Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2016, 08:09 PM

Default Anyone take a special needs children fishing

So my 5 year old son has autism but is high functioning. He found a Robert munch book about ice fishing I bought him when he was born and has non stop being asking to go catch a fish. Today was his birthday and of course I bought him an Ironman fishing rod (he's a huge fan). Just wondering if anyone has experience with taking a special needs children fishing and what might have worked and not worked for you. Feel free to pm me if you would rather keep it private. I have a loose plan of what I'm going to do with him and kinda expect it to be 5 minutes of fishing and an hour of throwing rocks in the water. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 PM

Default Kids fishing

All kids are special needs when it comes to fishing the first few times. Have a back up plan, bring good clothes so he isn't freezing, bring snacks.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:46 PM

Kids love catching fish.
They don't always have enough attention span for fishing though.
Bring a toboggan. Make lots of holes for him to scoop ice out of. And all kids love hot chocolate.
Man, now I'm getting excited for ice fishing season.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:02 AM

My 6 year old son is also a high-functioning autistic. Though we don't ice fish, I've brought him fishing in the summer with me now for 3 years running. If he's not catching fish every few minutes, he gets bored. So I bring alot of snacks, and I bring some electronics to help keep him entertained.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
So my 5 year old son has autism but is high functioning. He found a Robert munch book about ice fishing I bought him when he was born and has non stop being asking to go catch a fish. Today was his birthday and of course I bought him an Ironman fishing rod (he's a huge fan). Just wondering if anyone has experience with taking a special needs children fishing and what might have worked and not worked for you. Feel free to pm me if you would rather keep it private. I have a loose plan of what I'm going to do with him and kinda expect it to be 5 minutes of fishing and an hour of throwing rocks in the water. Thanks guys.

Stunted perch lakes. Catch a ton of fish. Since you're in Edmonton, Vegreville trout pond (south of 16 not in town), nakamun, are decent bets. It's all about the kids, don't worry about fishing for yourself.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
Stunted perch lakes. Catch a ton of fish. Since you're in Edmonton, Vegreville trout pond (south of 16 not in town), nakamun, are decent bets. It's all about the kids, don't worry about fishing for yourself.
Ya way ahead of you on that. Gonna bring my rod but doubt I'll bust it out

Old 10-21-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Ya way ahead of you on that. Gonna bring my rod but doubt I'll bust it out

Bring your rod and hand it off if you get a fish on. Might as well double your chances. If fishing for trout set out one with bait under a bobber and cast a spinner on the other one. The casting may keep him entertained longer. We did this for my buddy's 6 year old at the lake in my community and got him onto 4 rainbows in an hour...then he got bored...
Old 10-21-2016, 01:48 PM

So ya this happened. My son is out fishing me 4 to 0 and I couldn't be happier

Old 10-21-2016, 02:22 PM

Default PM

PM sent
Old 10-21-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Congrats! Love the hat he is wearing too!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:11 PM

The smile says it all!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:45 PM

When it comes time for ice fishing take him to mink lake just west of Edmonton. Tons of little perch and will keep him busy all day! Just a small wire worm and a maggot does the trick.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Awesome man. The smile on his face says it all. Those are memories that you'll cherish forever. He's winning 4-0 with an Ironman fishing rod eh? Might have to go pick me up one of those.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie66 View Post
Awesome man. The smile on his face says it all. Those are memories that you'll cherish forever. He's winning 4-0 with an Ironman fishing rod eh? Might have to go pick me up one of those.
Ya it put my Fenwick to shame that's for sure. He had way more bites but only managed to get 4 to shore.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:09 AM

Default An idea

Hi Brohymn,

I was thinking about what might work well for your son ... while I am not really educated on autism I thought I would reply and give you an idea.

I suspect that with autism there may be a reduction in an already reduced attentions span of 5 year olds - or maybe I am wrong ... not sure.

What about heading out on the ice on a reasonably nice day without an ice tent and use pop ups. I get excited looking around and then seeing the orange flag pop ... running toward it with curiousity as to what is under the ice get's me going - who knows maybe your son would have fun "watching" for the flag. He could read/play on his electronics/slide on the ice but every once and a while look up and then shazam - there is an orange flag up and he goes to investigate and pull the fish up.

Perhaps this would be more "continuingly" engaging versus sitting in a dark tent looking down a hole.

Anyway, just a thought.

Northern.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorthernhunter View Post
Hi Brohymn,

I was thinking about what might work well for your son ... while I am not really educated on autism I thought I would reply and give you an idea.

I suspect that with autism there may be a reduction in an already reduced attentions span of 5 year olds - or maybe I am wrong ... not sure.

What about heading out on the ice on a reasonably nice day without an ice tent and use pop ups. I get excited looking around and then seeing the orange flag pop ... running toward it with curiousity as to what is under the ice get's me going - who knows maybe your son would have fun "watching" for the flag. He could read/play on his electronics/slide on the ice but every once and a while look up and then shazam - there is an orange flag up and he goes to investigate and pull the fish up.

Perhaps this would be more "continuingly" engaging versus sitting in a dark tent looking down a hole.

Anyway, just a thought.

Northern.
Thanks northern

Old 10-22-2016, 11:31 AM

Default yyup

love the smile, and the toque
Old 10-22-2016, 12:04 PM

This is the sort of thread that makes AO great! My youngest sister is a special girl who loves fishing and camping, she's in her thirties now and there's no real secrets to it, fishings easy to enjoy- you've just got to be willing to put yourself aside and help them a little more. Focus on the fun and everyone goes home happy, embrace the chance to try new ideas and don't get bent out of shape when some don't work.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:41 PM

I have taken special needs kids and adults fishing for over 20 years. It is truly rewarding and you get so much more out of it than you put into it. I have also taken adults with brain injuries fishing. I think they were more challenging than the special needs kids. But still a fun day. You have it right about having the focus be 100% on them.

That smile says it all. Great pics, and he out-fished dad with his new Ironman rod? it doesn't get any better than that. Looks like you have the right attitude and the patients to make it a fun day out. I don't think you need any advice. Your doing quite well as it is. Keep up the great work.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:44 PM

Our scout troop has some kids with special needs and we've taken them icefishing before. We set a few tip ups around and then give them a rod to jig. If the fishing is slow we have a back up activity that any kids can participate in if they get bored. We've used balsa wood gliders, cleared a patch of ice for milk jug curling and start a fire on the ice with marshmallows and hot dogs for them to roast. We also bring a hand auger, kids love trying to drill with one of those. We find that by having a variety of activities going on the kids can pick and choose and go back and forth from fishing so they don't get frustrated or bored.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:39 PM

Beauty day Leems!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:

By far the best thread I have read on AO this year. Simply awesome !!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:47 PM

Thanks guys I'm still super pumped. My son has come a long way and when he was diagnosed a year and a half ago there was no way I thought I would ever see him.land his first fish let alone completely outfished me his first time out.