid them.
I'll look at some of the other suggestions for sure
Old 06-17-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I definitely don't abuse or drop them, at the same time I'm not handling them like they're delicate flowers. On a canoe fishing trip the rod is going to be placed down, not thrown, its going to lay on the gunwale but with its own weight only. If thats too much for a graphite rod then I should probably avoid them.
I'd consider that pretty normal use. As long as the gunwale edge isn't sharp, that should not be a problem. Rods are going to get set down on a gunwale, along the floor, on the ground, leaned against a wall, put in a rod locker, etc... None of that should cause a graphite rod to fail or break.

You might want to consider buying a $10 rod sock and just sliding it in there when you're moving or not using it. It's cheap insurance and it only takes a second or two to take on and off. It helps prevent tangles too. Alternatively, a rod holder setup of some kind might be the ticket.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I'd consider that pretty normal use. As long as the gunwale edge isn't sharp, that should not be a problem. Rods are going to get set down on a gunwale, along the floor, on the ground, leaned against a wall, put in a rod locker, etc... None of that should cause a graphite rod to fail or break.

You might want to consider buying a $10 rod sock and just sliding it in there when you're moving or not using it. It's cheap insurance and it only takes a second or two to take on and off. It helps prevent tangles too. Alternatively, a rod holder setup of some kind might be the ticket.
I will definitely be doing that
Old 06-17-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
By no means do I run a quality rod set-up; much the opposite probably. When I was 21, I bought a Pflueger 6'6, Medium action rod combo with a Pfleuger Presidente Medium action reel.

It has been through ther ringer, to say the least. Thrown, tossed, sat on, stepped on... that thing is like the energizer bunny man. Caught 100s or 1000s of Walleye on it, also 100s of Bass, Pike, Brookies, few Bulls, few Rainbows, some Steelhead and Atlantics back in Ont. too (weird flex but ok jwelds191).

I'm 31 now and have no intention of switching gear... it's been too good. Certainly gentle enough to tap bottom for finicky walleye, but I've also hauled in 15lb Salmonoids with it too. I'm 100% confident in the set-up and hope this combo lasts me another 10 years.

~$120 at CT, an FYI. Big bucks doesn't always mean better.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
Only rod I have had break was a brand new fenwick. Tip just broke off for no reason. Took it as a shipping fault, but seeing that many have had the same experiences I wont buy one again.

Shamanos are good. St croix is worth the money. If you are spending Loomis money one may as well get a custom far higher quality rod.

In the $100-150 range my favourite is the Johnny Morris carbon lite. Currently on same for $99 at cabelas. The 6'9 medium light is my favourite jig/shiver minnow or rippin rap rod. At $99 it cannot be beat. That's u.s though
Who makes a custom rod equal to a Loomis?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-18-2020, 09:25 PM

A 2 oz weight hitting the rod can also cause damage to the graphite. Some people get to lazy to remove the weight when transporting it and it rattles and bangs up against the rod. The higher price st croix and gloomis won’t fix your problem. Also You will have to pay shipping and a fee of some sort which will sometimes cost as much as getting a ugly stick haha.

Rod glove will definitely save you.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-19-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
By no means do I run a quality rod set-up; much the opposite probably. When I was 21, I bought a Pflueger 6'6, Medium action rod combo with a Pfleuger Presidente Medium action reel.

It has been through ther ringer, to say the least. Thrown, tossed, sat on, stepped on... that thing is like the energizer bunny man. Caught 100s or 1000s of Walleye on it, also 100s of Bass, Pike, Brookies, few Bulls, few Rainbows, some Steelhead and Atlantics back in Ont. too (weird flex but ok jwelds191).

I'm 31 now and have no intention of switching gear... it's been too good. Certainly gentle enough to tap bottom for finicky walleye, but I've also hauled in 15lb Salmonoids with it too. I'm 100% confident in the set-up and hope this combo lasts me another 10 years.

~$120 at CT, an FYI. Big bucks doesn't always mean better.
Big bucks normally does mean better. A St. Croix Legend with a Stradic is a better set up than the one you have. Period.

