Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Banned

Default Contracts with the NRA being severed.

Is social media creating havoc for the NRA? Some massive companies severing ties with them. Should be interesting to see where this goes with the political party connections.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle38088393/

https://thinkprogress.org/delta-seve...-46cf6401d175/

Old 02-24-2018, 10:33 AM

What a lame about-face, by fair weather Johnsons. It wasn't the NRA that armed the kid. He had no prior records, and would have been able to buy a gun regardless of whether there is or isn't background checks.

I don't see what has changed about anything to do with ownership, crime, or support of gun owners by the NRA that warrants all the distance that some companies are putting between them.

I don't see an easy solution for such a random problem. The media makes it look like these things happen every day; but in a decade we will still be rehashing this one as if it was yesterday.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Is social media creating havoc for the NRA? Some massive companies severing ties with them. Should be interesting to see where this goes with the political party connections.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle38088393/

https://thinkprogress.org/delta-seve...-46cf6401d175/

It was just a matter of time, and I'm sure more will follow.

Sadly, the NRA is stuck back in the 1800's.

Selkirk
Old 02-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

Selkirk
What do you mean by stuck in the 1800s?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:42 AM

Is there any doubt America is a corporatocracy? And one that is easily swayed, to boot? The lone individual will need to ante up more dollars for their gun freedoms to survive.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM

I doubt if NRA members or non members buy into membership so they can get discounts at these places. What does it amount to? Maybe something significant? Don't think so...
Old 02-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
The mindset and firearms technology, back in the years 1800 to 1899.

Nuff said.

Selkirk
Old 02-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Well, the NRA was founded in 1871... for a reason much different than what it represents now.

http://time.com/4106381/nra-1871-history/

Here is the NRA mission statement now:

The NRA’s mission statement, summarized from its bylaws, is: "To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, especially with reference to the inalienable right of the individual American citizen guaranteed by such Constitution to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms."

Read Full Article Here NRA vs. National Association for Gun Rights: How Do They Differ? | Newsmax.com

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 02-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

Nuff said.

Selkirk
No, you have not said enough.

Are you opposed to the NRA catering to the desires of its members? The NRA believes in the second amendment which is as relevant today as it ever was. Do you have a problem with that?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:

No, you have not said enough ...

Actually, yes I have!

If you want to continue to chew on that old worn-out piece of gristle, your going to have to do it with someone else.

And if you have a problem with that, you can take it up with the Mods.

Once again ... Nuff Said

Selkirk
Old 02-24-2018, 11:55 AM

More then just the media.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/p...asp?grpid=7121
Old 02-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Nuff said.

Selkirk
The second amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Though there no longer regulated militias the amendment was written with the intent that should the American Government itself attempt to destroy peoples freedoms they would fall. In that context the people should actually be better armed then the government.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
The second amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Though there no longer regulated militias the amendment was written with the intent that should the American Government itself attempt to destroy peoples freedoms they would fall. In that context the people should actually be better armed then the government.
Exactly.!!

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-24-2018, 01:04 PM

The oh so righteous Canadian never fails to amaze!
Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Banned

Problem with the NRA is the total whack jobs within the group. Theyve got a major pr problem thanks to their hardcore nut jobs.

Surprisingly shooting 500 people in vegas or 20 grade 1 kids didnt change public perception like the shooting has in florida.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
The second amendment:

Yes!! I just don't understand how people can't comprehend this.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Selkirk

Actually they're stuck in the late 1700's. 1788 and 1791 to be exact.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
The second amendment:

That last line is the scary one. Not that it matters much for all the pretend soldier boys in the militia groups spread across the U.S. They'd cease to exist in 48 hours if the government got serious.

"Ya...we're rising up." Bang. Ok we're not. Waco. Bundy. Finnicum.

"We've got guns. We're powerful." Uh huh. Would change very quickly to "We're average Joe's with rifles. Not trained military with tanks and missles. Run."
Old 02-24-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
That last line is the scary one. Not that it matters much for all the pretend soldier boys in the militia groups spread across the U.S. They'd cease to exist in 48 hours if the government got serious.

"Ya...we're rising up." Bang. Ok we're not. Waco. Bundy. Finnicum.

"We've got guns. We're powerful." Uh huh. Would change very quickly to "We're average Joe's with rifles. Not trained military with tanks and missles. Run."
Oh, it is scary. But at the Bundy stand off the BLM were pretty evenly matched, probablyeven out gunned. Take into account how well the other side knows the land are probably ex military they had a choice. Lose the fight, Deploy the us military against its own citizens or take them to courr. They chose option 3 and just last month lost with prejudice. For the record I think Bundy is bats*** crazy who is just manipulating the system and people to line his pockets. But people will he did manage to make the government blink.

