Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Default which bow would you buy

I have been shooting my browning mirage for almost 20 yrs now and thinking its time for a new bow for the next 20.I would like something over the 300fps in around and something that is easy to tune;and price range for bow up to around 1G.I am just looking for names of bows that guys are shooting that are in the above details;no bs about praticing and other sh#t
Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 AM

Default bows

nice clarification on your post, hope it keeps form getting de-railed.
myself and 8 of my 'hunting crew' are pretty hard core bowtech guys.
you can get into a tomcat for $600 dressed, its right around the 300fps, depending on draw length. its what i started with, then move to a defender, then a tribute, and now an allegiance.
my son used mine when he got big enough to pull the string, then got a general last year. he really likes shooting it and does well, but it is heavier than the tomcat and wants to trade or get new one again. he likes to do a lot of walking and the extra pounds add up at the end of the day.
not sure where your at , jimbows in calgary is good to deal with, and fly's etc is now a bowtech dealer as well.
find any new bow that fits you and you'll be happy, lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 AM

Chances are you are gonna get all kinds of replies on here bout what you should buy. I have been chaning bows and companies every 3 years or so since I started out shooting bows which was 20+ years ago. My latest bow is a Hoyt Alpha Max 32 IBO is 321, and I really like it, shoots well, no torque, and fairly quiet. But the kicker is that I have yet to get a bow that I hated or couldn't shoot. Are you looking to spend a 1000 on the package or just the bow? I would head to the pro shops and shoot a bunch to see what you like. If it was me I would be looking at a Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, APA, and even a Bear. Anyone of those brands are great bows, and it all comes down to personal preference as they all have a model that will fit into what you want.
Good luck, new bows are always a good reason to get out and shoot lots!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneekie View Post
I have been shooting my browning mirage for almost 20 yrs now and thinking its time for a new bow for the next 20.I would like something over the 300fps in around and something that is easy to tune;and price range for bow up to around 1G.I am just looking for names of bows that guys are shooting that are in the above details;no bs about praticing and other sh#t
I'm going into my 30th bowhunting season, My last bow I bought in 92 and last year I decided to get a new one. I picked up an APA Viper and I can't seem to put it down. I'm a fair shot with a bow but this thing makes me a great shot. The groups I pull off at 30 and 40 yards are what I used to do at 20. There are a lot of different makes and models out there but what ever you pick up and shoot will definitely be an improvement on your old one. Good luck in finding the right one.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:06 PM

Deffinetly go to the pro shops and shoot as many bows as you can. If you're looking for another 20 year bow i would deffinetly take into consideration the reputation that hoyt has for very solidly build bows.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 PM

Default bow

APA x2, 311 fps @ 60 pounds and 27 inch draw length....under a g-note.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:05 PM

the diamond is a very good bow also, the black ice. shoots very well im very impresed with them.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:41 PM

just bought a APA viper, and can't wait to get home and shoot it
Old 07-19-2009, 10:30 PM

I shoot hoyt so you should shoot the bow that feels right I know that if I were buying tomorrow it would be a PSE. I have a friend avid Bowtec guy still loves Bowtec but showed up at the holiday trailer with a brand new bear felt so good he shot it shot so good he bought it Hope you find the perfect fit some nice bows with a lot of different names out there.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 AM

another vote for jimbows in calgary.
mathews,bowtech,reflex,hoyt,pse....and not in this order.
They are all shooters.
Price too has a lot to say....you get what you paid for.
Try them out and feel your new bow....then you will know.
Nobody can't tell you what's best for you ....but you.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneekie View Post
BowTech OR APA
Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Darton Pro2500s or Pro4000, but that's just me I'll be getting whichever one is available with the right mods.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 AM

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=34769

I'd give a Ross Carnivore a try if you get the chance. I think it is rated at 318 IBO or however that works, I think they are going off 70lbs and 30" draw, but not sure.

Last edited by Homesteader; 07-20-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added IBO rating.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 AM

A lot of good bows from the "Big Names". You're in a good position- open minded and not brand loyal!! Shoot as many as you can. Having said that, I honestly wouldn't commit to anything until I tried Bowtech's center pivot bows. Either the Admiral or the Captain.... WOW, unbelievable. See (shoot) for yourself!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM

I'm a bowtech shooter, but they seem to fit me best. Although we can all tell you what bows to look at or buy, if your looking to have that bow last another 20 years, don't be cheep!!! Try out the best of the best, and buy the one that fits the best, don't even look at the price tag. You'll be glad you didn't, even 20 years later...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:53 AM

Love my APA Mamba
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM
dubbya

Apa
Old 07-21-2009, 10:51 PM

I have 2 bowtech's and the third is on the way. I love the guardian, haven't shot much better. I swear they made the grip for my hands.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Check out the Diamond Iceman. Picked one up a couple of months ago and have really enjoyed shooting it. Here is Outdoor Life's 2009 Bow Test Review. It might help you some.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...t-2009?photo=4
Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Hoochie Papa

Bowtech.

The warranty and service is a deal maker alone.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:10 PM

I have a PSE mossy oak X, 3 years old now. I have been very happy with it, accurate, quiet, smooth, fast enough...how it would hold up for 20 years I don't know.

I am going to go with a mathews monster this year. I am in the minority as nobody seems to like this bow, but for me it felt really good, smooth enough, no vibration (with string suppresor) and it just felt right. I was going to buy a reazen but I shot the monster and fell in love with it.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:17 PM

I just bought a PSE X-Force super short (26 1/2" axle a2a) man does it shoot. First 50meter group with this bow was under 6" Out to 80 meters it was ab out 12" and it is lightening fast.

Very pleased.

After shooting a Mathew the draw cycle is still taking some time to get used to but I shoot it well (well for me, I know alot of you are much better shots)

Buy what feels right to you. I shot many before this one choose me!!

Trev
Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 AM

Thanks for all the info it was appreciated and i am going to try out lots of brands to see which fits rite.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:08 AM

you know when I look at it now, I guess a person shouldn't be too brand specific. My next bow is going to have a longer axle to axle and the highest brace height I've shot in over 15 years. I'm looking for more accuracy & stability than speed. Speed just means the arrow missed the target 1/10 of second sooner which is pointless. I need forgiveness on the once in a lifetime shots not excuses.