Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Default pictures from the best fly fishing trip yet!!!

Here are some pictures of my fishing trip last weekend near valleyview ab. We were there for around 2 days and caught around 100 rainbow trout averaging in size between 3-6 lbs!! The action was none stop with 2 triple headers and 10 plus doulble headers!! these fish were so aggresive that if you werent paying attention the rod would be pulled out of your hands or youd get one mean knuckle buster!

these fish were so aggresive we had caught one fish to cook up and eat, so we put him on the stringer and kept him in the water. a lilttle while later we returned to shore for a bathroom break, setting our rods on the side of the boat. When we returned and started to get our lines wet again, my brother in law was cursing saying his fly might be caught in the prop of the trolling motor. But on closer inspection the fish on the stringer had taken the fly again as his last meal!!!

hope you enjoy the pics!! happy fishing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001 [].jpg (115.1 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002 [].jpg (105.6 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg scan0003 [].jpg (70.5 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg scan0004 [].jpg (130.3 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg scan0005 [].jpg (129.3 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg scan0006 [].jpg (111.0 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg scan0007 [].jpg (129.9 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg scan0008 [].jpg (134.7 KB, 314 views)
Old 09-18-2009, 04:46 PM

nice fish guys!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-18-2009, 04:46 PM

a few more pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0009 [].jpg (122.3 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg scan0010 [].jpg (114.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg scan0011 [].jpg (129.0 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg scan0012 [].jpg (93.4 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg scan0013 [].jpg (87.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 09-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .millartime. View Post
a few more pics!
would you give the location of the lake?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Gone Hunting

nice fish

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 PM

well redheadedfisherman if it was MY honey hole id give it to ya i dont mind helping out a fellow fisherman, BUT it was my co workers honey hole and i had to harass him for 4 months before he would take me! but i will tell you its about 35 km past valleyview towards gp
Old 09-18-2009, 05:53 PM

its pretty easy, most popular lake in the gp area or peace region for trout, its swan lake and everyone around the area knows about it. looks like the algae might have died down and the fish are back biting, great pics.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 PM

Looks like u had a blast. Nice pics! Especially the last one with the sun going down - beauty!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:29 AM

Smile

Nice stuff guys. Those fish look like they have a real unique color to them. Very dark green backs. Great looking stuff.

Rob
Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Banned

sorry to burst your bubble but its swan lake dude. I recognise the boat launch. Im heading there this sunday. Its awesome to see that they are biting again last time i went it was way to hot and there wasnt even a rise. Man these pictures have gotten me all excited lol yeah cant wait to blow up the old seahawk. Theres some big fish in there alright. Most of them dont go under 3 lbs. I went fishing in july as they started to be less aggressive and caught a 5 lbs one. Damn now my heart is racing just to get out there. What fly were you using. The algae has diffinately gone down. Last time i went in august i couldnt even see the bottom of the launch cause of all the algae. Did all you guys use fly rods or did anyone use spincasters at all. also i noticed some of you were holding the fish by the boat launch. Did you guys catch any by the shore or was that from the boat.

Last edited by bruce44; 09-19-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:29 AM

we were all fly fishing with sinking line, we were using a varitey of leach patterns. the algae bloom was still pretty bad to be honest, but we were fishing very deep almost on the bottom. but we were still catching fish at all deepts. I found the biggest fish that we caught were all right off the boat launch to the north in the weed bed close to shore. the whole weekend was 30 degrees plus but that didnt seem to stop them at all. we found the hotter it was the deeper the fish were.

the one fish i caught on my way back to the boat launch and just brought him on shore. the other fish is a different story. i was standing on shore waiting for the truck to get to the launch so we could pack the boat up. then out of the corner of my eye i see this really large trout fly out of the weeds all the way up to the shore!!(about a foot away from the shore in 2 inches of water!!) so i was scrambling to get my rod into the water!! i finally got my leach into the water with almost perfect placement(which was a total fluke). he follwed it all the way to shore till he bottomed out than took my hook!!! he was such a strong fish that it took me about 10 mins to get him in and about 7 runs of line!!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .millartime. View Post
well redheadedfisherman if it was MY honey hole id give it to ya i dont mind helping out a fellow fisherman, BUT it was my co workers honey hole and i had to harass him for 4 months before he would take me! but i will tell you its about 35 km past valleyview towards gp
Swan Lake Recreation Area is located 16 km southwest of Hamlet of Ridgevalley ( Ridgevalley is 72 km east of Grande Prairie, Alberta along Highway 43
( A Tidbit ) Swan Lake (Alberta)
Swan Lake is the most publicized lake in the Peace Country. The reason w hy will be most evident after you enjoy a fishing experience at this lake. From Grande Prairie, travel east approximately 72 km on highway 43 to the small hamlet of Ridgevalley. From Ridgevalley south 16 km on a well maintained gravel road will direct you to the largest Rainbow Trout fishing in the region.

Presently the recreation area is unsupervised and maintenance is minimal. A few rustic campsites exist amongst the trees next to the lake. Service does not exist, but you will find a washroom, fish cleaning stand, and ocasionally some wood. Access to the lake is a steep ramp and a muddy shoreline. Electric motors are requested as a power source.