As forcthe NRA, they will learn an adapt from this. Out of all of those companies, the only one that people may take notice is the insurance one. But another insurance company will be a long shorrly.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Problem with the NRA is the total whack jobs within the group. Theyve got a major pr problem thanks to their hardcore nut jobs.

Surprisingly shooting 500 people in vegas or 20 grade 1 kids didnt change public perception like the shooting has in florida.
Umm actually none of these nuts doing the shootings have been NRA memebers, are you suggesting people are hardcore nuts for supporting there second amendment rights? I think your preconceived notions are clouding where to place blame.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Umm actually none of these nuts doing the shootings have been NRA memebers, are you suggesting people are hardcore nuts for supporting there second amendment rights? I think your preconceived notions are clouding where to place blame.
Im suggesting a bit of sensitivity to the shootings would go a long way. Instead we here their non sense on guns dont kill people blah blah blah.....

Their pr problem at the moment is only happening because of their ridiculous statements members keep making in the defense of their second ammendment.

You can defend your rights without being a total whack job.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Banned

I think this is actually laughable.
What do these companies expect to achieve?
None of them are monetary supporters of the NRA...they give (gave??) discounts to NRA members.
As someone pointed out, I doubt if there is one NRA member who joined the NRA to get the discount at Avis.
But I can guarantee that there are lot of NRA members that will no longer give their business to Avis.
What's the saying...stupid is as stupid does.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Im suggesting a bit of sensitivity to the shootings would go a long way. Instead we here their non sense on guns dont kill people blah blah blah.....

Their pr problem at the moment is only happening because of their ridiculous statements members keep making in the defense of their second ammendment.

You can defend your rights without being a total whack job.
But apparently they can't.

The NRA has evolved into it's own worst enemy.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Oh, it is scary. But at the Bundy stand off the BLM were pretty evenly matched, probablyeven out gunned. Take into account how well the other side knows the land are probably ex military they had a choice. Lose the fight, Deploy the us military against its own citizens or take them to courr. They chose option 3 and just last month lost with prejudice. For the record I think Bundy is bats*** crazy who is just manipulating the system and people to line his pockets. But people will he did manage to make the government blink.

As forcthe NRA, they will learn an adapt from this. Out of all of those companies, the only one that people may take notice is the insurance one. But another insurance company will be a long shorrly.

They might have lost the initial fight. It's the what might have come next that wouldn't have been pretty. Good on the government for not forcing a full scale confrontation and wiping out a bunch of hard line cowboys over some cattle, but they also could have just sat and waited for troops, starved them out, etc. ATF and BLM agents are a long ways from the military as well. A couple of F-16 flyovers and there wouldn't be a cowpoke in sight.

Bundy's were there for the Finicum shooting as well so they sure weren't all innocent by a long stretch.

As I see it the NRA just has to quit being so paranoid. Nobody's threatening to take hunting rifles and shotguns away. Give some and win some or risk losing more when the anti numbers grow. 5,000,000 vs the rest of the country? Polls are showing now that 65% of Americans think the rules need to be rewritten and every time another mass murder occurs it'll grow.

I don't see a big problem with AR's restricted to 21 and over. I also think the gun show purchases to avoid background checks needs to end along with Trump's stupid rescinding of the mental health/firearms purchase bill. None of those screams "No more hunting - No more guns" that I can see.

Last edited by 270person; 02-24-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I think this is actually laughable.
What do these companies expect to achieve?

Public perception and support? It's called marketing and not being willing to PO the vast majority of Americans that think gun laws need to be rewritten.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:31 PM
Banned

i think it will be a wash as there are many online sayimg theyll support the company for dropping the nra.

It is public perception that wont affect either of the parties.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
1800's people got **** done
Old 02-24-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Public perception and support? It's called marketing and not being willing to PO the vast majority of Americans that think gun laws need to be rewritten.
According to CNN? Ever been down there?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:02 PM

The Liberals have been looking for an excuse to restrict or prohibit the ruger mini-xx series, sks and a few other ‘assault rifles’ in Canada.
Wonder if this will be it??
Old 02-24-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Selkirk
Yeah, we should all give up.
Oh, I forgot most of us Canadians already have.
Gotta get with the times and get ready to turn ‘em in.