Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Default Student/Educational Website

Hey everyone! I'm Renee, and I'm new to the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum. Wanted to introduce myself and my new fishing website I'm building for school/educational purposes. Would love if you would check it out and provide some feedback! Thanks in advance!

Canadian Pike Fishing
Old 09-28-2016, 07:16 PM

Looks like a winner, good luck with it!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-29-2016, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Didn't know what to think before I clicked on the link, but wow, I'm impressed. If I was looking for a web designer currently, I'd hire you based on that website alone, very clean design and it shows an attention to detail which is rare.

First off, content: Authored well and you have a talent for photography, very professional, most use stock photography, judging by the copyrights, those photos are yours, those are some awesome pike photos with some novel approaches to the photography. The Pike Mouth and Pike Tail are great photos in particular.

Next html. Either you're using a good quality package, but I suspect you hand wrote that, or used a close to raw html editor and did it semi-manually, as most packages add a ton of junk, and it looks clean. It's rare to see well authored, optimized html and css these days. It's also rare to see someone taking the time to fill in the "alt" tags on images so that the blind can read it. Page is very fast to load due to your clean design and resizing of images rather than using height/width in the html. Code layout is very clean and indented well.

For kicks I ran index.htm through the html validator at w3.org. It found 2 issues, one was "lang=en" (a non issue really), and the other was a stray "script" tag.

I thought, ah ha, I've found an open "script" tag. Looked at your code to locate it and it turned out the validator is wrong and the google analytics code you put in was mistakenly flagged by the validator due to it having "script" in between the opening and closing script tags, i.e. no error.

Also did some quick browser compatibility tests and screen sizes, again, nice work, no issues, because you've kept the html clean and simple, it resizes gracefully due to you fixing the content size within a resizable background. It will also display correctly for people who have smaller screens.

I've seen final year Comp-Sci B.Sc students and pro website developers not write anywhere near as good as yours. If I was marking you based on the content and code quality, that would be an A+ on both counts.
math is hard
site looks great!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-17-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Didn't know what to think before I clicked on the link, but wow, I'm impressed. If I was looking for a web designer currently, I'd hire you based on that website alone, very clean design and it shows an attention to detail which is rare.

First off, content: Authored well and you have a talent for photography, very professional, most use stock photography, judging by the copyrights, those photos are yours, those are some awesome pike photos with some novel approaches to the photography. The Pike Mouth and Pike Tail are great photos in particular.

Next html. Either you're using a good quality package, but I suspect you hand wrote that, or used a close to raw html editor and did it semi-manually, as most packages add a ton of junk, and it looks clean. It's rare to see well authored, optimized html and css these days. It's also rare to see someone taking the time to fill in the "alt" tags on images so that the blind can read it. Page is very fast to load due to your clean design and resizing of images rather than using height/width in the html. Code layout is very clean and indented well.

For kicks I ran index.htm through the html validator at w3.org. It found 2 issues, one was "lang=en" (a non issue really), and the other was a stray "script" tag.

I thought, ah ha, I've found an open "script" tag. Looked at your code to locate it and it turned out the validator is wrong and the google analytics code you put in was mistakenly flagged by the validator due to it having "script" in between the opening and closing script tags, i.e. no error.

Also did some quick browser compatibility tests and screen sizes, again, nice work, no issues, because you've kept the html clean and simple, it resizes gracefully due to you fixing the content size within a resizable background. It will also display correctly for people who have smaller screens.

I've seen final year Comp-Sci B.Sc students and pro website developers not write anywhere near as good as yours. If I was marking you based on the content and code quality, that would be an A+ on both counts.
Wow, thank you so much for taking time to take a look and do all that! I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:12 PM

looks good. only thing I see is on the hotspots section you have perch being in the north Saskatchewan river, that is false but other then that great site