Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2016, 02:53 PM

Default Filleting knives and sharpeners

So what all have you guys got for filleting knives and how do you go about keeping them sharp? Just got done cleaning up a couple whites and I definitely am in the market for a new knife lol.

Carter
Old 02-14-2016, 03:23 PM

I use a work sharp and my knives are shaving sharp.I use a filleting knife everyday and a dull knife has no place here. I use Leech lake knives,they are a very good knife that is custom made in the usa,they hold a wonderful edge.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:59 PM

Rapala Birch handled 9" blade is my favorite filleting knife of all time.
I've got a custom made lightfoot that sits in a drawer, it's terrible. A beautiful Browning that's to stiff to debone pike but works wonderfully for breasting geese and ducks.

as for sharpening, I use a block stone to get the original edge and good steel to refine it as I go. I like my knives razor sharp, especially if I'm deboning pike.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:19 PM

Smile

I use Rapala soft grip fillet knife and it is good. I do sharpen before every use. Got from Canadian tire 2 years ago and still good
Old 02-14-2016, 04:34 PM

Default Fillet knives

Carter, depending on the size of fish you are cleaning a good 6" fillet knife would be all you need for medium size fish. My go to knife is a 6" Normark and does the job for filleting, deboning and skinning pike or lake trout up 10lbs. Choosing the right fillet knife is like trying to figure out which lure to use on any given day. I have 5 different knives that I can use, depending on the task at hand. Find one that fits your hand comfortably. There are many to choose from and spend the most you can afford😳 For sharpening, practise with a stone(water or oil) you will be impressed on how easy it is to master, another option is a quality steel, they are easier to to master and are quick. You have many options as to what will work for knives and sharpening tools. Just keep asking questions and do a little research and you will be good at both in no time😃. Oh, while you are practising keep some crazy glue or band aids handy😫.
If I am lazy I will use my work sharp also😎.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:12 PM

+2 on the Leech Lake knife. They are scary sharp on the front and back side of the blades. I make my initial cuts with the Leech and then use a 6" Rapala around the rib cage. I find I have better control with a shorter blade.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:01 PM

6 inch blade rapale/normark. A great way to keep the blade touched up is to use the bottom of a ceramic or bone china cup. As long as the bottom of the cup is not glazed.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-14-2016, 09:05 PM

X2 on the WorkSharp sharpener. I have the Ken Onion model from Cabelas and it is amazing...from hunting knives to fillet knives and anything in between. I have too many fillet knives. I like the Buba blade 7" model for most things. Still find myself using the old Shrade "uncle Henry" that I bought in the 80's...it has the right flex to it for walleye and pike.

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:11 PM

So when taking the fillets of the side of the fish, I like to cut right through the rib bones. The white I was cleaning this afternoon was a fair size (23.5", no idea on weight...) so the bones were pretty hard. My filleting knife wasn't up to the task of cutting through the ribcage. So what did I do? Went and got one of the wife's utility knives... Wasn't up to the task either. Next step was a chef's knife... That did the job, but jesus... Made one awful mess of that fish.

So, I got to thinking. Are people actually using a filleting knife (damned sharp one) to cut through the rib cage? Are they leaving it on the fish and running the filleting knife as close to the ribs as possible (I usually leave a lot of meat when I try that) or do you pull out a something a little more robust to get through the ribs?

I've also learned something today. I don't have a SHARP sharp knife in this house...

Thanks,

Carter
Old 02-15-2016, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
So when taking the fillets of the side of the fish, I like to cut right through the rib bones. The white I was cleaning this afternoon was a fair size (23.5", no idea on weight...) so the bones were pretty hard. My filleting knife wasn't up to the task of cutting through the ribcage. So what did I do? Went and got one of the wife's utility knives... Wasn't up to the task either. Next step was a chef's knife... That did the job, but jesus... Made one awful mess of that fish.

So, I got to thinking. Are people actually using a filleting knife (damned sharp one) to cut through the rib cage? Are they leaving it on the fish and running the filleting knife as close to the ribs as possible (I usually leave a lot of meat when I try that) or do you pull out a something a little more robust to get through the ribs?

I've also learned something today. I don't have a SHARP sharp knife in this house...
Thanks, Carter

You will have to cut thru one row of mid bones before you get to the rib bones. Then leave the ribs on the carcass. Turn your blade tip into the rib bones when following the ribs to get a clean fillet. The mid line bones are removed once you have the fillet off. Use long knife strokes to avoid mangling the fish.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-15-2016, 02:47 PM

I got a cordless Rapala fillet knife for my birthday a few years back. I use this thing for getting the fillet off the fish. Works great for sawing through bones. Then I'll usually use a Grohman to finish up. Sometimes I'll just use the electric knife for the whole process though.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyemagnet View Post
I got a cordless Rapala fillet knife for my birthday a few years back. I use this thing for getting the fillet off the fish. Works great for sawing through bones. Then I'll usually use a Grohman to finish up. Sometimes I'll just use the electric knife for the whole process though.
X2 on this. My brother in law got one for slabbing fish whIle ice fishing. He brings them home to finish them up with a cutco. Great knife but Its a big cost and not enough flex for me.

