Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
If you like fishin salmon I got no problem with that I just like the way smallies dance on the water.Not a big one on trolling I prefer to cast. to each his own....
Trolling for salmon??What's that? Oh nevermind,I know,it's alot like golf.....it's for people that don't know how to flyfish.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Trolling for salmon??What's that? Oh nevermind,I know,it's alot like golf.....it's for people that don't know how to flyfish.
Just an angry little man...... but thats ok ....have a good one.....
Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Horsetrader,

Welcome to AB.

I'm sure you have lots of experience in Ont. and may be able to share something that is used there to catch walleye or pike that is not as well known here. Also there may be methods used here that are unknown there.

I was born here and am jealous of anyone from Ont because of the amount of lakes and rivers there.

Unfortunately there is no bass fishery here. Likewise for musky. What is different here that prevents these fish? I am leaning toward cooler water temperatures during summer or is the water too hard. Ph levels? I am leaning toward water hardness myself.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Horsetrader,

Welcome to AB.

I'm sure you have lots of experience in Ont. and may be able to share something that is used there to catch walleye or pike that is not as well known here. Also there may be methods used here that are unknown there.

I was born here and am jealous of anyone from Ont because of the amount of lakes and rivers there.

Unfortunately there is no bass fishery here. Likewise for musky. What is different here that prevents these fish? I am leaning toward cooler water temperatures during summer or is the water too hard. Ph levels? I am leaning toward water hardness myself.
Thanks Kokanee

Don't be jealous Alberta has an awesome fishery and is well worth protecting.
There is not to many other places you can float on your tube in the shadows of glacier mountain ranges. I thing the issue with the bass and musky is due to the extreme cold for such a long period of time. Both species are a high oxygen needing fish. Looking forward to try my hand at flyfishing from what i've read on here there are some very knowable flyfishers here.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Oxygen levels.
I didn't think of that one.
Good possibility of that.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:01 PM

I had brought this up last year moving to Calgary from Ontario. I did a lot of research and the history is pretty interesting even when you factor in bass in bc.

All these fish originated from ontario. Bay of quinte gets mentioned alot I was looking into smallies and those are all from the bay .

The problem with our lakes is winter kills, the water temperature here sometimes doesn't even reach spawning temp of around 65 degrees till late summer or maybe never.

So what happens is the fish survive a few goes , fail to spawn , and eventually fizzle out. Could it work ? Yeah I think Newell looks prime for largies but it's overal spit among peoples favor if they approve.

If bass took off here you would see more tournaments and conservation efforts of clubs. We are right near the border to some great bass fishing and events so we could spawn new anglers and reps to involve themselves in qualifiers.

It's a fun thing to be part of but I don't think folks here know of or even care to appreciate this. Kinda more old fashioned , lots of bow river fanatics. And rightfully so , it's some of the best fishing to be had !

But I'm still in bc most weekends fishing bass , I don't care. Walleye is fine but it gets boring dragging up the bottom all summer , I need to mix things up. Overall I think were in a pretty good area . Lots of different types of opportunities surrounding just need to look around and appreciate it.

The introduction of bass in Alberta was attempted . The last known record is from island lake ...

Anyways , even if re introduced i doubt it would effect any fisheries , it's not like a squawfish or asian carp. Bass readily co existing with all different species so I still don't buy the argument that it would hurt fishing , especially when almost everything here is non native , and a lot of reservoirs !
Old 04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

I do agree if they could be introduced to breed or stocked in some areas they would add to an already great fishery
Old 04-06-2011, 02:18 PM

To grndr ,

You don't know a damn thing about bass fishing. I know your just cranking buddy up online. It's pretty funny how stupid you come off doing it ... Keep it up..
Old 04-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
i've never caught a bass. trader i'm not sure why you've got it out for me, i just wanna trade ponies. fishergrrrl sorry for the highjack.
lol no big deal, Im finding this thread pretty entertaining to say the least.

lol
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszomola View Post
I had brought this up last year moving to Calgary from Ontario. I did a lot of research and the history is pretty interesting even when you factor in bass in bc.

All these fish originated from ontario. Bay of quinte gets mentioned alot I was looking into smallies and those are all from the bay .

The problem with our lakes is winter kills, the water temperature here sometimes doesn't even reach spawning temp of around 65 degrees till late summer or maybe never.

So what happens is the fish survive a few goes , fail to spawn , and eventually fizzle out. Could it work ? Yeah I think Newell looks prime for largies but it's overal spit among peoples favor if they approve.

If bass took off here you would see more tournaments and conservation efforts of clubs. We are right near the border to some great bass fishing and events so we could spawn new anglers and reps to involve themselves in qualifiers.

It's a fun thing to be part of but I don't think folks here know of or even care to appreciate this. Kinda more old fashioned , lots of bow river fanatics. And rightfully so , it's some of the best fishing to be had !

