Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Default Dew worms in your lawn

I noticed a few small mounds of dirt in one area of my lawn last night. I think they are dew worms. I would like to get rid of them before they destroy my whole lawn. Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of them?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Banned

My whole neighborhood has been overrun with them. Every lawn around me looks like a mine field. It's amazing the damage they do.

I've never come across a way to get rid of them. I tired the "grub-out" stuff, it didn't work and I hate to use too many chemicals. I even dug out my entire back lawn and re-sodded. They were back again within a year.

If you can find a way, nip them in the bud ASAP.

About the only thing I can do at this point is open up a bait shop...

Waxy
Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 AM

Default sand

I have heard that people have had good success by putting a thick layer of sand on top of the grass. The sand irrates the worms and they leave.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Interesting, might have to try the sand out, I also have a major infestation of them as well.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I have heard that people have had good success by putting a thick layer of sand on top of the grass. The sand irrates the worms and they leave.
Huh, I'll have to try that on a patch in the back yard.

Thanks for the tip...

Waxy
Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 AM
troller

Good luck guys. It doesn't sound like an easy job by a long shot.

http://www.oxfordcroquet.com/care/worms/index.asp

"Dew Worms

Dew Worms
Many people complain about the presence of dew worms in their yards, and their lumpy lawns.
Dew worms are ‘Nightcrawlers’ or Lumbricus terrestris. They live deep in the ground, with vertical burrows as long as 2.5 meters, and can live up to 9 years. They come up to the surface to eat plant litter, and also to cast off soil and waste products (resulting in the mounds on your lawn).
These are a few things you can do to reduce the damage they cause.
1. Remove the thatch on your lawn, as this disturbs the burrows.
2. Water the lawn less frequently, about every 10 days, will drive them deeper into the ground.
3. Top dressing the soil with sand, as this irritates the worms.
If you are planning an event and want a quick fix, you can roll the lawn with a heavy roller (available from rentals companies), power rake it, and let it dry."

http://prairiescapes.blogspot.com/20...dew-worms.html (bottom of page)
Old 05-29-2008, 11:07 AM

I saw gather 10 or 20 put em in a butteer tub and sell them 2.50 a tub.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeonhound View Post
I noticed a few small mounds of dirt in one area of my lawn last night. I think they are dew worms. I would like to get rid of them before they destroy my whole lawn. Does anyone know of a way I can get rid of them?
LEAVE THE GRASS CLIPPINGS ON THE LAWN , THEY HATE TO MUCH NITOGIN , after a while they will leave.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 PM

we have dew worms bad as well. Makes it hard to mow the lawn. We never had a mower that bagged the grass clippings so they were on the ground, they still came. Got a new lawnmower this year with a bag and no difference. We had to get a new mower with bigger wheels cause our 10 year old mower with little wheels made it hard to mow the lawn with the big lumps.
Beth
Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 PM

Default earthworms not native to Alberta

As some of you might know, earthworms are not native to Alberta and all have been introduced. In the boreal forest they tend to occur along roads and near lakes that get fished. They are not necessarily good for the litter layer in the boreal.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM

font270 is absoultey right. You cant walk on the lawn without shoes, the lumps just hurt. our little guys as well are under 3 and ya, they have a hard time. Just a nighmare having the dreaded DEW worms.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 PM

Get a bud with a Lincoln mobile and launch the buggers into your bait-can.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 PM

Default Dew Worms

Belive me when i tell you guys you do not want hese in your lawn. 3 years ago i noticed a few lumps in my back yard. I enquired and found out they were dew worms. perfect free fishing bait.3 years later I can not take one step in the yard without stepping on at least 2 mounds.lawn mowing is a pain in the *****,lawn mower bouncing up and down. I have 2 kids under 4 and they can barely walk on it without twisting an ankle. My back yard is over 4000 square feet. Only good thing about is that it is not my problem anymore. Sold the house, will be out on the 15 of june. Moving to a bigger and better home.DEWWORM FREE
Old 10-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
LEAVE THE GRASS CLIPPINGS ON THE LAWN , THEY HATE TO MUCH NITOGIN , after a while they will leave.
EXACTLY , thats what l did , worms gone in a year.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:56 PM

We had them in Rocky and the best way to get rid of them is to pour bleach down every hole. This should work if you only have a few worms. Would be impossible if your whole lawn was taken over. And even if you get rid of them, if your neighbours have them then they will be back. Unless everyone in the area gets rid of them, you will be constintely fighting them off. The only way I got rid of them for good was when I sold the house.
Good Luck.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Default dew worms?

I am sorry guys but I have seen this thread on here so many time, and I have not said anything. but now I have to. come on, they are dew worms I had them on my acerage in ontario I have them on my lawn in alberta. they are here to stay. cut your grass roll it if you like, water the hell out of it and pick all night, but dont dump bleach down every hole. They are great for the soil. As for the lumps I walk everywhere in barefeet and I do all right.
some of the nicest grass everywhere is on golf courses and they are full of them.

My 2 c

I am not trying to offend any one, but I don't think there is any way to keep them away for good.
(ok mabey by buying a 1200.00 wind mill from UFA)

Last edited by bsmitty27; 08-24-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 AM

Have you ever watched Caddyshack?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 AM

There used to be a product called "Crawler Caller" you mixed it with water and it irritated the worms so they'd shoot to the surface. If I remember it was formaldehyde and was taken off the market.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 PM

OK, that just gross. I went out to check my lumpy lawn hopping to find the motherlode of night crawlers, it's covered in thousands of inch long pastey white slugs, they're making babies.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:35 PM

Smile Dew worms

You folks have it all wrong. I am waiting for all of the bumps to come together. Sit back, relax - your lawn should be level and 1 1/2 inches higher by the year 3000!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM

You'd think that after 6 years, those worms would be dead.....

As Donkey Oatey said "holy necrophelia thread batman"!!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 AM

Aerate your lawn. It wont get rid off them over night. But worms are natures way of aerating your lawn for you. If you do it twice a this year and once next spring you will see a difference.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Banned

i love collecting dew worms from mine and the neighbours yard. if stored properly they can survive for at least a year. very tricky little buggers to catch though. was thinking of doing a video about catching and storing them.
one thing i found surprising is that dew worms are not native to canada.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM

Id love to harvest some from my lawn but unfortunately i also have 6 pairs of Robins on the property and they wake up much earlier than i do.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeonhound View Post

lts easy , just leave the clippings on the grass , they dont like nitogen .
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 PM

When I was a kid growing up in NB, we used to take a flashlight to the local golf course around midnight and slowly walk across the fairways nightcrawlin'. Direct light and vibration would cause the nightcrawlers to quickly retreat back underground. As kids we'd dive for them and put them into a chokehold pulling with just enough tension to get them out of the hole and not snap them. Once we got good at it, we'd get em before they knew what happened. We'd have a bucket of half slime, half wriggling nightcrawler after about half an hour.

We'd put those nightcrawlers to work over the next day or two down at the town bridge where the Meduxnekeg emptied into the Saint John catching small mouth bass, perch, and pickeral like no tomorrow.
Funny, back then, we'd throw perch into the woods to reduce the junk fish...had never heard of anyone eating them until I moved to AB...turns out they're pretty good.

We'd also have good luck with brown trout further up into the headwaters. Throw a big gob of nightcrawlers on your hook and let it sit on bottom.