Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Default Stingy south saskatchewan!

Curious as to how anybody else is doing as far as fishing the ol SSR this summer has gone. Been a strange summer weather wise, as we all know, and for sure this has affected the fishing but lately I jus don't get it? Last year, this time, I was smashing fish left, right n center at my regular spots on the riv, but now not so much. River was brutally murky for quite some time this summer, but now that there has been less rain for awhile it is quite clear. Fish On - right? Wrong. 2 hrs, mid morning between 2 of us produced a perty Goldeye for my buddy, a 4 inch walleye was my big catch of the day. Yes - 4 inches, 5 at best. Wanted to take it home and throw it in the tank, it was kinda cute. But i didn't Anyways, went back next day by myself to give it another shot - 2 hrs = 1 sucker What gives? Usually on a slow day, 2 hrs of fishing generally produces 3-4 fish. I miss my sturg Anyone anyone.....thoughts?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Curious as to how anybody else is doing as far as fishing the ol SSR this summer has gone. Been a strange summer weather wise, as we all know, and for sure this has affected the fishing but lately I jus don't get it? Last year, this time, I was smashing fish left, right n center at my regular spots on the riv, but now not so much. River was brutally murky for quite some time this summer, but now that there has been less rain for awhile it is quite clear. Fish On - right? Wrong. 2 hrs, mid morning between 2 of us produced a perty Goldeye for my buddy, a 4 inch walleye was my big catch of the day. Yes - 4 inches, 5 at best. Wanted to take it home and throw it in the tank, it was kinda cute. But i didn't Anyways, went back next day by myself to give it another shot - 2 hrs = 1 sucker What gives? Usually on a slow day, 2 hrs of fishing generally produces 3-4 fish. I miss my sturg Anyone anyone.....thoughts?
I can't speak directly on the SSR since I've never fished it, but I've been fishin in the NSR for the past couple months and everybody I've been talking to out there has been saying that this year has been quite slow in general. Also, the water in the NSR is on the low side, which I'm sure is affecting things.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 AM

Ya water is slightly lower than norm, nevertheless, the fishies r still in there and my deepest holes just aren't producing. Gonna try different locations and maybe pull the boat out again. I will find the fish. Thanx 4 ur post Geez, it appears nobody else knows anything about the SSR or simply do not want to offer suggestions. 62 views yet 1 reply. Sad really. Guess I'll jus go back to reading the same regurgitated info on all the same lakes . P.S. - Geez, keep up with the threads, nice to hear fresh questions from time to time. If u ever make ur way to the Hat, drop me a PM and we can go wrangle some fishies if u would like.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
P.S. - Geez, keep up with the threads, nice to hear fresh questions from time to time. If u ever make ur way to the Hat, drop me a PM and we can go wrangle some fishies if u would like.
Hey thanks for the invite Whenever I'm able to finally make the time for it, I'd love to come down for a day or two of fishing.

In the meantime maybe I'll hit the NSR later today and see what comes of that...if nothing else maybe I can get that log out of there!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 AM

Yup, work and fishing don't really go hand in hand. Hard to find time these days. For sure, perhaps sometime we can hit the riv up around the ol Hat - I know of plenty of spots. Best thing I love about river fishing is u never know what ur gonna get (which is why I prefer river over lake anyday)- Wally, Goldy, Pike, Trout, Burbot, Sucka, Sturg!!!etc. They are all a blast as far as I am concerned. Sidenote - I'm gonna try n make it up for some playoff games in the spring (Yes the Oilers will make the playoffs - fan of 25+ yrs here - team looks gr8!), perhaps u could introduce me to the NSR as I have never fished it and it sounds like fun! More sturg than SSR I am pretty sure though not as perty or big but I could be wrong there. Anyways, gonna tackle the riv on Sun/Mon, will let y'all know how it goes. Till then, happy fishn all
Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Yup, work and fishing don't really go hand in hand. Hard to find time these days. For sure, perhaps sometime we can hit the riv up around the ol Hat - I know of plenty of spots. Best thing I love about river fishing is u never know what ur gonna get (which is why I prefer river over lake anyday)- Wally, Goldy, Pike, Trout, Burbot, Sucka, Sturg!!!etc. They are all a blast as far as I am concerned. Sidenote - I'm gonna try n make it up for some playoff games in the spring (Yes the Oilers will make the playoffs - fan of 25+ yrs here - team looks gr8!), perhaps u could introduce me to the NSR as I have never fished it and it sounds like fun! More sturg than SSR I am pretty sure though not as perty or big but I could be wrong there. Anyways, gonna tackle the riv on Sun/Mon, will let y'all know how it goes. Till then, happy fishn all
Yeah, I definitely like the variety of fish that can come out of the river...you never know what it is that you're going to pull out Sadly I think I've pulled more suckers out of the NSR than any other species so far. I'm still learning about the sturgeon fishing, but I'm definitely getting into it (even spent a little money I probably shouldn't have and got a rod/reel just for sturgeon) so I plan on hitting the NSR lots next spring. Just let me know when you'll be heading up and I'm sure we can work something out

