Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 PM

Default Leeches: Gulp! Alive! vs. The Real Thing

So ever since I was a kid, when baitfishing I have always used real bait.

I've glanced at the Gulp Alive products before, but never looked too seriously at them because of the price, and because I'm not really familiar with them.

Where I fish on the NSR I've mainly been using dew worms for sturgeon, but I'm going to be going into walleye mode right away so I'll probably be changing some things up.

That got me thinking about leeches. Leeches are great bait, but they're expensive, and aren't available all the time. Then I saw the tubs of Gulp Alive leeches, and suddenly they don't seem like such a bad idea. They definitely have a good 'look' to them if nothing else. The fact that they can be stored and won't go bad is another plus.

So for anybody who has used these, or any other flavor of the Gulp Alive products, what did you think of it? How's the action?

After searching through the forum I did see that it's a good idea to 'recharge' them in the tub of juice after about 10-12 casts. How well do they hold up to being taken off and put back on to the hooks? Do they get tore up or are they pretty solid?

I'm thinking I'll at very least pick up one of the ziplock packs of them to try out, but if I get enough positive feedback on them, I may splurge and get the tub so I can recharge them.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 07:09 PM

I've used them on two occasions this year. Both times were when the wally bite was pretty good. The gulp alive leeches seemed to produce pretty well - maybe just a touch slower than the real thing. On the positive side, they don't get shredded near as fast as the real thing (though they do eventually get chewed up) and you don't have any issues keeping them on barbless hooks.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM

Used the in Northern Saskatchewan. The fish weren't buyin them. I would not bank on them as my only bait.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Used the in Northern Saskatchewan. The fish weren't buyin them. I would not bank on them as my only bait.
No, I definitely wouldn't bank on them as my only bait...especially since I've never used them before! I'll still be tossing real worms and minnows out there, just thought that these Alive! leeches might be a good option to have on hand as well.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 08:05 PM

I have had some sucsess with the 5" ones. They look very real and if towed behind a spinner rig they work quite well, but if you are doing a slow presentation like a lindy or slipbobber i prefer the real thig, the bigger the betterVanity Cup comeing up , Ill be useing the real thing
Old 09-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnyder View Post
I have had some sucsess with the 5" ones. They look very real and if towed behind a spinner rig they work quite well, but if you are doing a slow presentation like a lindy or slipbobber i prefer the real thig, the bigger the betterVanity Cup comeing up , Ill be useing the real thing
I just noticed on TFH's website that both the 3" and 5" ones are on sale...might have to pick up a tub!

Not sure really how they'd work for presentation in my situation.

For lack of a better description I'd be using them on something like a drop shot rig, so they'd be sitting up off the bottom in the current of the river.

Any thoughts on that particular presentation?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I just noticed on TFH's website that both the 3" and 5" ones are on sale...might have to pick up a tub!

Not sure really how they'd work for presentation in my situation.

For lack of a better description I'd be using them on something like a drop shot rig, so they'd be sitting up off the bottom in the current of the river.

Any thoughts on that particular presentation?
if there is current to put a little movement in them I would try them, use the 5" , blck with gold flecks.Seemed to work the best.I thought they would let go with the unnatural texture but they actually will hold on and swaller them.Good LUK
Old 09-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
if there is current to put a little movement in them I would try them, use the 5" , blck with gold flecks.Seemed to work the best.I thought they would let go with the unnatural texture but they actually will hold on and swaller them.Good LUK
Cool, thanks for the advice...one of the things I wasn't sure about was which size to get. I suppose if I really wanted both sizes I could always just get a tub of one size, and then a smaller bag of the other just to try both out. I don't want to overdo it though, in case I decide that these things just aren't for me.

From what I've read while searching the forum, it seems like with the Gulp Alive products, either people like them, or they don't.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 PM

They don't outfish the real thing as Berkeley claims but they don't seem too far behind in my experience. I will certainly use them again.

I'd grab both sizes and try them in different situations.

The one gulp product I will never buy again is there small sized earthworms (in a jar). I've been in situations where small perch were biting like mad.. and then another time where rainbows were biting like mad... tried the gulp worms and it was like the fish disappeared.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 PM

I used the gulp 5 and 3 inch ones trolling for walleye with a bottom bouncer and they worked very well, I did have some of the real ones but they didn't produce any more then the gulp leeches.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the advice...one of the things I wasn't sure about was which size to get. I suppose if I really wanted both sizes I could always just get a tub of one size, and then a smaller bag of the other just to try both out. I don't want to overdo it though, in case I decide that these things just aren't for me.

From what I've read while searching the forum, it seems like with the Gulp Alive products, either people like them, or they don't.
we use them as an alternate when other things arnt working so well or at Pigeon and Slave when your catching 100 small fish a day.I have a tupperwhare container in the boat with a good lid and dump 5: leeches, white hollow bodies, white grubs and 3-5" minnows all in the same stinky tub.Works grat, but they do stink
Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
They don't outfish the real thing as Berkeley claims but they don't seem too far behind in my experience. I will certainly use them again.

I'd grab both sizes and try them in different situations.

The one gulp product I will never buy again is there small sized earthworms (in a jar). I've been in situations where small perch were biting like mad.. and then another time where rainbows were biting like mad... tried the gulp worms and it was like the fish disappeared.
How small are the small size earthworms?

