Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPhunter View Post
I'm curious, if you get a positive and you're encouraged to dispose of the meat are you offered another tag? Or is it just a suck it up until next season thing?

Do moose get it or just wt and md?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
If memory serves there has been a positive moose in Alberta
Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
If memory serves there has been a positive moose in Alberta
Yes, highway 41 North of just Medicine Hat a couple years ago... Was collision with auto.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Dropped off the wife's MD buck at the Edmonton South Cabela's Dec 9. Called a couple weeks ago and was told it wasn't even processed until Jan 9.
Sigh.....the wait continues. Hopefully the turnaround is much quicker next year, the Alberta Gov't has to know that more resources will be needed each year with the prevalence of CWD increasing yearly across Alberta.....
Old 02-16-2018, 12:10 PM

Just got a call - my mule buck was positive. WMU 152. Submitted first week of December. Second year in a row.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:54 PM

We just recieved our results today. Both deer were wmd163 and tested negative. The email said (The Chronic Wasting Disease test results for the head submitted on or about 2018-01-17). We placed the heads at the Calgary Cabelas on Nov 29. Wondering where the heads went for a month and a half. Is this a normal time lag?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Dropped off the wife's MD buck at the Edmonton South Cabela's Dec 9. Called a couple weeks ago and was told it wasn't even processed until Jan 9.
Sigh.....the wait continues. Hopefully the turnaround is much quicker next year, the Alberta Gov't has to know that more resources will be needed each year with the prevalence of CWD increasing yearly across Alberta.....
If the CWD testing zones continue to grow year after year logically the number of resources performing the actual testing should increase as well. Government operated anything and logical usually don’t mix.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:44 PM

Just got my results last week....negative.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Results

3 from our family got results last week from heads that went to cabelas North the 2nd of December...... all neg.
Sst
Old 02-20-2018, 11:15 AM

Dropped mine off at Cabela's in Calgary on Dec 2. Results came in neg on Feb 15.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowayin View Post
780 427 3462, my tag is registered but another 2 to 3 weeks, meh.

I called this number twice today and left messages but haven't heard back. Still awaiting results from 2 deer Submitted December 1 in camp wainwright. I was told 6-8 weeks, and now getting close to 12. There's gatta be a better system for this. It should go by the date they were harvested. Seems like it's all over the place with some newer submissions getting in first.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 PM

On Feb 13 my Son and I got the results back from 2 mule deer shot at Camp Wainwright Dec 7 - Dec 9 season. Results came back negative, even though half the sausage is now gone.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 PM

Just got ours back 1st december
Old 02-21-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverHawk View Post
I called this number twice today and left messages but haven't heard back. Still awaiting results from 2 deer Submitted December 1 in camp wainwright. I was told 6-8 weeks, and now getting close to 12. There's gatta be a better system for this. It should go by the date they were harvested. Seems like it's all over the place with some newer submissions getting in first.
I always got a pick up when I called, I think it was in AM but I just got back my results negative.
I submitted head Dec 3 at AHEIA, results says submitted on or about Jan 17. I talked to F&W before and she said they were picking up heads once per week from drop offs.
So Jan 17 to Feb 20 is close to 4 weeks for results which ain't bad, but I would also like to know why it takes a month and half before edmonton gets them. When I dropped off my head I said to myself, Yish there's alot of heads in freezer aren't they getting picked up!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:58 AM

Default no

Still nothing.........can't eat nothing until they get their act together.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:16 AM

3 x negative - deer
1 x negative - moose
Old 02-21-2018, 01:59 PM

Default Chronic Wasting Disease

Summit on Chronic Wasting in Calgary:

Chronic Wasting Disease Emergency Summit Tickets, Fri, 23 Feb ...
https://www.eventbrite.ca › Things to do in Calgary › Seminar › Government

Feb 23, 2018 - Eventbrite - Alliance for Public Wildlife presents Chronic Wasting Disease Emergency Summit - Friday, 23 February 2018 at University of Calgary, Calgary, AB. Find event and ticket information.
Fri., Feb. 23
University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, CA
Old 02-23-2018, 07:37 PM

Some areas with high prevelance of CWD have no public testing program. Count your blessings everyone.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Feb 23 CWD update.

