Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-12-2018, 01:21 PM

When walking with someone else, never have one in the chamber. Regardless of how competent or confident a person is, a first accidental discharge can happen in spite of years of training or experience IMO. If for no other reason it’s a good safety model to pass on to others. When hunting alone and anticipating a shot opportunity I will have one in the chamber with the safety on, muzzle pointed in a safe direction
Old 04-12-2018, 01:25 PM

There are many "accidents" that take place during to loading and unloading of guns. I would bet money it is the most common instance of accidental discharge. It is also common for people to be shot with a presumed unloaded firearm.

The only accidental discharges I have ever witnessed was when slamming shut a break action shotgun.

Where exactly are the barrels pointing when a break action is closed. It can't be up because the shells would fall out and it would be just as unlikely that it be pointed straight down as one would have to be lifting the butt stock into an awkward position to achieve this.

I am not saying people that carry an open shotgun are pointing it at other hunters. I am suggesting that the barrel is slightly below horizontal and hopefully pointed down range. The problem I have is that my dogs are generally down range. Add to this an excited hunter, and this could be dangerous IMO.

Anyway, safety on, gun loaded and barrels up or you can find someone else's dogs to hunt over. Right wrong or indifferent, thems the rules.

People might also want to consider the amount of dust ect., that enters via an opened action and the undo wear to the pins with the action not being locked up when walking.

If I am with another hunter and we are walking together, I unload and take up the rear. I make no attempt to load and fire if buddy misses. I will not walk with another person behind me with a loaded rifle or shotgun.

I deer hunt alone and have one in the chamber with safety on. I hunt in the bush and racking a round is just not an option. I like very close quarters where raising the rifle takes care and extreme quiet. I have had them hear the safety.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
I absolutely disagree. I always have a round in the chamber and the safety on from the moment I depart my vehicle to the moment I return to it. To each their own but in my opinion doing otherwise has nothing to do with safety and more to do with the user being unsure of themselves and a lack of confidence in their personal weapons handling. I can't imagine sitting while coyote calling and waiting until I have a dog come in on high alert to make the unnecessary movement and noise making that cycling the bolt would create, worse yet if it was a big deer. Chances are you would lose the opportunity.
It's all about safety and nothing about confidence.

Quote:
Just curious how that goes over with hunting partners? Are they like minded? I think if I went hunting with someone else and they asked me to keep my rifle unloaded while walking or while with them I would decline and then never take them with me again.
Are group ensures the company we keep are all like minded.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Had anybody every slipped , tripped and or fallen while hunting ? If they did I don't imagine they planned on doing it .

If the above story is true it is an example of don't rely on a safety.
I fell in a hole while bird hunting. My husband said one minute I was right next to him and then next minute I was gone.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:12 PM

when I hunt alone one in safety on
Old 04-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
It's all about safety and nothing about confidence.

Are group ensures the company we keep are all like minded.
If one is unsure about their ability to safely carry a loaded firearm maybe they shouldn't be carrying one.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Banned

Always one loaded and safety on
Old 04-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Banned

I never ever use the safety. Loaded magazine empty chamber and rifle uncocked. If I'm in a blind loaded mag and bolt open. Muzzle is always up. If I don't have time to chamber a round when hunting then imo I don't have time to properly shoot the animal I'm hunting.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Default Loaded guns

Quote:
If one is unsure about their ability to safely carry a loaded firearm maybe they shouldn't be carrying one.
Maybe overconfident gun handlers, vehicle drivers, swimmers ect are what cause accidents and funerals.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:07 PM

For big game I mostly hunt in a stand .I chamber a round when I get there.safety on .my first fifteen years of hunting was in shotgun only areas of southern ontario.i can't imagine seeing a deer at 50 yds or less ,then racking a shell into the old 870 and having the deer stay still while all that racket is going on.i have seen deer come alert at a safety coming off as well.muzzle control
Old 04-12-2018, 04:06 PM

I suspect most of the answers here really depend on the type of hunting being done.
To me, it makes little sense to be stalking without a round chambered. The noise of chambering one will undo hours of patient slow movement into position. Similarly, why not have a round chambered if you are sitting in a blind?

If I am not stalking, or have a rifle slung, I am much more likely to have the chamber empty.

As others have pointed out though, muzzle control matters even when you think the chamber is empty. I have seen many instances of hunters, and sport shooters opening the action on their gun, and being surprised when a round dropped out. At least half the time they were previously carelessly pointing it around stating it was unloaded.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Maybe overconfident gun handlers, vehicle drivers, swimmers ect are what cause accidents and funerals.
Well I've spent perhaps thousands of hours walking around in the woods with a hot weapon and I've never shot myself or anyone else. There is no such thing as accidental discharges, they are caused by negligence there should be referred to as negligent discharges. Accidents don't happen. Negligent acts happen.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
I suspect most of the answers here really depend on the type of hunting being done.
To me, it makes little sense to be stalking without a round chambered. The noise of chambering one will undo hours of patient slow movement into position. Similarly, why not have a round chambered if you are sitting in a blind?

If I am not stalking, or have a rifle slung, I am much more likely to have the chamber empty.

As others have pointed out though, muzzle control matters even when you think the chamber is empty. I have seen many instances of hunters, and sport shooters opening the action on their gun, and being surprised when a round dropped out. At least half the time they were previously carelessly pointing it around stating it was unloaded.
+1 exactly
Old 04-12-2018, 05:11 PM

If I'm hunting out of blind I'm loaded. If I'm walking with my double barrel,it's usually cracked with shells in the chamber if with the pumps or autoloader they're not loaded while walking, when walking with rifles they are never loaded,only load when I see the target, sometimes guns go off accidentaly ,seen a single shot Cooey go of for no reason in a boat blew a hole right in the boat ,years ago while hunting with my brothers my pump went while chambering a load, the shot hit road and peppered my brothers legs,there was no harm done.I have a lot of respect for guns it only takes a second to have a life altering accident,my 2 cents happy hunting.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
If I'm hunting out of blind I'm loaded. If I'm walking with my double barrel,it's usually cracked with shells in the chamber if with the pumps or autoloader they're not loaded while walking, when walking with rifles they are never loaded,only load when I see the target, sometimes guns go off accidentaly ,seen a single shot Cooey go of for no reason in a boat blew a hole right in the boat ,years ago while hunting with my brothers my pump went while chambering a load, the shot hit road and peppered my brothers legs,there was no harm done.I have a lot of respect for guns it only takes a second to have a life altering accident,my 2 cents happy hunting.
Firearms shouldnt be loaded in a vehicle of any kind, and who knows what kind of equipment failure/finger on trigger/ muzzle in unsafe direction combination was involved in the shotgun load. Either way. People need to know how their firearms function and respect their use.

Neither of those incidents match the practice of having a loaded chamber with maintaining safe handling while hunting on foot.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:34 PM

I used to hunt with the safety on, until I came across a deer, shouldered my rifle, squeezed and nothing happened because the safety was on. I was never really comfortable walking around with a round in the chamber anyway. I also found it cumbersome to unload everytime I came across sketchy terrain. I like to be consistent so the is less chance for error if I load everytime I intend to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2018, 06:04 PM

I have never used the safety on any gun. Loaded (ready to fire) or unloaded(will not fire).
Old 04-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Firearms shouldnt be loaded in a vehicle of any kind, and who knows what kind of equipment failure/finger on trigger/ muzzle in unsafe direction combination was involved in the shotgun load. Either way. People need to know how their firearms function and respect their use.

Neither of those incidents match the practice of having a loaded chamber with maintaining safe handling while hunting on foot.
Nyksta.............there is no issue with hunting waterfowl from a boat (with some restrictions).
Old 04-12-2018, 06:41 PM

When hunting big game, I usually have the chamber empty unless still hunting, or making a final stalk, or when on stand. For waterfowl from a blind, the chamber is loaded the safety on, and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. When upland hunting, the gun is broken over my shoulder, and I only close the action when the dog is on point, and I am about to flush the bird. In all cases, proper muzzle control is the priority.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:50 PM

I hunt mostly heavy timber and things happen fast,loaded with safety on all the time on foot.plus I hunt solo 99 percent of time so trusting myself in numerous ways is a must cause a sharp stick in the eye can ruin your day or life.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Banned

X 2 Elkhunter ! I know for a fact I will never shoot myself or anyone else BECAUSE , There Is NOTHING out there worth getting killed over and if you don't get to shoot on time and you fail to fire What about it? Tomorrow is another day! I keep my chamber empty at all times , I have seen the results of accidental shootings?? never in my company always after the fact RIGHT after !You walk with a loaded gun with me ? You stay in the car! Lord almighty ! what a stupid thing to do!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
X 2 Elkhunter ! I know for a fact I will never shoot myself or anyone else BECAUSE , There Is NOTHING out there worth getting killed over and if you don't get to shoot on time and you fail to fire What about it? Tomorrow is another day! I keep my chamber empty at all times , I have seen the results of accidental shootings?? never in my company always after the fact RIGHT after !You walk with a loaded gun with me ? You stay in the car! Lord almighty ! what a stupid thing to do!
I would never hunt with someone who has such little faith in their own weapons handling that they are terrified to have one in chamber. Nor would I want a nervous Nellie with me who is quaking with fear because my rifle or shotgun is readied. I feel very fortunate to have a group of hunting buddies that are proficient with their firearms and trustworthy enough that we all can safely move amongst one another without fear of shooting each other in the face.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

I have plenty of faith in myself and anyone I hunt with EXCEPT that at my age and experience I know sheet happens to the best of them ! If everyone was as sure about themselves as some seem to be WHY are we still hearing of gun accidents? There wouldn't even be a point in talking about it would there ? But to each his own , Except when you are with me!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I would never hunt with someone who has such little faith in their own weapons handling that they are terrified to have one in chamber. Nor would I want a nervous Nellie with me who is quaking with fear because my rifle or shotgun is readied. I feel very fortunate to have a group of hunting buddies that are proficient with their firearms and trustworthy enough that we all can safely move amongst one another without fear of shooting each other in the face.
X2

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
X3
Old 04-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:

I agree 100 percent with you,a guy has to have faith in his handling of his weapon or just stay home and bake cookies.Nervous Nellies are dangerous.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:50 PM

Round in the chamber, bolt in but not " down". My bolt is a little stiff though so it doesnt slide open on me.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post

I guess you have no beaver hunting experience.
Or ducks or moose on a river.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I agree 100 percent with you,a guy has to have faith in his handling of his weapon or just stay home and bake cookies.Nervous Nellies are dangerous.
Agree.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I guess you have no beaver hunting experience.
Or ducks or moose on a river.
If its not in your hands controlling the muzzle in a safe direction, it shouldnt be loaded. If you put it down in the boat, unload the chamber