Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 10:03 AM

Default Boat Launch Advice - Calgary Area

Hey guys, I'm still reasonably new to Calgary and looking for a little help. I added a small trolling motor to my fishing kayak as a little project during my time off for this covid thing. I'd like to test it out before I take it on a longer drive to a big lake. First place I thought of was Glenmore Res, but I've heard its completely a motor no go ... Could anyone recommend a quiet place to test it out? Thank you!

Last edited by Vapor; 06-25-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:38 AM

Smile

Severn Res. It is no. of Standard. Nice and holds some trout.

Fyten Res. just outside Swalwell It too holds trout.

Both are within an hours drive..

Eagle lake by Strathmore. Ea of Strathmore to the nursery turn off. Go south to where the road goes right, the launch is on your left at that intersection. Should be able to have no problems with any of the mentioned lakes.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:57 AM

Sibbald
Old 06-25-2020, 11:32 AM

Which area of the city are you in? Ghost would be easy for a kayak if zero wind. Can outsiders go in Chestermere? Glenifer north of the city isn't that far.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:33 AM

Chestermere? may be able to put in at the dam instead of the pay launch I dont know havent been there since half of you were born

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-25-2020, 12:35 PM

If all you want to do is try it out go to Ghost. Short drive from town, good launch, lots of parking, sheltered area by marina if it is windy, big lake to run around on if it is fairly calm.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If all you want to do is try it out go to Ghost. Short drive from town, good launch, lots of parking, sheltered area by marina if it is windy, big lake to run around on if it is fairly calm.
Launch was good until they dropped the water level. I imagine they have made adjustments again as that was a few years ago now.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it. I'm in the SW of Calgary by Fish Creek. I guess I'm going to have to drive a little for this little experiment. Hopefully if all goes well I'll be able to see a few of you out there. So glad to be getting off the banks of the shoreline and trying out a few new spots.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Launch was good until they dropped the water level. I imagine they have made adjustments again as that was a few years ago now.

He is launching a Kayak, water level is pretty much irrelevant. Even with relatively low water, you can launch a pretty good size boat at the launch on Ghost as the base is good and hard. Water always has gone up and down there quite a bit.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:03 PM

Chain lake PP would be a good place to try.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
He is launching a Kayak, water level is pretty much irrelevant. Even with relatively low water, you can launch a pretty good size boat at the launch on Ghost as the base is good and hard. Water always has gone up and down there quite a bit.
I was pointing it out for everyone else on the thread that may read and want to try their boat there. If you look up I suggested ghost for his kayak. The lake is down because they drain it in case of potential flooding. Last time I was there the boat launch pad wasn’t even in the water.