Today I noticed some CWD numbers from this past season posted on Let's Go Outdoors Alberta's facebook page. And I quote:

"Margo Pybus with Alberta CWD team tells delegates attending the Alberta Fish and Game Association conference the number of infected deer with CWD continues to grow. A total of 869 positive cases are now confirmed in Alberta. Most are being found in Mule Deer (754) while the number in Whitetail Deer is also on the rise with 398 cases."

The number of cases really is concerning. Not sure if the numbers add up. The presentation in the pic says 869 infected out of more than 66,000 heads tested. Anyways, the numbers are up. I find the number of positive cases concerning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10584109_1429096487213100_1092171450633762295_n.jpg (34.8 KB, 19 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 AM

Wainwright last rifle

Mule Deer doe

negative

got report yesterday

David
Old 03-01-2018, 06:20 PM

Default Results are in

I got the call back today on my 2 Camp Wainwright bucks from November 30 and December 1,2017. The first was positive and the other was negative. She asked if I was going to eat it knowing it was positive and I said no. She then instructed I must burn it, burry it, or landfill it and they will issue me new tags for this years wainwright hunt. I forgot to ask if that comes with both tags, as the wainwright hunt comes in 2's. Will they just issue me the 1 or will I receive both? They also asked if he had a lot of fat, normal fat or no fat at all. He looked perfectly normal to me. Does anyone know on the tag thing? I may need to call back tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 PM

Wondering what all this testing will do to stop spread. Every spring people pick up fawns in the CWD zones and ship them off to the medicine river rehab east of Caroline and they release them into the wild. And they wonder how it is getting spread🤔. Ask F&W officer about this and he says they have friends in high places.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:28 AM

Got my last results for my rifle 1 Camp Wainwright deer few days ago Muley buck and whitetail doe both negative. So far so good. However the rise and spread in CWD is definitely making me nervous. Now that I am living in a CWD zone I wonder if the province has any plans to deal with it or just keep watching it spread. I personally would like to see a drastic increase in mule deer harvest around here.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Got my last results for my rifle 1 Camp Wainwright deer few days ago Muley buck and whitetail doe both negative. So far so good. However the rise and spread in CWD is definitely making me nervous. Now that I am living in a CWD zone I wonder if the province has any plans to deal with it or just keep watching it spread. I personally would like to see a drastic increase in mule deer harvest around here.
What exactly would a "drastic increase" in the Mule Deer harvest accomplish?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
What exactly would a "drastic increase" in the Mule Deer harvest accomplish?
All the research I’ve read out of the states one of he biggest factors in the spread is high population density. Drop the poplulation and the spread should at least slow down. Reason I say mule deer is CWD is most prevelent in Mule deer and whitetail populations that I’ve observed here are nowhere near as high.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
All the research I’ve read out of the states one of he biggest factors in the spread is high population density. Drop the poplulation and the spread should at least slow down. Reason I say mule deer is CWD is most prevelent in Mule deer and whitetail populations that I’ve observed here are nowhere near as high.
The Mule deer cull along the border zones a few years ago didn't accomplish anything
Old 03-02-2018, 10:49 PM

Got the dreaded call this week. Wainwright rifle 1, nice fat fork horn mulie (yearling) - positive result. In the black bin he goes . Deferred the replacement tag till we go up again for moose
Old 03-03-2018, 05:57 AM

Default 2017 Mule Deer CWD Positive

I received my unfortunate call last week as my 4 year old typ 4x4 came back positive. We watched him chasing does every morning in the same spot, he had no physical looking signs of being sick. Once I got my hands on him I could tell he was quite lean, and once we dressed him out we found that he had no fat on him at all. Not on his chest or hind quarters. I feared the worst and it was just confirmed.

It’s awful what is happening to the deer populations across North America, I’ve read the impact it’s having in the states as well.

I took my replacement tag for next season as hunting mulies is become very interesting to me, through archery season as well. If I’m lucky enough to harvest an animal this coming season he will be butchered for sausage and frozen until I hear my results. I processed my deer from 2017 and vac sealed everything, steaks, roasts, etc. Big learning curve, hard work time and money down the drain.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Just got my results back from wainwright rifle one. Three months is a long wait... Both were mature Mule bucks and rutted hard with little fat reserve but both came back negative. It was my first time in the base and was a great hunt! I am however getting scepticle of doing hunts in any of the eastern zones now due to the spread of cwd and the wait times for testing results??? It’s going to be Sad to see what the future holds regarding cwd which is a growing issue each year.