But I'm still in bc most weekends fishing bass , I don't care. Walleye is fine but it gets boring dragging up the bottom all summer , I need to mix things up. Overall I think were in a pretty good area . Lots of different types of opportunities surrounding just need to look around and appreciate it.

The introduction of bass in Alberta was attempted . The last known record is from island lake ...

Anyways , even if re introduced i doubt it would effect any fisheries , it's not like a squawfish or asian carp. Bass readily co existing with all different species so I still don't buy the argument that it would hurt fishing , especially when almost everything here is non native , and a lot of reservoirs !
i have nothing against Bass fisherman.....but i'd sure like to see the poll where Albertans are split about stocking Bass in Newell
Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM

A poll. Good Idea!
That would help settle this.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 PM

yeah polls a good idea , just want to clarify i didnt mean on Newell , i should have wrote that more clearly .... i meant split in general here ...

sall good , the poll is good and i voted ...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just an angry little man...... but thats ok ....have a good one.....
Why yes,yes I am angry,but I'm not little.I am however more than a little angry over watching watershed after watershed ruined by the illegal introduction of invasive bass into my home waters by irresponsible morons to the detrimant of native brook trout and atlantic salmon populations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszomola View Post
To grndr ,

You don't know a damn thing about bass fishing. .
I'll asume I am grndr?
That's ok bud,you just keep telling yerself that.Aside from the fact that I've caught hundreds(a couple thousand?) of bass in both Ontario and NB,I've also made it a point to know my enemy quite well and am actively involved in efforts to eradicate bass from my home salmon/trout waters as well as educating and encouraging others to do the same.I'm afraid it's you and the ignorant fool bucket biologists like you that "don't know a damn thing about bass".Why dontcha take a few minutes on Google to educate yourself on the very real threat posed to native salmonids in NB and NS by invasive,illegal smallmouth introductions before you go running your mouth off.It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why yes,yes I am angry,but I'm not little.I am however more than a little angry over watching watershed after watershed ruined by the illegal introduction of invasive bass into my home waters by irresponsible morons to the detrimant of native brook trout and atlantic salmon populations.

I'll asume I am grndr?
That's ok bud,you just keep telling yerself that.Aside from the fact that I've caught hundreds(a couple thousand?) of bass in both Ontario and NB,I've also made it a point to know my enemy quite well and am actively involved in efforts to eradicate bass from my home salmon/trout waters as well as educating and encouraging others to do the same.I'm afraid it's you and the ignorant fool bucket biologists like you that "don't know a damn thing about bass".Why dontcha take a few minutes on Google to educate yourself on the very real threat posed to native salmonids in NB and NS by invasive,illegal smallmouth introductions before you go running your mouth off.It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
If you check again bass has increased the tourism in NS and has brought the bass tournaments also to increase the slumping economy
But that aside if you notice we are talking west not east and there is no chance of invasive illegal introduction here if you know your enemy as you say you do you should know that........
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you check again bass has increased the tourism in NS and has brought the bass tournaments also to increase the slumping economy

bwaaaaahahahaa....like I said,better to remain silent then to open yer mouth and remove all doubt. You don't have a clue what yer talking about pal. Do you honestly beleive that a handful of local tournament,Bill Dance wannabe bazzholes in NS and NB have ANY impact on the economy whatsoever,aside from filling up their collective 3 dozen gas guzzling bass boats at the local gas station,or that bass fishing even comes close to comparing to the tourism dollars brought into the region by atlantic salmon anglers that come from all over the world to fish for the king of freshwater sportfish?The ONLY thing these bucket brigade bazzholes are accomplishing is destroying fragile salmon and trout stocks and a multi-million dollar tourism industry one watershed at a time with their ILLEGAL introductions of junkfish.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

bwaaaaahahahaa....like I said,better to remain silent then to open yer mouth and remove all doubt. You don't have a clue what yer talking about pal. Do you honestly beleive that a handful of local tournament,Bill Dance wannabe bazzholes in NS and NB have ANY impact on the economy whatsoever,aside from filling up their collective 3 dozen gas guzzling bass boats at the local gas station,or that bass fishing even comes close to comparing to the tourism dollars brought into the region by atlantic salmon anglers that come from all over the world to fish for the king of freshwater sportfish?The ONLY thing these bucket brigade bazzholes are accomplishing is destroying fragile salmon and trout stocks and a multi-million dollar tourism industry one watershed at a time with their ILLEGAL introductions of junkfish.
It is amazing how when some one has nothing intelligent to say the begin to bad mouth and slander other people with inflammatory names to show their intelligence and what happens.......Well you should know you mentioned it your self so I will be nice and not!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
It is amazing how when some one has nothing intelligent to say the begin to bad mouth and slander other people with inflammatory names to show their intelligence and what happens.......Well you should know you mentioned it your self so I will be nice and not!!!!
call him Donny and Marie

i laughed so hard when you called Dace that
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
call him Donny and Marie

