Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:54 PM

Default Alleged thief shot on Okotoks property

Just read this, anybody else see it? Is it new news or did Apple spam my feed with old news? Homeowner in custody.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...pect-1.4551008

Guess it is new.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 PM

Default Found the story

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...pect-1.4551008

Last edited by Rustynail21; 02-24-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Beat me to it
Old 02-24-2018, 11:21 PM

I would prefer if the RCMP simply noted that judicious marksmanship is appreciated!

If they're up at 5:30 and are rifling through other peoples vehicles then that's their primary means of support, most likely for their drug habits. If they've been caught and released more than 4 times for the same crime then they ought not to be doing that and reminders such as this set great precedent. Thieves should start to expect things such as this, or at the very least Louisville Slugger welcoming committee's.

The courts have fallen flat on their faces with the current catch & release program for recidivists, how do they really expect the public to react when they're not fulfilling their duties? The sad irony is that they'll come down harder on decent people defending themselves than they ever have on the actual criminals.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-24-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:29 PM
Banned

"Police are cautioning property owners to call them rather than "pursue or engage with suspicious individuals."

pretty much means "You're not allowed to defend yourself! Take the pounding until we take our sweet time there! (if we ever get there)"

Old 02-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Banned

You have got to be kidding me.

The police have prioritized charging people defending their property over actual criminals.

How has it come to this?

Is there a GoFundMe? There should be.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:23 AM
Banned

Good. If a property owner is going to ignore our laws they deserve to be charged... lets see how this plays out. Whos starting the go fund me?? Or is that only for specific cases.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post

The police have prioritized charging people defending their property over actual criminals.

How has it come to this?

Im sorry but do you not know the laws we all abide by with our guns?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Good. If a property owner is going to ignore our laws they deserve to be charged... lets see how this plays out. Whos starting the go fund me?? Or is that only for specific cases.
Ignore this trolls comments he sides with criminals and anti gun boneheads for attention only, nothing more. IGNORE HIM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I would prefer if the RCMP simply noted that judicious marksmanship is appreciated!

If they're up at 5:30 and are rifling through other peoples vehicles then that's their primary means of support, most likely for their drug habits. If they've been caught and released more than 4 times for the same crime then they ought not to be doing that and reminders such as this set great precedent. Thieves should start to expect things such as this, or at the very least Louisville Slugger welcoming committee's.

The courts have fallen flat on their faces with the current catch & release program for recidivists, how do they really expect the public to react when they're not fulfilling their duties? The sad irony is that they'll come down harder on decent people defending themselves than they ever have on the actual criminals.
Exactly!!
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-25-2018, 01:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Ignore this trolls comments he sides with criminals and anti gun boneheads for attention only, nothing more. IGNORE HIM.
Theres lots of laws i dont agree with does that mean i should be able to do as i please just because i want to? Some of us can respect the laws..

What are the odds the shooter is known around here? My guess not very likely.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Theres lots of laws i dont agree with does that mean i should be able to do as i please just because i want to? Some of us can respect the laws..

What are the odds the shooter is known around here? My guess not very likely.
Didn't you get banned a couple months ago?
Old 02-25-2018, 06:18 AM

The article said that the Police were on scene in minutes, it didn't say how many minutes though. One thing is absolutely for certain though, Rural Crime is on the rise and the criminals know that even if they do get caught, the penalty will be very minimal. For criminals right now in Canada who intend on stealing from Rural property owners, the Risk vs. Reward ration is in their favor. Rural property owners can often have large dollar items that can be moved on the black market very easy.

I really hope not, but my guess is that the orders will come down to: "set an example" of the Property Owner so that other people don't think of doing the same. Hopefully the Property Owner thought he saw a gun in the guy's hand
and feared for his life.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
The article said that the Police were on scene in minutes, it didn't say how many minutes though. One thing is absolutely for certain though, Rural Crime is on the rise and the criminals know that even if they do get caught, the penalty will be very minimal. For criminals right now in Canada who intend on stealing from Rural property owners, the Risk vs. Reward ration is in their favor. Rural property owners can often have large dollar items that can be moved on the black market very easy.

I really hope not, but my guess is that the orders will come down to: "set an example" of the Property Owner so that other people don't think of doing the same. Hopefully the Property Owner thought he saw a gun in the guy's hand
and feared for his life.
It would be more appropriate to make an example of the thieves, instead of having the police and the courts waste their time, and the thieves ending up with a slap on the wrist. If this rural crime keeps up, the courts may have a tough time finding a jury that will convict a property owner. Perhaps that is what needs to happen, what can the courts do if the jury finds the property owner not guilty every tiime? It would certainly make the criminals think twice if the courts were no longer able to protect them.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It would be more appropriate to make an example of the thieves, instead of having the police and the courts waste their time, and the thieves ending up with a slap on the wrist. If this rural crime keeps up, the courts may have a tough time finding a jury that will convict a property owner. Perhaps that is what needs to happen, what can the courts do if the jury finds the property owner not guilty every tiime? It would certainly make the criminals think twice if the courts were no longer able to protect them.
Completely agree. In that news article they said that he was in jail while they figured out what charges they are going to lay against him. Interesting, I didn't read anything about the thief going to jail once treated at the Hospital.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:19 AM

Obviously the property owner needs a little more time at the range. The shot in the arm could have been a little more to the center and more speed would have got the second varmint!
Old 02-25-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHunter View Post
"Police are cautioning property owners to call them rather than "pursue or engage with suspicious individuals."

pretty much means "You're not allowed to defend yourself! Take the pounding until we take our sweet time there! (if we ever get there)"

How is shooting someone running away from you 'Defending' yourself ?