Yeah sharp is the most important thing when it comes to any knife.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Carter
I think the main point is - it`s better to have a smaller sharp knife versus a big dull one - this is also true of cutting through the bones. If a knoe is sharp enough this should be pretty easy.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 AM
AO Sponsor

Heres a guy with a real fish. A very feeble old man, makes you wonder how he got these fish in? He gets it all done with a very heavy knife, undoubtably very sharp tho. Doesn't show him taking the rib bones out on the video, but that's what your little fillet knife is for. Fillet knifes aren't suited for going thru the ribs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NpHg3ZQZS0g

Ya, kinda big, but the concept applies.

This could be a useful knife too, especially for butterflying fish top down. We sell them to people for clean skinning beaver but it is called the Dexter Fish Knife. I think it would be real good for taking the rib bones off the fillet after.

The criteria for a successful knife is to be able to keep the thing very sharp at all times. I use a plain old electric wet wheel from Canadian Tire, it's slow but makes knives perfect.

Different knives for different jobs.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 AM

Rapella electric to side. Cutco to finish. Definitely a work sharp to keep the edge.
Sharp knife is a safe knife
Food for thought
Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 AM

Rapala cordless for slabbing, Normark for bones. I also have a Buck, but I find the blade to soft, I prefer the stiffer Normark. Bought the Canadian tire Rapalas with the rubber handles for the kids, they work pretty good, especially at the sale prices the charge. I find a stone works nice for sharpening, then a steel.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

Carter
On bigger fish I cut along the the rib cage now. Cutting threw those bones is too hard on the knife and your self. I find doing this , i get more meat too. Don't rush and the job gets done. Espeacialy big Walleye. Some of them you could almost use a saw to get threw those bones. My go too knife is a 4" rapala for cutting around the ribs and deboneing, 6" Rap for skinning.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
6 inch blade rapale/normark. A great way to keep the blade touched up is to use the bottom of a ceramic or bone china cup. As long as the bottom of the cup is not glazed.
works well, i have been using the back side of a flat clay wall tile, and then a few strokes on a leather strop.

once you get your blade sharp, you usually just need to use a few strokes on a strop before you start cutting.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
works well, i have been using the back side of a flat clay wall tile, and then a few strokes on a leather strop.

once you get your blade sharp, you usually just need to use a few strokes on a strop before you start cutting.
I use a smooth polished steel instead of a strop but they both do the same thing really.

For getting them sharp I have a couple of large stones from Lee Valley. I believe one is a 1000 grit and the other 4000 or 6000 grit. I lay a 2X4 across the sink put a piece of paper towel on it and wet it, that way the stone does not move. Run small trickle of water and sharpen away. Finish with the smooth steel.

Last edited by cube; 10-17-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 AM

Belt Sander?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptspof6CXOg

seems plausible - not sure about the "fine tuning" you want for a super sharp knife - but it seems to make sense.

Anyone tried it?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM

Default Filleting knives and sharpeners

When I have lots like 5 whites from yesterday, all done on the corded rapala electric. Once you get the feel of cleaning fish you can speed right up with an electric. Takes some practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM

I have a ten inch Buck filet knife. It was the best knife I ever owned for about a year or two. Can't seem to get it back to its original glory, despite having it professionally sharpened several times.

I really like the look of the North Arm knives. Might have to try one out some day.
https://northarmknives.com/product/k...-fillet-knife/
Old 10-18-2016, 09:00 AM

Pretty much the best sharpener you can buy:

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/45160/...tool-sharpener
Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 AM

The Cutco filleting knife is top notch
Old 10-18-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Belt Sander?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptspof6CXOg

seems plausible - not sure about the "fine tuning" you want for a super sharp knife - but it seems to make sense.

Anyone tried it?
One has to be very careful when using belt sanders for sharpening small thin knives. The edge can heat up and lose temper if you are not extremely careful. Axe heads have a large thermal sink and broader edge so are much more forgiving by sharping this way.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
I have a ten inch Buck filet knife. It was the best knife I ever owned for about a year or two. Can't seem to get it back to its original glory, despite having it professionally sharpened several times.

I really like the look of the North Arm knives. Might have to try one out some day.
https://northarmknives.com/product/k...-fillet-knife/
I got a kermode for Christmas last year. It's a beautiful well made knife but to tell you the truth I haven't warmed up to it yet....
I find it a little long but it's probably something I need to get used too.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
One has to be very careful when using belt sanders for sharpening small thin knives. The edge can heat up and lose temper if you are not extremely careful. Axe heads have a large thermal sink and broader edge so are much more forgiving by sharping this way.
Good comment - makes sense. Just looks so fast and easy.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:35 AM

Default Sharpening knives

I agree with cube ,a sander can ruin a knife quickly,I always use an electric wet stone to sharpen my tools then finish with a steel or strope .
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:43 PM

Default Fillet Knife

I have used several fillet knives and I have found one that I use the most over my others...its the Cutco fillet knife.

Great knife. Holds edge, can be lengthened or shortened pending on size of fish.
Check out the link http://https://www.cutco.ca/products...jz0m155orcqt3s
Old 10-19-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjplouffe View Post
I have used several fillet knives and I have found one that I use the most over my others...its the Cutco fillet knife.

Great knife. Holds edge, can be lengthened or shortened pending on size of fish.
Check out the link https://www.cutco.ca/products/produc...jz0m155orcqt3s
Fixed the link for you....