Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 09:41 AM

Default forum leeches

Ive had several pm's now about fish locations, especially carp walleye and sturgeon. one was a member of a couple years, the last one has been a member for 8 years, none with a single post, purely on the forum to leech fishing locations? seriously, if thats all you are on here for you should already know the answer to that question. Not the first ones, same thing has happened quite a few times since I signed up. If you cant contribute then go find your own fish thank you and maybe work on your English. I do share now and then, but privately to people who contribute. if you need a guide pm me again I will give you my rates. I fished a local spot last Thursday morning, after half an hour on my own 7 more people showed up and it was an elbow to elbow free for all, might be how you like to fish out a spot but not me.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-20-2020, 09:53 AM
Banned

Well Wayne, you can look at it this way, obviously you’re doing something right!

But seriously, where can I catch some sturgeon?????
Old 06-20-2020, 10:04 AM

I'd lump this current crop of avid u-tubers in with the leaches as well. Sure, sharing the odd video is fine, but some of them contribute almost nothing except for a steady stream of links to their videos. Good thing this forum is far less sticky on the subject of advertising without paying than some others.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:14 AM

I almost quit fishing because Leeches are getting so expensive. Now I know where to find a big supply of free ones. Thanks for that.

I find it interesting that you can find these same types on the hunting and shooting threads too. Where can I shoot for free, too cheap to join a range. Help a fellow takes his old crippled Dad, first time hunter, son et al for any heart tug they think they can dream up, and find him a deer close to town. Drive up and shoot preferred.

I refuse to answer or in any way participate with those kind of people.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I'd lump this current crop of avid u-tubers in with the leaches as well. Sure, sharing the odd video is fine, but some of them contribute almost nothing except for a steady stream of links to their videos. Good thing this forum is far less sticky on the subject of advertising without paying than some others.
Alberta outdoors forum is the most lenient page I been on. Again I only contribute when I can. I enjoy the good reads on here but once a topic becomes one of those 5 page plus topics I give up on reading it. I sure aint no leach though let me tell ya

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-20-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Well Wayne, you can look at it this way, obviously you’re doing something right!

But seriously, where can I catch some sturgeon?????
I'm not looking for the exact gps. Just the general location within 1 square kilometre.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-20-2020, 10:31 AM

Where can you catch jumbo perch close to the city?
I'm not asking for your secret fishing spot, just a place with non stop jumbo perch action close to the city.
It's for the kids.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
It's for the kids with rare fatal heart conditions.
Now your cookin with peanut oil!
Old 06-20-2020, 10:50 AM

I saved every pm Ive gotten on here, probably close to 2 thousand now. and believe it or not the majority were to help people out, people I think would respect the help. usually I ask them not to share , most dont but some do anyways. they are the ones who make me think twice. Ive put on thousands of miles and thousands of hours finding some places, and some stranger who lurks in the darkness and has nothing to contribute except pass spots on to others especially poachers! who asks me where to go, I guess maybe I should just say all the spots and all the GPS coordinates are on my youtube channel, and a million more, honest!
I really do enjoy helping fellow fisher persons out with tips techniques and stuff that doesnt work because Ive been fishing a long time and if theres mistakes to be made, you can bet a dummy like me has done it and probably more than once or twice. Especially when it comes to taking kids fishing and getting a new generation hooked on such a wonderful pasttime, I love watching their expressions when they catch their first fish. Id rather hand my fishing rod off to a 8 year old kid with a good sized sturgeon on the hook than fight it myself, used to do it all the time when I fished the forks. Ive made a lot of friends from sharing, people I know will respect the info. but people who can sit and read all the info on a forum for years and do nothing but take and take is not someone I care to share anything with. I hear Frank Lake is fishing great this week, actually I wouldnt be seriously surprised if it was full of Prussians too.
Again, those of you who feel its your duty to share every spot you catch a fish with the faceless masses who are members and the much greater numbers who just read the forum and dont join to get info where to poach,,err. fish, next, maybe think about it first, maybe 95% of them are legit curious fisher people, but I bet a lot more than 5% are poachers and people who care nothing for regs. I see it every time I fish an area with other people, and it gets worse day by day.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-20-2020, 11:55 AM

^^^^ X 2 ^^^^ Wayne. Well said. Probably best post ive read on here in a long time.