As per the story.
The guy found someone ( 2 peoples ) rummaging through his car and he fired upon them while they where: 1) rummaging inside his vehicle for Md Dees Coffee stamps.
2) looking for their lost puppy.
3) threatening the Land Owner with Grave Physical Violence with holding
a Weapon ?

Don't get me wrong, I will defend myself and my family , but the bad guys will not be detained running away from the situation.
Rob
Old 02-25-2018, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Agree but I'm not so sure that the criminal element will receive the message. Unfortunately they are born everyday and I think that things aren't going to change no matter how many are shot.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
How is shooting someone running away from you 'Defending' yourself ?

As per the story.
The guy found someone ( 2 peoples ) rummaging through his car and he fired upon them while they where: 1) rummaging inside his vehicle for Md Dees Coffee stamps.
2) looking for their lost puppy.
3) threatening the Land Owner with Grave Physical Violence with holding
a Weapon ?

Don't get me wrong, I will defend myself and my family , but the bad guys will not be detained running away from the situation.
Rob
Maybe he was shot prior to running away. Don't know I wasn't there but I do believe it's time Joe public takes a stand and stops being a victim.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
So in this case do you believe that the property owner deserves charges ahead of the thief?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Maybe he was shot prior to running away. Don't know I wasn't there but I do believe it's time Joe public takes a stand and stops being a victim.
Then again maybe the the alleged thief was shot by his buddy who was scared when confronted?

I too was not there and the news reports credibility isn't what it should be either.

I'm not going to stick my foot or risk sticking it in my mouth with further comment, but things have to change and shooting someone in the back center of mass for simple theft is a bit over kill in my books.

Thats just me though and my thoughts are what was already said in previous comments and threads.

Best Regards,
Rob
Old 02-25-2018, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Then again maybe the the alleged thief was shot by his buddy who was scared when confronted?

I too was not there and the news reports credibility isn't what it should be either.

I'm not going to stick my foot or risk sticking it in my mouth with further comment, but things have to change and shooting someone in the back center of mass for simple theft is a bit over kill in my books.

Thats just me though and my thoughts are what was already said in previous comments and threads.

Best Regards,
Rob
After having a very close family member being a victim of a home invasion I'm all for center of mass and believe a good defence is a better offence. Sometimes it is to late to wait for the criminal to show his hand.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Best Regards,
Rob
Was the suspect shot in the back or was he facing the shooter? Was he running away, or was he coming at the property owner? Without more details, we can only speculate. I can say though, that after the 79 year old was recently shot at by a thief, while in his own home, property owners may have a good reason to feel threatened, and this type of thing is likely going to happen more and more often.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

Exactly....the fix chop off the hand of a thief....second offence....hang'em....if they are fortunate to get caught by the police if not then the owner of the property has the right to protect thier property with what ever means they want and will not be prosecuted for doing so.
Criminal acts should be immediate lost of rights and treated as a rogue animal.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post

How has it come to this?

Our prime minister is defending the thief over the person defending his stuff!!
Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 AM

Unfortunately this landowner is going to pay for it. The turd and others lost last time. They are going to set an example of him.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Exactly....the fix chop off the hand of a thief....second offence....hang'em....if they are fortunate to get caught by the police if not then the owner of the property has the right to protect thier property with what ever means they want and will not be prosecuted for doing so.
Criminal acts should be immediate lost of rights and treated as a rogue animal.
X2, I thought I was the only one on here with that kind of thinking.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Unfortunately this landowner is going to pay for it. The turd and others lost last time. They are going to set an example of him.
Can you imagine the reaction if the jury refuses to find him guilty?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

Default Just the beginning !

Remember this is gun grab country ....not much love for the horsemen
around here . Alleged what , that is definitely CBC commie crap ...
We all know what the cure is for any trespass crime .... That's right
a good wrist slapping ....bring back the paddle !
I believe that is the only cure taking into account our current judicial
system .

Last edited by Newellknik; 02-25-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:32 AM

Police are cautioning property owners to call them rather than "pursue or engage with suspicious individuals."

Yeah, Right. It's inevitable that there are going to be more of these. They tell me about the only way to get prompt response is to inform the cops you have a gun and will shoot if the situation in your judgement, demands it. Let them play that tape in court.

Grizz
Closed Thread