What your post does prove is that you don’t need to spend big bucks to catch a pile of fish.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:05 AM

I was thinking it was just me.

I haven't ever broken a rod before my Fenwick HMG. In the last year I've broken two. Once near the tip and the second just above the middle section. I like the sensitivity of the rods but they are fragile! I used to use Lightning rods and Ugly Sticks, which are durable, but I wanted to try something higher end. This time around I picked up a Shimano SLX while they are on sale at The Fishing Hole.

I'd like to step up to a G.Loomis or St. Croix but breaking one or two a season leaves me feeling pretty gun shy!

Fenwick does have a accidental breakage replacement program, I was able to replace my broken rods for around $60 each time, mailed to me from Fenwick.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:

I've had my Fenwick Walleye Classic (light/med) for years, never had an issue and I've pulled in walleye as big as 9+ lb's with it. Still using it to this day. Pulled in several 60+ cm walleye just last week/weekend including my biggest so far this year, a 68 cm fish. They were nice and aggressive and fought hard.

I have an ugly stik in the closet with no reel on it........never will have if I can help it.......LOL (Wife wanted it and used it til I handed her my rod one day).
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 06-19-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
I was thinking it was just me.

I haven't ever broken a rod before my Fenwick HMG. In the last year I've broken two. Once near the tip and the second just above the middle section. I like the sensitivity of the rods but they are fragile! I used to use Lightning rods and Ugly Sticks, which are durable, but I wanted to try something higher end. This time around I picked up a Shimano SLX while they are on sale at The Fishing Hole.

I'd like to step up to a G.Loomis or St. Croix but breaking one or two a season leaves me feeling pretty gun shy!

Fenwick does have a accidental breakage replacement program, I was able to replace my broken rods for around $60 each time, mailed to me from Fenwick.
I'll lend you one of mine to try sometime. If you break it then thats ok. Its used and abused already. Expected to break one day.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-19-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Big bucks normally does mean better. A St. Croix Legend with a Stradic is a better set up than the one you have. Period.

What your post does prove is that you don’t need to spend big bucks to catch a pile of fish.
I'd have to agree with you, $ usually does mean better quality. Doesn't necessarily mean more fish, good point.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:31 PM

....something got me thinking, is it possible the fenwicks I've purchased came damaged from the place or purchase? Poor handling from shippers or stock persons or perhaps patrons or their children mishandling them before I walk out the door with the item?
I have to belive there is that possibility
Either way, I'll return with my evaluation of this Shimano Convergence in a few days
Old 06-20-2020, 05:48 AM

One nice thing about St.Croix rods is if you keep the serial rod from the rod and do break it the warranty will cover it and if not I think down here it’s 32.00 for a new replacement rod half.
The serial is needed to match the parts.

Osky
Old 06-21-2020, 02:47 AM

My buddy pickup up a Slx and president reel last week just like my setup. First day out at end of day the rod tip broke about 3inches down from the end on a cast. Broke straight horizontal not at an angle looked real strange. Was replaced by store right away without having to go through warranty. Must have a been a manufacture problem.

Kudos to fishing hole for taking care of this and not doing the "you need to go through shimano warranty" route on a three day old rod. Btw most warranties are worthless if you have to pay to ship your equipment somewhere for them to decide if they are going to cover it.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:06 PM

Oddly enough, the only graphite rod I've owned that lasted any time at all has been a Fenwick Eagle GT. I bought it at a yard sale, have fished it for about 9 years, its actually outlasted a couple Ugly Sticks in just the time I've owned it. Perhaps the old ones were better?

Have had terrible luck with Shimano rods, would never buy another. I've had pretty good luck with relatively cheap Berkley Lightning rods, but I've always got an Ugly Stick onboard for backup.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:08 AM

See if you can find a daiwa saltist coastal. I’ve got two that I use for pitching slugs at tuna, mahi mahi, GT’s, mackerel etc. and they’re both sensitive and tough as nails. Granted mine are XH and the lightest they make is a medium action, fast 7’ option but they’re pretty decent rods. I’ve felt the medium action in store and I would of run it for a walleye rod in a past life.

Even my xh version works for some light work.