Ive noticed someone will mention a certain Trout pond and the very next day i swear the bucket brigade is out there 10 or more strong. Im at one alot out of convenience and health reasons. I cringe every time someone mentions the place on here.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:12 PM

Exactly why I wont post photos of my trips anymore. Too many people expecting free handouts without offering anything in return. Too many people who just post Youtube videos like they are Bob Izumi and reveal their location then the next day or 2 the place is flooded with fishermen.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-20-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I saved every pm Ive gotten on here, probably close to 2 thousand now. and believe it or not the majority were to help people out, people I think would respect the help. usually I ask them not to share , most dont but some do anyways. they are the ones who make me think twice. Ive put on thousands of miles and thousands of hours finding some places, and some stranger who lurks in the darkness and has nothing to contribute except pass spots on to others especially poachers! who asks me where to go, I guess maybe I should just say all the spots and all the GPS coordinates are on my youtube channel, and a million more, honest!
I really do enjoy helping fellow fisher persons out with tips techniques and stuff that doesnt work because Ive been fishing a long time and if theres mistakes to be made, you can bet a dummy like me has done it and probably more than once or twice. Especially when it comes to taking kids fishing and getting a new generation hooked on such a wonderful pasttime, I love watching their expressions when they catch their first fish. Id rather hand my fishing rod off to a 8 year old kid with a good sized sturgeon on the hook than fight it myself, used to do it all the time when I fished the forks. Ive made a lot of friends from sharing, people I know will respect the info. but people who can sit and read all the info on a forum for years and do nothing but take and take is not someone I care to share anything with. I hear Frank Lake is fishing great this week, actually I wouldnt be seriously surprised if it was full of Prussians too.
Again, those of you who feel its your duty to share every spot you catch a fish with the faceless masses who are members and the much greater numbers who just read the forum and dont join to get info where to poach,,err. fish, next, maybe think about it first, maybe 95% of them are legit curious fisher people, but I bet a lot more than 5% are poachers and people who care nothing for regs. I see it every time I fish an area with other people, and it gets worse day by day.
Good post Wayne!

I will not share spots or even lakes on line.

What it would take a fisherman years to learn years ago. Can be learned in minutes on line now. In my humble opinion(ha, I typed it out), the internet is the biggest difference maker in fishing and fishing pressure now days!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Gone Hunting

I like the ones that go " I'm taking my 5 year old son fishing for the first time and I want him to catch something so he doesn't get bored. First off, pretty much every 5 year old kid is going to be bored with fishing pretty quick.
The first thing I taught my kids and grandkids is that you don't catch fish every time you go out. If they stick with it, it is awesome when they hook their first one. But I guess that's todays society they need instant gratification for everything and they want to put in less than zero effort to accomplish it
Old 06-20-2020, 12:39 PM

Default My son and I really enjoyed you showing us some fish Wayne

Cant mention the location and probably because I probably couldn't find it anymore. Remember we drove past your house a couple of times
Thanks buddy
Rob
Old 06-20-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Cant mention the location and probably because I probably couldn't find it anymore. Remember we drove past your house a couple of times
Thanks buddy
Rob
yup I remember that and it was a good time I also know how much you contribute to the forum and always have. its nothing to see at least 25 vehicles there at once now, and most not a clue what lake they are actually on, too hard to read a map. Just found out that lake is full of prussians now too, what a letdown. I will say any "wedding party" I see releasing them for good luck is going to find out how "good" their luck really is. hopefully they can all swim.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-20-2020, 02:10 PM

