Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Default Bobbers

i have never used bobbers but had to a few times this year. Are they soppose to fill with water? i didnt think they did but all the ones i have did. Cheap or a little more money didnt matter. Is there a good type to buy are am i doing something wrong?

Thanks
Jinx
Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Hello jinx. Well im no expert in the field of bobbers but i do believe that they are not supposed to fill with water. They are made to float. If they fill with water they would sink and would not be bobbing any more. If you looked around in some fishing stores you could probably find a good one. There are some that are made of solid styrofoam and they will not sink.
Good luck on the water.
Fishstix...
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM

some are designed to fill with water for weight-ie casting them
Old 09-21-2009, 09:44 PM

Hi Tony...well its official....im not an expert on bobbers, but im one step closer!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 PM

this was new to me also but some swear by them-they swear at lots of things
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Casting bobbers are great for using flies with spinning gear. The extra weight of the water definitely helps with casting.

Deano
Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Yeah, the one you're talking about that fills with water is usually called an adjust-a-bobber or maybe a torpedo bobber.

Like tonyflyfish said, you put water in them to add some weight so you can cast. For example, I haven't gotten into fly fishing yet (that's next season's goal!) but if I want to use a fly with my spinning gear I'll use one of these bobbers a few feet before my fly so I can actually cast it out.

edit: Deano beat me to the fly on spinning gear example!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 PM

There are lots of different types of bobbers. Some do fill with water, while others don't. I've got one of the ones that fills with water, but I've never actually used it.

Your bobber shouldn't fill with water on it's own. If that's the case, you're probably doing something wrong.

If you want, bring the bobbers you're using on Thursday and I'll have a look at them. Maybe I can figure out what the issue is if I see them in person. I'll bring the bobbers I've got so you can see some different types, and try to explain how to use them

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
i have never used bobbers but had to a few times this year. Are they soppose to fill with water? i didnt think they did but all the ones i have did. Cheap or a little more money didnt matter. Is there a good type to buy are am i doing something wrong?

Thanks
Jinx
My fave are slip bobbers used in conjunction with bobber stops. Thill balsa bobbers work awesome. Got at least 8 in the tackle box for different uses.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 AM

I use the clear ones filled with water as a substitute for a sliding, Lindy rig sinker when fishing weed covered bottoms. They don't sink into the weeds as deep. Rig it skinny end pointing toward you to shed weeds on the retrieve