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Yeah, I definitely like the variety of fish that can come out of the river...you never know what it is that you're going to pull out Sadly I think I've pulled more suckers out of the NSR than any other species so far. I'm still learning about the sturgeon fishing, but I'm definitely getting into it (even spent a little money I probably shouldn't have and got a rod/reel just for sturgeon) so I plan on hitting the NSR lots next spring. Just let me know when you'll be heading up and I'm sure we can work something out
Sounds like a plan. Curious, what ur using for bait in the NSR. Mostly a minnow man here, sometimes mix it up with leeches and worms. I find the darn suckas take to the worms quite well as do the sturg, unfortunately, there are so many suckas they tend to nail it first. from the SSR, my largest walleye (cant recall how big though), largest Pike (41 inches - caught bigger - never landed it though), and largest Sturg (49 inches) were all caught with medium size salted minnows. All were caught within the first 2 weeks of the season too. Cheers!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. Curious, what ur using for bait in the NSR. Mostly a minnow man here, sometimes mix it up with leeches and worms. I find the darn suckas take to the worms quite well as do the sturg, unfortunately, there are so many suckas they tend to nail it first. from the SSR, my largest walleye (cant recall how big though), largest Pike (41 inches - caught bigger - never landed it though), and largest Sturg (49 inches) were all caught with medium size salted minnows. All were caught within the first 2 weeks of the season too. Cheers!
Been using mainly worms out there, but last time I was out I had some minnows with me that I've had kicking around for quite a while, so I figured I'd toss one on a hook, along with a white plastic body and see what happens...well I'm pretty sure that day the only big hit I had was on that minnow! I'm thinking that it was probably a walleye that hit it.

When I go out again I'm going to give the minnows another shot a little off the bottom, and then lay a worm right on the bottom as well...cover all my bases. From what I'm hearing sturgeon season is kinda dying off, but the walleye are just picking up, so it's time to change up the bait accordingly

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 10:27 AM

Haven't been fishing since spring, with work and all. Was planning to hit the SSR this weekend, maybe Redcliff. Don't sound to encouraging though!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigshanks View Post
Haven't been fishing since spring, with work and all. Was planning to hit the SSR this weekend, maybe Redcliff. Don't sound to encouraging though!
Don't let my poor fishing lately deter u. Coulda been a # of things, I never hit the water till bout 9:30 both days. Bout 3.5 hrs later than I shoulda been there. I was at the PP sturg hole. Redcliff may produce completely different fishing. What u doing Sunday, bout 6a.m.Fish on perhaps? Hi ho hi ho off to work I go, will check back lata. Happy huntin all
Old 09-21-2009, 05:46 PM

went down 2 weekends this year, girlfriend caught a 42 pounder and a family friend caught a 30 ish pounder that was it. My uncle fishes down there quite a bit and didnt have very much luck at all for sturgeon 10 maybe all year, whereas we have 10 sturgeon weekends previously.....
Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Fishfinder do you ever fish around the forks? I have only fished the river a couple times down here, too busy pulling pike out of the reservoirs. I will have to do more this fall, especially if the frikkin wind keeps blowing like it has been. I want my first sturgeon, guess I should fish where they are

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 PM

Default ssr fishing slow

i hear you on the river being slow, sturgeon fishing has been down right crappy. not used to that, the sturg's were on hard in the spring, they were bein caught all over the place, but really tough since. i think i will wait on walleye probably till 1st week of oct. they should be stacking up by then. just hit your fav walleye hole and i'm sure u will be rewarded. u got have a bit of confidence when u head out or stuff just won't go your way.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Fishfinder do you ever fish around the forks? I have only fished the river a couple times down here, too busy pulling pike out of the reservoirs. I will have to do more this fall, especially if the frikkin wind keeps blowing like it has been. I want my first sturgeon, guess I should fish where they are
Only fished the forks once (2 days camping there - beautiful/peaceful ) and between 3 of us we managed 10 fish. (2 sturg) back in early spring. Was actually thinking about heading out there again unfortunately my days off changed to weekends and from what I hear u gotta get there early in the week if u want a spot for the weekend as far as camping goes. Might not b so bad now as summer has come to an end.
Did manage to wrangle 3 eyes here in town the other day, one being aboout 5-6 #s. No comparison as to bringing in a sturg but nice to see the walleye bite is starting to pick up. Cheers all
Old 09-22-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Don't let my poor fishing lately deter u. Coulda been a # of things, I never hit the water till bout 9:30 both days. Bout 3.5 hrs later than I shoulda been there. I was at the PP sturg hole. Redcliff may produce completely different fishing. What u doing Sunday, bout 6a.m.Fish on perhaps? Hi ho hi ho off to work I go, will check back lata. Happy huntin all
Well, another weekend came and went and still did not find the time to head out. OH well!!! Busy time at work should be over by Thanksgiving...then maybe a week off to reaquaint myself with the tackle box
Old 09-22-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigshanks View Post
Well, another weekend came and went and still did not find the time to head out. OH well!!! Busy time at work should be over by Thanksgiving...then maybe a week off to reaquaint myself with the tackle box
Should b good fishing then. Managed to get out this weekend and had some luck. Bite IS picking up. Lotsa boats out there too - perfect conditions. They too, were having some luck. Cheers