Posts like this I see both sides to the story. Wayne I respect your status on these forums as I have been on here for a few years with very little posts. But I am far from a leech. I have spent 25 +years on these lakes and rivers with my father and many other people who have shared secrets and holes with me free of charge. And for this information I too have shared these secrets and spots with people freely. There are some holes that I always keep to myself. In the years I have been doing this I have more than enough spots to keep to myself and plenty more to share with others. Some of these people that shared secrets like my grandfathers were never shy to help a fellow fisherman out and if i did not do the same, I feel I would be letting them both down. A father and son were just showing up on the red deer river the other day remotely where the honey hole I have been speaking about on here the last week I shared that spot with them and what to use at what point in the day. I have been fishing this same spot for five years with great success and gave it up without thinking twice. That little boy might be a fisherman for life after experiencing a good day like I have out there all the time. Who am I to take that away. Everyone is ok to have an opinion and that's fine I never expect anyone to share a hole with me but I always appreciate any information people are willing to share. I didnt join this site for secret holes I joined hoping to find a community that loved fishing as much as i do. But like everywhere not everyone has the same intent.

In the other hand when I have received these PM's about my spots on the red deer I have shared 3 different spots with probably 15 people who have messaged each one receiving a different location as to not hurt the same hole to bad. But my sure fire holes are safe in the minds of a few and those who didnt mind getting wet to find it them themselves. A little information from one could mean a lifetime of fun for another.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone by posting this just voicing an opinion feel very free to disagree.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:14 PM

Everyone trying to get something for nothing nowadays. Made the mistake of helping a few strangers out a couple years back. Now it's "their spot"....theirs and their buddies, and their buddies families etc etc. Oh well lesson learned. Got a few new spots since that's happened that I'll take to my grave. I don't post pictures either. Guys will be waiting at the boat launch to follow you around. Lazy people contribute nothing to the outdoor world.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:48 PM

I have no p[roblem sharing a few spots with people I trust, a lot of the places I do fish were shared with me, but thats always on the condition I keep them to myself, and they know I will. there are a few members here who seem to think its their duty to make sure every spot and lake is full of fishermen, I know they were in a big way responsible for the burbs getting demolished in PCR and the big pike mostly wiped out just up the road in another lake. if you want to share, why not do it in a private message, half the enjoyment of fishing should be figuring things out for yourself, sharing tips baits and methods is one thing, a map to the honeyhole is a mistake no matter how you put it. I found out the hard way when I got a huge pike on one lake, told another member about the spot when they asked, and posted a map I thought would be private. went out the next day and there were 5 people Ive never seen before fishing the same holes I had drilled the day before. Never again.. then again that got me to look around more and guess what, i found a place where the walleye were pretty much all bigger than the pike in the area, even caught one that spit out a 10 inch pike! and no you cant know where that was either why do people think sports are more enjoyable when you dont have to work for it? the internet has created a whole "generation" of lazy anglers.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-20-2020, 03:34 PM

You don't have to give that fat walleye spot Wayne. I have been there many times and am not afraid to share

Other side of Frank Lake by the old grey barn. Am I right or not?
Old 06-20-2020, 03:36 PM

Excellent post Wayne.
it never fails, every Sept-Dec. my inbox get 5-10 pms. Hey evil, I saw your posts, take me duck hunting, whitefish fishing, burbs ect. One winner even asked for coordinates no "Hi how are ya?" just give me a pin to your spot lol
I just delete them and move on, its not worth the aggravation IMO.

With that being said tho I do see who contributes and I try and help those few fellas out.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:01 PM

I appreciate all the helpful info you have posted. Nothing like the old google maps for finding spots eh
Old 06-20-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Alberta outdoors forum is the most lenient page I been on. Again I only contribute when I can. I enjoy the good reads on here but once a topic becomes one of those 5 page plus topics I give up on reading it. I sure aint no leach though let me tell ya
I wasn't quite talking about you, you do actually seem to be an active, contributing member of the forum. For others, I believe that AO is just a stop on their milk run of sights where they promote their U-tube channel.

And I wasn't talking about them being leeches in the sense that Wayne was... I mean that they use the sight to score views without actually contributing anything back... unless one finds the videos highly entertaining, which I generally do not... so possibly my view is not the popular opinion.

