Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
X2

Many seem to believe that Alberta's fisheries should exist to provide them with their own personal vision of ideal angling without regard for what other anglers from differing schools of thought want. While you occasionally see meat fishers on these boards that maintain the destructive belief that our waters exist to fill their freezers, the biggest and most vocal soapboxers are the C&R anglers. Almost on a daily basis I see C&R anglers either boldly or subtely demonize those who want to keep a fish while they themselves kill fish via C&R mortality for no other purpose than personal entertainment.

Then of course you have the preachers who believe that anyone who:

a) keeps a small fish
b) keeps a big fish
c) argues for current regulations
d) argues against current regulations
e) uses a treble hook
f) uses a pickeral rig
g) uses bait

.. should be summarily executed.

Everyone has an opinion and everyone has a 'solution'. But if your opinion or solution doesn't support the wishes of a given group of law-abiding and responsible anglers while maintaining reasonably healthy fisheries, keep it to yourself. I'm truly tired of all the self righteous BS I see here.
Wulfespirit. I have never said in any fashion that I am for or against keeping a fish, bait fishing etc. I am in favor of fishing and improving it. If you think everything is perfectly fine or don't have an opinion one way or another then I envy your fishing locations.

I am not a C&R angler. I do kill fish from time to time and love eating fish. I hope you did not have the wrong impression.

Thanks.

Sun
Old 09-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Ok, since all bios and techs have been taught this at one time as a solid management plan for those species, why is it you would you open a thread to shoot down what fishfun said as, what he said, is the same explaination you just handed me?

And since all the bios and techs have learned this, IN THIER FIRST YEAR, And can borrow research from other provinces to back this up, why do they discount it and go with the Trophy Trout regs they have for walleyes and pike now?

I dont mind putting blame on the bios sometimes, but not the techs. They got way more sense than the bios by far!

Thats ok. As the trout get better and the other species get worse in the other 60 percent, alot of that 60% will start fishing for trout. They will come with rapalas and pickerel rigs with marshmallows and be filling the parking lots along the highwood leaving no room for those that have fished those waters unfettered for years. Lots of pike anglers on here already asking questions about how to catch trout.
In the next few years, were going to hear ALOT of whining from the fly guys about the ever increasing population of anglers fishing thier favorite spots, and not doing it thier way.

Wanna save the trout? How about lobby to fix the 60% before you try to save a put and take fishery like Allen Bill or your private lake. Fix the 60% and we'll never have to worry about a stocked pond!

I'm sick of trying and writing letters, may you can pull something off with your drive and educational background as credentials.

STEELHEAD

Sun, I dont do pm's in threads like this. You can talk to me here.

Last edited by steelhead; 09-22-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
Ok, since all bios and techs have been taught this at one time as a solid management plan for those species, why is it you would you open a thread to shoot down what fishfun said as, what he said, is the same explaination you just handed me?

And since all the bios and techs have learned this, IN THIER FIRST YEAR, And can borrow research from other provinces to back this up, why do they discount it and go with the Trophy Trout regs they have for walleyes and pike now?

I dont mind putting blame on the bios sometimes, but not the techs. They got way more sense than the bios by far!

STEELHEAD

Sun, I dont do pm's in threads like this. You can talk to me here.
hmmm... Maybe we are saying the same thing and what I said is misunderstood. Please cut and paste my quote where you say I disagree with what I wrote above?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 PM

Your the one that posted a thread to correct fishfuns way of thinking after he said exactly what you just did. Thats a disagreement. I guess i'm misunderstood.

My appologies.

STEELHEAD
Old 09-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Your the one that posted a thread to correct fishfuns way of thinking after he said exactly what you just did. Thats a disagreement. I guess i'm misunderstood.

My appologies.

STEELHEAD
I guess I am a little dense this afternoon. I don't recall disagreeing with him on this?

Where did I say that? Could you please quote me? Then I have to note to read more carefully to ensure my brain and fingers are communicating better

I was trying to point out that he was complaining about the fishing in Alberta, complaining about the biologists etc... but not having even fished in 22 years. Just seemed a little off

Thanks.

Sun
Old 09-22-2009, 03:04 PM

He wasnt off as you percieve it.

The fishing in Alberta has deteriorated since the late 90's new wave in regs, they got a bit better and some did well, but the effects from overpopulation have become quite apparent in the last few years with walleyes and bull trout. They are still closing lakes and loss of size and populations of many other species. Maybee not trout, but the other 60%.

If the bios were taught how to manage walleyes in school, and then they manage them like trout, then yes, they do have a huge part in fishfun blaming them. I BLAME THEM.

What the bios dont realize is that when they close one spot, those anglers move. Close that spot, they move again. Then they throw the "fishing pressure" excuse as to why certain fisheries are being hurt. Then they like seeing commercial fisheries do what the sport anglers arent doing because they close the lakes to sportfishing desireable species. Open them all and spread the pressure out. Lots to go around but were taught theres not.

I blame them

And his comments were dead on . They might not jive with your way of thinking, but they are dead on.

I made my point, sorry for flaming. I'm done

STEELHEAD

Last edited by steelhead; 09-22-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:06 PM

I'm not accusing you of anything in particular, Sun. My comment was intended to address the broader issue of the types of threads being posted on this board.

I admit that the original focus of this thread is only lightly tied to what I wrote but it was looking to be yet another 'my way is the only right way' fest that has plagued any decent discussion on this board and manages to alienate different groups of anglers on any given day.

Until their is more money AND a greater level of competance at fish and wildlife there will be many angry and unhappy anglers in this province and on this board. In the meantime, the soapboxing posts which basically boil down to anglers venting at each other under the guise of moral or intellectual superiority are just making this board less useful and enjoyable for everyone.

Last edited by Wulfespirit; 09-22-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM

Deleted - double post
Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:

My appologies.

STEELHEAD
I have to ask.....................Why do you sign your posts with your handel when its displayed right above the post? could be that crazy third person talk
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM

Steelhead doesnt have to answer your questions.

Steelhead knows hes too cool for you.

STEELHEAD

Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Steelhead doesnt have to answer your questions.

Steelhead knows hes too cool for you.

STEELHEAD

I was just kidding
Thats awsome thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM

well I guess I can finish off by saying...

I agree that closing fisheries just puts incremental pressure on other fisheries. It does work out to be like a dog chasing it's tail. Don't blame the biologists...blame the politicians providing funding for studies and technicians.

But...how does apathy compare to trying to create some change and dialog towards the goal of better fishing hurt your fishing potential.

Maybe the mods should set up a category of "How to Improve our Fishery"? Maybe from bad ideas, from poorly thought out points...there can develop seriously useful ideas. Maybe the first step in trying to improve our fishery is to not constantly complain but come up with constructive solutions. Maybe if we all vented on an online forum page F&W can start looking to some useful input from fishermen like us. A public round table sort of idea. Then only those people that care about making fishing better need click.

Those that want to help great...join in. NO IDEA IS A BAD IDEA...the moto would state that. Rather than alienate someone trying to help...we can expand and improve on a thought or concept or work out the pros and cons of why it would or would not work.

I strongly believe apathy will not help us as a fishing community. We have to lobby, express our opinion to our politicians. Such as saying fishing is on our list of concerns when they call asking for a vote. Emailing Stelmach asking for more funds etc.

Cheers

Not STEELHEAD