Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM

I thought I'd post another update on the stores estimated opening, this time its less optimistic. I talked today with my friend/co-worker who is the site superintendant for the mechanical contractor building BassPro, he told me it'll be next year until they're open . The water won't be on site for quite a while yet, the parking lots or paved entrances sure won't be ready. They can't just have this one place open while the rest of the mall is still in full construction mode. I apologize for having noted it was supposed to open in late July, I took our field superintendant at his word on that one. The guy I spoke with today is far more tuned in, and I know him to take him at his word better than the field-super, as my dad and him were pals since long before I was born. One of those 'uncles' of sorts.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Your comments make sense but lets keep our fingers crossed and hope it's sooner.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:47 PM

Default From Bass Pro's website - opening 2009 now

ALBERTA (Calgary)

Hourly Opportunities ALBERTA (Calgary)
Our plans are to open the Calgary (Canada)store in 2009. We are not accepting applications for full-time or part-time hourly positions at this time.

Once we begin our recruitment, we will announce the dates and location of our job fair on this website. Please check back periodically for more information.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:21 AM

Lightbulb Google Bass Pro Calgary

Hey Folks,

I just googled BPS Calgary and there is a note on an aquarium professionals thread from BPS head office looking for an Aquarist (2 huge aquariums) for the Balzac location right away to "open in March 2009."
It won't be before Christmas but at least it'll be before ice-out. They have a Tracker boat center too. Hopefully some grand opening deals to be had.

Finally, I can stop ordering on-line. I just hope they can get the same products they do in the States. I got tired of using Berkley products (still love GULP) all the time and order other things often. I found that Yum Dingers (4 in.) and 4 in. ringworm type plastics work amazingly well for walleye and pike. Wacky style even! They get tired of seeing yellow 3 in. grubs and red devils after a while (they both work well don't get me wrong). Using things the fish haven't seen before can work wonders.

Finally, when you're down at the lake or river, pick up the discarded line and packaging other "fishermen" and "fisherwomen" leave behind. It won't pick itself up. I make sure at least one person sees me doing it so it will catch on....I hope. Preaching over.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:43 PM

I was just up at the Balzac jobsite this morning, taking a scissor-lift safety course that was being held for our outfit up there. The projected opening date is the end of March at the moment, and the blueprints told me the Bass Pro is sitting at just over 133,000 square feet.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholal View Post
I dont think it's all the personals fault at WSS. I think it's an ownership/manager issue. As I see it WSS thinks "well we have what we have, if you want it, pay top dollar and if not oh well go home. Now that they Face some real compatition there tune will change. but in truth they cant compete with B Pro.....ever!! There will be way more selection and prices may be a bit cheaper at Bass pro. To me I'll spend a day to drive there just for the variaty of items and be able to hold and feel the stuff in stead of being told "well we can have it here in a month if you want to order it now."

AL
i despise going to wss, ill even go some where else and pay more $, its an ok selection but the service is so grade 3, a monkey could do better, i mean you ask a question about a certian product and they give you some half assed answer, and if you dont like that answer they dont try and help you to find something you do like, what there saying is please we dont want your money! example, they had red dot scopes on sale, 10 different models, i got there, inquired, and gave them my price range, they had no idea what i was talking about, brought out 2.... yes 2 scopes. one was $375... i was looking at under 100 just for plinking with my 10/22, and the other was $135, but was open and the battery was dead... i inquired about a discount, and the salesman replied "i have to talk to the boss" he came back with "i can only give you 5% off"... are you kidding me that wont even cover the cost of a new battery... so much for a great sale... in the end i went to russles great price,service, and they found what i wanted... and i hope bass pro does not post for jobs at wss, go bass pro!!!

Last edited by gophinator; 12-21-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:59 AM

If you go to the link in Tuc's PAL course thread, it states that now a Summer of 2009 opening.

I would'nt be suprised if Bass Pro misses part of the 2009 hunting season before they open.

But I've been wrong in the past.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 12-22-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:09 AM

Default Early April opening

Neighbor was installing doors at the store. Word is grand opening for early April. Open (soft) prior to that I am sure.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:12 AM

oh it looks so nice..... why do they taunt us with the shiny new building, and nothing inside...
Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 AM

This is not a 'friend of a friend' post. My hockey coach- teamates boyfriend and very good friend just got back from his BPS managerial training in the Toronto bps. Soft opening in March, Grand in April is still his word, but with construction delays who really knows and he's been told that he'll be updated with changes as soon as they happen. I can't wait till they open bc we have an inside track now...haha!

Danni
Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 AM

was talking with some hunting buddies last night and we are seriously considering draging the trailer up there the night before it opens and having a tail gate party in the parking lot.
maybe even do a pig roast .
Old 12-21-2008, 01:04 PM

It's all about water boys, nothings going to open until the whole mall has water.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:07 PM

march 15
Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 AM

Default Opening Day - April 9, 2009

The manager for the Balzac Bass Pro Shop was on the news last night (Global News, 6:00) and said opening day is April 9th, 2009. He specifically stated they are opening ahead of the rest of the mall.

That's what he said at least.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:06 AM

A freind of mine has applied for a management position at Bass last week so I guess they have started to hire. I can't remember where she said the job fair will be but it will be big.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 AM

The job fair is going on this week in Airdrie (can't remember exactly where in Airdrie - call the Echo). Bass Pro put an ad in the Airdrie Echo last week saying that they are opening in April. A neighbor interviewed yesterday for a position in Camping. It went well and she was asked to come back next week for a second interview.

Sounds like it is finally happening.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Today is the last day of a 3 day job fair at the Town & Country Centre in Airdrie.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 AM

There was an article on global news last night about the whole mega mall, and hows it's only 80% sold out, and how some projects with it are delayed. The was a section on Bass Pro that they have had 300 resumes dropped off and that they are opeing April 9 th.

Dustin