And on to Wayne's point, if you want to catch leeches post a successful hunting trip. Just about any write up I've done on hunting, especially the canoe hunts for some reason, results in a rash of PM's asking where I was hunting. I tell them I'll give any advice they like but I don't give out locations, which usually is the end of the conversation. This more or less convinces me that even if I told them where I hunt, they'd never have the gumption to actually go there. Yes its pretty silly, but I tend to think that these folks must be so inept that even if I told them where I fished/ hunted, it probably wouldn't do them any good. If one lacks the patience to even strike up a proper conversation on a forum, they couldnt possibly pull off a successful hunting or fishing trip IMO.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-20-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I wasn't quite talking about you, you do actually seem to be an active, contributing member of the forum. For others, I believe that AO is just a stop on their milk run of sights where they promote their U-tube channel.

And I wasn't talking about them being leeches in the sense that Wayne was... I mean that they use the sight to score views without actually contributing anything back... unless one finds the videos highly entertaining, which I generally do not... so possibly my view is not the popular opinion.

And on to Wayne's point, if you want to catch leeches post a successful hunting trip. Just about any write up I've done on hunting, especially the canoe hunts for some reason, results in a rash of PM's asking where I was hunting. I tell them I'll give any advice they like but I don't give out locations, which usually is the end of the conversation. This more or less convinces me that even if I told them where I hunt, they'd never have the gumption to actually go there. Yes its pretty silly, but I tend to think that these folks must be so inept that even if I told them where I fished/ hunted, it probably wouldn't do them any good. If one lacks the patience to even strike up a proper conversation on a forum, they couldnt possibly pull off a successful hunting or fishing trip IMO.
I generally agree with a lot of your points of view but may see it a bit different here. I don't mind guys who come on here and post videos as their thing.

Reason being just from a personal standpoint is it would be silly for a guy like me who doesn't have much interest in posting pics and videos to get on someones case for doing so even if that is all they would like to contribute. In truth I generally just chip in my two cents here and there and it's whoever is readings choice to believe I can back it up or not because I don't have much interest in putting myself out there like that.

When someone comes and posts a video of their hunting or fishing adventures it's kind of that "a picture says a thousand words thing" and usually there is something a viewer can gather in perhaps a slight technique tweek or maybe something completely new.

Anyways hope that makes sense but I see where you are coming from at the same time just maybe see it a bit different.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I hear Frank Lake is fishing great this week.......
Last time I ever listen to you. I read this and decided to take the afternoon off to check it out. Nothin! Nada!! Zippo!!! Zilch!!!!!

Luckily, we stopped at Namaka on the way home. Great afternoon on the lake! Memories to last a lifetime.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:24 PM

Good on ya Wayne.

Where ya catch dem fish sez he.

In de river/lake sez I

I know dat he sez Where in de river/lake

Right ere sez I in de corner of de mouf Oooh wait not dios one he was in de upper lip.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Last time I ever listen to you. I read this and decided to take the afternoon off to check it out. Nothin! Nada!! Zippo!!! Zilch!!!!!

Luckily, we stopped at Namaka on the way home. Great afternoon on the lake! Memories to last a lifetime.
bet you didnt try by the old gray barn eh?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-20-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
^^^^ X 2 ^^^^ Wayne. Well said. Probably best post ive read on here in a long time.

Ive noticed someone will mention a certain Trout pond and the very next day i swear the bucket brigade is out there 10 or more strong. Im at one alot out of convenience and health reasons. I cringe every time someone mentions the place on here.
Oh, you must mean Cardiff Pond perhaps? Never mind, the white bucket people are out there as soon as the stocking trout arrives.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Oh, you must mean Cardiff Pond perhaps? Never mind, the white bucket people are out there as soon as the stocking trout arrives.
its been changed, now they must use color neutral buckets or risk riots in the streets! btw never seen a girliefish in stockings, dont think Id like them any better but who knows to each his own taste

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-20-2020, 10:40 PM

Some of us don’t contribute much because, a) we may not feel that we have the knowledge or experience as most others in the group, and b) we are not on here as much and may find that our info has already been provided by others. I am one who has asked for guidance in the past and has received excellent tips. I may not contribute much but I do really appreciate all that has been shared here. Maybe one day I will have an opportunity to add a bit more to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2020, 01:35 AM

Default ;)

true story
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38528968_10212408215900932_6519204315976957952_n.jpg (67.7 KB, 87 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds