Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Default Need help on how to catch suckers?

IVe been wanting to catch some suckers to smoke,the old guys say they are delicious,any one got any information on such things,Like how t catch them what to use etc.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:21 AM

worms on a P rig or sliding sinker rig with hooks on or close to bottom should work.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Gone Hunting

Easy enough to catch as Cube posted.

They are boney, so I wouldn't try boning them, but smoke them and then can them with a little tomato juice and Franks Red hot.. The bones will be pretty much gone or soft.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 AM

Default Sucker fishing

well I'm not much of an ice fisherman,I usually stick to Fly fishing and have caught Brookies and some white fish through the ice.so what is a p-rig,can I google it.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
well I'm not much of an ice fisherman,I usually stick to Fly fishing and have caught Brookies and some white fish through the ice.so what is a p-rig,can I google it.
P-rig is a pickerel rig. I'd recommend using a slip sinker rig. Two barrel swivels, a bead, a weight, and a hook. There's a good diagram on here somewhere of one. Very simple to tie. Put a clump of worms on your hook and you'll catch piles. They fight terrifically.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:24 PM

Default RoughFish.com

Hello Fish Along - check this site out that's been up for many years. It's a small quirky group from Canada/USA that enjoy catching ALL fish, especially Non-Game or "Rough-Fish". Amazingly talented members with lots of cool pictures and articles on targeting Rough Fish @ www.roughfish.com I know some people could catch Bass or Walleye exclusively for the rest of their lives, but I'm not one. Hope you Enjoy the site!!!
Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 PM

Default Catching suckers

Thanks for your information,if anyone knows where these can be caught in abundance please let me know.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:46 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Thanks for your information,if anyone knows where these can be caught in abundance please let me know.

Any old stinky slough in the back of a packing plant should be good
Old 10-20-2016, 05:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Mention XBow to be used during archery season

Sorry for the derail...have no idea how to catch the ones you mention but good at gathering the two legged type

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-20-2016, 06:13 AM

When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a couple buddies that pickled them. They are pretty good pickled.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Mention XBow to be used during archery season

Sorry for the derail...have no idea how to catch the ones you mention but good at gathering the two legged type
Lol
Old 10-20-2016, 08:57 PM

Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by leloinjunior View Post
Hello Fish Along - check this site out that's been up for many years. It's a small quirky group from Canada/USA that enjoy catching ALL fish, especially Non-Game or "Rough-Fish". Amazingly talented members with lots of cool pictures and articles on targeting Rough Fish @ www.roughfish.com I know some people could catch Bass or Walleye exclusively for the rest of their lives, but I'm not one. Hope you Enjoy the site!!!
I checked it out,lots of great information thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 09:12 AM

I have always used a big slip weight (3 oz-5oz), 2 red beads, swivel, 4' leader, 2 red beads #1 hook, a big ball of night crawler, throw it out in the river and let it sit on the bottom in a rod holder.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:13 PM

Since Suckers are bottom feeders you will need to start with a rig that will cater to suckers. I typically use a 3-way swivel. tie 1 end to your line, another to your hook and the last ring to your sinker. This rig allows you to make long cast with worms, corn or minnows. The length between your swivel to your sinker will determine how tight it sits to the bottom of the lake. Adjust this length to fine tune your rig. You also want a a heavy enough weight so your rig does not drift in the current Hope this helps

Cheers
Henry-Legend Boats
Old 11-06-2016, 09:30 AM

I usually catch a gang of suckers at Chain Lake near Nanton. Pickerel rig and worms on the bottom.