i laughed so hard when you called Dace that
LOL.....I think Dace secretly has everyone of their records........
Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Speaking of nothing intelligent to say,obviously you haven't a clue with regards to the serious threats posed by invasive bass on native trout and salmon stocks in the Maritimes,the millions of dollars currently being spent to control their spread,educate the public,and eradicate smallmouth from the premier Atlantic Salmon river in North America,nor anything about tourism and the economies of NB and NS.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Speaking of nothing intelligent to say,obviously you haven't a clue with regards to the serious threats posed by invasive bass on native trout and salmon stocks in the Maritimes,the millions of dollars currently being spent to control their spread,educate the public,and eradicate smallmouth from the premier Atlantic Salmon river in North America,nor anything about tourism and the economies of NB and NS.
I'm sorry about your problem if it worry's you that much I suggest you go home and try and solve it is all I can say caaaaause if you go waaaaay back you will read the words ALBERTA BASS!!!!!! good bye and thank you for calling...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 PM

Time for a break and a sing along
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfXznngjGw
Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Time for a break and a sing along
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfXznngjGw
Man that paper rosie aways brings a tear to my eye
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry about your problem if it worry's you that much I suggest you go home and try and solve it is all I can say caaaaause if you go waaaaay back you will read the words ALBERTA BASS!!!!!! good bye and thank you for calling...
Pffft....is that the best you can come up with?Yes the subject is Alberta bass,and hopefully this topic will help serve to educate Albertans as to what a BAD idea it is to even think about introducing bass to this province.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=grinr;896992]Pffft....

Darter can he fart like that on this forum.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=horsetrader;897004]
Quote:
Pffft....

Darter can he fart like that on this forum.
I'd be scared to alert a mod to this thread...lol
Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=chubbdarter;897014]
Quote:

I'd be scared to alert a mod to this thread...lol
I hear that....LOL
Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
First, half the fish in Alberta aren't native to the province so the fact that the bass aren't shouldn't be a problem. .

From the Royal Alberta Museum;

"Alberta has 51 native species of fish and 8 introduced species"

From SRD;

"There are approximately 65 species of fish swimming in Alberta waters. Of these:

* 54 of these species have established populations in the province, and include a mix of both native and introduced fish.
* 11 species have all been introduced to the province, either through legal stocking or through illegal or accidental release. These fish are present in limited numbers in Alberta."

No matter which set of figures one chooses to believe, if either, it is clear that introduced species are no where near half the number of native species.

Of interest, several of the introduced species have contributed to the loss of native species in the waters they presently occupy.

I should also note that several of the introduced species came from the pet trade and are most often considered to be minnows. In other words, they are very small fish species.

The only larger fish species introduced, that I could discover, were; Brown Trout, Golden Trout, Small Mouth Bass, (unsuccessful to date)and Grass Carp.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
From the Royal Alberta Museum;

"Alberta has 51 native species of fish and 8 introduced species"

From SRD;

"There are approximately 65 species of fish swimming in Alberta waters. Of these:

* 54 of these species have established populations in the province, and include a mix of both native and introduced fish.
* 11 species have all been introduced to the province, either through legal stocking or through illegal or accidental release. These fish are present in limited numbers in Alberta."

No matter which set of figures one chooses to believe, if either, it is clear that introduced species are no where near half the number of native species.

Of interest, several of the introduced species have contributed to the loss of native species in the waters they presently occupy.

I should also note that several of the introduced species came from the pet trade and are most often considered to be minnows. In other words, they are very small fish species.

The only larger fish species introduced, that I could discover, were; Brown Trout, Golden Trout, Small Mouth Bass, (unsuccessful to date)and Grass Carp.
Did you also notice that 12 of the native species are cubs ,minnows and shinners and never grow over 15 cm
Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Did you also notice that 12 of the native species are cubs ,minnows and shinners and never grow over 15 cm
Yes I did. There are also the so called "Trash" species. Never-the-less. Clearly most of our sport fish species are in fact native to Alberta.

Of the sport fish species, only Brown Trout and Golden Trout are not native. And Golden Trout are so rare as to be not worth considering with the other Sport fish.

It would not be unreasonable to say that only one of the sporting species is an introduced species.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Yes I did. There are also the so called "Trash" species. Never-the-less. Clearly most of our sport fish species are in fact native to Alberta.

Of the sport fish species, only Brown Trout and Golden Trout are not native. And Golden Trout are so rare as to be not worth considering with the other Sport fish.

It would not be unreasonable to say that only one of the sporting species is an introduced species.
n Alberta we can find 62 species of fish from which about 41 species are very little known while the other 21 species of fish are called sport or game fish, and are of interest commercial and domestic fishers as well as to anglers. 16 of these appreciated fish species are native to Alberta and 5 were introduced to this area through stocking.

Brook trout, golden trout, brown trout, Dolly Varden and smallmouth bass are the five species of game fish that have been introduced to Alberta. On the other hand, there are some fish species (non-game) that were illegally introduced and that developed self sustain populations, including:
Closed Thread