Acquiring the name Swan lake in 1952 would suggest you may view some of these prestigious birds; regretably, the increasing amount of boats and fishing activity prohibits that. However, there is a bald headed eagle family usually raising its young at the east end of the lake.

The lake is shallow, but aeration allows the fish to thrive all year. The abundance of natural feed in this lake produces Rainbow Trout from an average of two pounds up to 8 or 9 pounds.

Early spring fishing can produce results with leeches, shrimp, bright olive nymphs, and a sinking tip line produces better success. May and June are your best months for clear water, as the lake produces a hevy algae bloom July through September. During this time brightly coloured flies, streamers, and Wooly Worms are successful.

September and October can provide excellent sized Rainbow Trout with careful presentation of back swimmers, Doc Spratley, and Marabou Muddlers.

The Popularity of this lake is a direct reflection of the size of Rainbow. Some days it may appear congested to a fly fisherman in a belly boat due to the number of aluminum boats cruising the lake. With proper courtesy there is space for everyone to enjoy a rewarding day of fishing.

and your all safe it's to far far me to go right now..
more importante things on my plate lol, like MOVING lol!!

Last edited by RedHeadedFisherman; 09-19-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Banned

Oh no millartime the bloom was much worse in august. You couldnt even see the bottom of the boat launch. Im at a big disadvantage though cause i dont have a fish finder or anything like that so i have to guess the depth by using my anchor. Was there anything rising when the sun started to go down.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:49 PM

oh ok i see, but i dont have a fish finder or anything ethier i did 99% of my fishing from my float tube. The guauge i used was i striped my fly line all the way out till i was about 3 or 4 wraps to my backing. The thing with this lake is the fish are EVERYWHERE and it doesnt take long to hook a fish.

but during the later hours the fish started to come up and just have yur hook about 5 feet down and youll be golden!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Banned

Where do you live millar. You should try out this lake in the spring around may and june its awesome cause they are much more aggressive after the winter. The chronis start to hatch and they go nuts. Man cant wait to get out there, hopefully it doesnt start raining on me that day lol. You should try out the other lakes around here like spring, and snipe. Lesser slave which is north of valleyview has awesome walleye, and pike same with sturgeon lake.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM

yes ive heard very good things about the other lakes around that area. I live in red deer but sometimes work out of tumbler ridge, so when i drive thru i usually stop at a new spot each time but with all the sucess there i might just make a habit of stoping in! i think next year me and the guys are going to go up in the end of may for a weekend to try our luck with somke spring fishing
Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Banned

hey millartime what kind of leech did you use. Like the colors. were they wooly buggers or something else. I went out there today to see if i could get a couple with my spoons. I got 1 bite the whole time and i switched to every lure i could find. Then i see this fly fisherman 30 ft away and he was raking them in. When i asked what he used he said leech flies. But he never said what colour, or style. What were you using. Or should i just go and get a bunch of different coloured wooly bugger leech flies, a couple dock spratleys and back swimmers
Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 AM

Great thread thanks for sharing. I've already been losing sleep thinking about my trip up there on the 2nd. This thread will not help with the sleep no doubt. I've heard real good things about the fall fishing with swimmers. Got a new panther pontoon and I can't wait to put it too work!

Great photo's! I like the rotory shirt too! I miss my seven dearly.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 AM

Wow Millar, those are gorgeous fish!! I can imagine the fight they gave you. Im just getting back INTO fishing as, after 25 yrs of marriage, my wife discovered she absolutely LOVES fishing! I got her some spinning gear...I'm a long time fly guy. But I was pretty much just a "once-a-year" fisherman when I went back to visit my ole' man in BC. I took her to Chain Lakes the other weekend and she caught a bunch of pan-fry rainbows and she's HOOKED!!! (pardon the pun) She wants to go fishing every weekend now and is dying to catch something like what you got in your pics!! I might just try a drive up to Swan. Can you bring a 27' trailer in there? (Momma needs her amenities!)
Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 AM

ill kill two birds with one stone here. it didnt really matter what kind of leach pattern we were using they all seemed to work. We had the most success on an bright olive green pattern, and a dark purple pattern. I even caught a few on a bright yellow nymph patern as well. there were other guys there also using a pickel rig with salmon eggs on it wrapped in cheese cloth so the eggs wouldnt fall off, and they were bringing in fish as well.

and yes you can bring in a trailer, there is a large parking lot there with 2 or 3nice sized camp sites. But it is first come first serve and not services only a outhouse. also there is no gas motors allowed on the lake!

Hope this helps you guys out!
Happy fishing and let me know how it plays out!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 AM

nice trouts
Old 09-23-2009, 09:23 AM

nice fish Millar, My best out of there is 8 lbs. I love that lake. I hope that fish and wildlife keep stocking it. I actually would like to see some grass carp put in to help with the algae, and put and areator in the summertime as well. the o2 content in the lake is quite low. So tell everyone you know there are no fish left in swan lake