I'm just curious since it seems like earthworms are pretty much the standard bait where I'm usually fishing. I was looking at the bigger ones when I was at The Wal earlier today, but wasn't sure, and real earthworms are always available.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
we use them as an alternate when other things arnt working so well or at Pigeon and Slave when your catching 100 small fish a day.I have a tupperwhare container in the boat with a good lid and dump 5: leeches, white hollow bodies, white grubs and 3-5" minnows all in the same stinky tub.Works grat, but they do stink
Wait, so you just have a tupperware container full of the juice from one of the tubs, and then just toss some regular plastics in there for flavor?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM

They're a tiny bit smaller than the 'trout worms' you'd buy at the fishing hole. Once again - DO NOT USE them. Terrible bait - my 90% full jar was tossed into the garbage bin after two uses. In the hot bite situations I was in, I'm sure I would've gotten bites on a rolled up piece of toilet paper yet the worms got nothing.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
They're a tiny bit smaller than the 'trout worms' you'd buy at the fishing hole. Once again - DO NOT USE them. Terrible bait - my 90% full jar was tossed into the garbage bin after two uses. In the hot bite situations I was in, I'm sure I would've gotten bites on a rolled up piece of toilet paper yet the worms got nothing.
Ok, so not too big...I normally only buy the jumbo dew worms from TFH, but I've looked at the trout worms so I've got an idea.

I think with the worms anyway, it's just as easy to pick up the real ones, they're always available and not terribly expensive...and if I don't use them up fishing I can feed them to my lizards!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 PM

No arguements but it'd be nice if Berkeley came up with something that'd let me catch 80-100% of the fish I'd catch with real worms yet saved me a trip to the tackle shop.

Even the gulp maggots (while being better than the worms) ended up fishing a fair amount slower on the perch. Though I didn't have real maggots to compare at the time. I'm going to give them a shot this winter most likely.

I'm not a gulp/powerbait hater by any means though. I use plenty of their products for trout and, as I said, the leeches did pretty well for me this summer.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 PM

I use Berkley products fairly often and agree that they are sometimes close to as good as the real thing. I've considered using the leeches but haven't yet. I'd like to use them with a slip bobber rig for walleyes, but like 'bsynder' said they probably wouldn't have the right action.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Wait, so you just have a tupperware container full of the juice from one of the tubs, and then just toss some regular plastics in there for flavor?
i get a tub each of our favorites and mix them all together, and yes ill even throw in other plastics as wellyou pay a lot for the stink, might as well get as much use out of it as possible
Old 09-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is my experience as well -

If it's a reaction bite - trolling bouncers/spinners, working jigs, etc..., they work pretty well, almost as good as the real thing, but never as effective.

If it's a subtle bite - rigging, slip bobbers, dragging jigs, etc..., they simply can't compete with the real thing.

That pretty much goes for all the Gulp/Powerbait stuff.

Waxy
Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 PM

It's not say they don't out fish the real thing i have had plenty of times were i have been fishing with minnows and caught nothing especially on the days were there just nibbling on it

With gulp they inhale it every time and my catch to lost ratio has improved greatly.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

I'v used the 3" leaches, 3" florescent yellow curly tail grub/minnow things and texas rigged 5" plastic worms . Other than the worms I fish them on a spinner rig behind a bottom bouncer and while I dont think they outfish the real thing I think often I can catch more fish on them because I do not waste time rebaiting between fish and if I miss a strike I dont have to pull my rig up and see if the bait is still on. The slower the presentaint and the slower the bite the worse they work though.

The gulp trout worms are complete garbage though, I took some allong on my alaska road trip and they were pretty much the only thing in my tackle box that the fish WOULDNT bite. In the Yukon grayling would sometimes hit a bare hook and they still wouldnt bite those worms!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
The gulp trout worms are complete garbage though, I took some allong on my alaska road trip and they were pretty much the only thing in my tackle box that the fish WOULDNT bite. In the Yukon grayling would sometimes hit a bare hook and they still wouldnt bite those worms!
Haha... that mirrors my experience pretty well. Did berkeley bother to test these things?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 PM

I am not a fan of gulp power baits, used the maggots/minnows/worms and havnt caught a single fish on them in places where real worms/minnows have landed me a few. I do use the gulp alive spray where allowed and it does seem to work well on the bait as I do seem to get more bites.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
In the Yukon grayling would sometimes hit a bare hook and they still wouldnt bite those worms!
Wow, those worms must suck even more than I expected...I'll definitely be avoiding them!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Well, I was by TFH earlier today and grabbed a little 'bucket' of the 5" Jumbo Leeches in black (they didn't have the ones with the red flecks, but they did have a couple other oddball color combos) while they're still on sale. I was thinking about getting a bucket of the 3" ones as well, but I think I'll try these ones out first before I invest too much money into them. I might get a bag of the 3" ones with the black flecks and just toss them in the stink juice though.

Also, does anybody actually know how many of these things come in a bucket? I tried searching the net but all I'm coming up with is that it's a 12oz bucket.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-19-2009, 07:17 PM

Gulp Maggots work for me with the Perch, and as mentioned no time wasted rebaiting after every nibble. The leeches work real good for me and I also have thrown all my plastics into one stinky tupperware.
Dodger.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Good to know, I'm sure I'll be looking at the Gulp! maggots come hard water season

Also, for those of you using the leeches, do you just stick them on the hook like you would a live leech, or do you thread them on more like a regular plastic?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 PM

I thread my Gulp Leech like a regular plastic on black jig heads.
Dodger.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Banned

I thread em on the hook like a jig. Seems like I get less short strikes and it makes it harder for the fish to pull them off.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I thread my Gulp Leech like a regular plastic on black jig heads.
Dodger.
Quote:
I thread em on the hook like a jig. Seems like I get less short strikes and it makes it harder for the fish to pull them off.
Thanks guys, I was thinking the same thing as far as less short strikes and them staying on better...just wanted confirmation, especially since I'll be using mine a little differently, on a snelled hook out in the current, instead of on a jig

How do you guys find they hold up after being put on/taken off the hook a few times that way to 'recharge' them? Do they stay pretty intact or do they get kinda shredded?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams