Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 07:23 AM

That stock is fine. The size of the port is fine. The port size being large is nice for hand feeding. The appearance is a matter of opinion.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
That Bighorn looks like it was hogged out with a Dremel tool by a guy with bad eyes....
That's the first thing that caught my eye as well, far more so than even the stock fitment (which I wouldn't accept in a custom rifle either)....somehow that ejection port just looks...wrong. Maybe it's the way the rail sits on top that draws the eye to it, but your description of it was bang on.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-26-2018, 09:42 AM

Huh? You guys think that action is finished like a Savage?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Savage and Lee Enfield are "ROBUST AND RELIABLE", it does not make them pretty nor a candidate for a true custom rifle without a ton of work. I expect my custom guns to be both fully functional and aesthetically pleasing to look at, otherwise might as well just shoot a re-barreled Savage or Remington, which will easily shoot 1/4 to 1/3 MOA. If it is just about accuracy that is all you need.

That Bighorn looks like it was hogged out with a Dremel tool by a guy with bad eyes, and if you think the finish work on the bolts is okay then I have some Milsurps you would just love. Personally I would take a stock Savage or Rem 700 over that ugly duckling any day.
Yes, I am sure Zermmat is going to change things based on what you have to say. You should also probably tell all the people who run them in PRS/NRL that they have ejection problems with that horrendously misshaped ejection port...

The OP would also have chosen that bolt handle. It is one of the 1/2 dozen options Bighorn actions have. Not my taste either but the OP chose it.

Maybe it doesn't have an F-Class or BR style looks (which are quite snazzy sometimes) but the Bighorn actions are built for functionality. If you don't like the looks that is fine, it does not mean it is poorly designed though.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Huh? You guys think that action is finished like a Savage?
No, I think the average Savage is actually a lot better finished than what I can see of this one. If you look at the fluting on the bolt, there is an interruption in the top flute that shouldn't be there, in addition to all the other stuff I listed.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
Yes, I am sure Zermmat is going to change things based on what you have to say. You should also probably tell all the people who run them in PRS/NRL that they have ejection problems with that horrendously misshaped ejection port...

The OP would also have chosen that bolt handle. It is one of the 1/2 dozen options Bighorn actions have. Not my taste either but the OP chose it.

Maybe it doesn't have an F-Class or BR style looks (which are quite snazzy sometimes) but the Bighorn actions are built for functionality. If you don't like the looks that is fine, it does not mean it is poorly designed though.
I have no opinion or experience with its functionality. The 700 action is a great action so anything built on its footprint is likely to be pretty functional to, Thus it may well serve perfectly fine, as do many other ugly tools. Like I said before, if I am going to get a custom made tool, I want my tools to be functional, reliable and PRETTY.

This is what the fit and finish on a custom rifle should look like in my opinion. Stock can be synthetic and finish bead blasted, but the fit and finish needs to be at this level to be worthy of being called a custom.

The OP asked for feedback on the gun and would we find it acceptable on a custom gun. All I am doing is providing my perspective, he can do what he likes with the input, that is strictly up to him.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
No, I think the average Savage is actually a lot better finished than what I can see of this one. If you look at the fluting on the bolt, there is an interruption in the top flute that shouldn't be there, in addition to all the other stuff I listed.
Too me it appears to be lighting and shadows in the picture. But I may be wrong. Who knows.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-26-2018, 01:13 PM

Default .

Honestly, it took me a couple of seconds to spot the problem and I don't see it as a big deal. Now tactical stuff doesn't really appeal to me aesthetically, but it's not like the stock intrudes into the port or anything hideous.

I wouldn't think twice about it, it's not my money though and I might feel differently if it was??

Far worse are the tooling marks and overly generous gaps and reveals inherent to any factory rifle price at $1,000 or less. It's kind of as poorly lit photo and everybody is tearing the build quality apart based on that? I'd bet many of you have been proud of a CZ 550 or the like, whose metal work won't bear inspection.

I do hate pic rails though :-D
Old 04-26-2018, 01:28 PM

I don't mean to sound too critical, but from what I see, you do not have a custom rifle .. you have a modular rifle built from a variety of different components.
A full custom begins with a barreled action with the stock and the other add-on components built to fit and meld perfectly your barreled action.
Form, fit and finish will depend on the expertise of the individual gunmaker.
and final product will reflect the final price..

If the individual who built the rifle as pictured will give you a fair amount of price consideration, it may be acceptable, otherwise, I would suggest starting from scratch and having a true custom rifle built.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I don't mean to sound too critical, but from what I see, you do not have a custom rifle .. you have a modular rifle built from a variety of different components.
A full custom begins with a barreled action with the stock and the other add-on components built to fit and meld perfectly your barreled action.

If the individual who built the rifle as pictured will give you a fair amount of price consideration, it may be acceptable, otherwise, I would suggest starting from scratch and having a true custom rifle built.

I'm a builder and the proliferation of "custom" builders is a pet peeve of mine....yet it is what it is. To me, a custom home is one designed and built without a supplier list and sample templates. To the rest of the world, it means you selected from a varying number of options offered by the builder and perhaps selected a number of the finish materials for yourself.
Semantics really
Old 04-26-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Given the custom action is a Rem 700 clone, was it ordered for a specific Bighorn inlet or a Rem 700 inlet? You'd likely be quicker to have the port built up and finished to match. Who ordered the stock?

It would bother me and need to be fixed.
This McMillan stock was ordered specifically for the bighorn inlet! The stock was ordered properly by the shop, it just happens to not be perfect. I've confirmed with the shop ordering my parts that this will be remedied, likely by means of a return and remake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdogger View Post
So quick question what stock did you order ?
What action is that.

You are building a custom gun do a custom job , if it really bothers you have the smith fill it in with bedding compound when they bed it and reshape and paint.

I suspect that you ordered a Remington stock because the the action MFG says it is a Remington footprint, I also suspect the ejection port on the custom action is not the same size as a factory Remington. This is in no way the stock manufacturers fault. It is putting a bunch of custom parts together like a snap together model and calling it a custom build. Unless that stock was supposedly made to fit that exact action would it be the stock makers fault.
This adjustable McMillan Game Warden stock was specifically ordered and manufactured for this action, the Bighorn Arms SR3-LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
I looked at your picture thinking, where’s this flaw... where... then I seen it and it was like a car accident. Couldn’t look away. I’d send it back as well or say yes it would bother me. Heck it’s bothering me right now and it’s not even my gun!

Sweet rifle by the way, care to tell us more about it? Caliber and the different components it was made with?
Thanks! It should be really sweet, and I'm quite excited, but it sounds like I'll be waiting another 6 or so weeks. I agree about the car accident, I'd have probably never noticed, but now that I know it's there, I can't look away.

The components list:
-McMillan adjustable Game Warden stock, carbon lightweight
-Bighorn Arms SR3-LA. Likely going to chamber it in 300 win mag, but also considering 30 nosler.
-26" benchmark SS barrel, 5R
-Triggertech R700 trigger
-HS Precision bottom metal and magazine
-Area 419 hellfire self-timing muzzle brake
-Haven't purchased the scope yet, but it will be a quality long range FFP scope, be it Nightforce or Vortex.

Hoping to have a gun that's functional both in the field and range. It will be too heavy to be practical for hauling around all day, but perfect for the powerlines and oil pipelines I hunt.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post

What gives you that impression? The rifle has not been built...parts have been ordered, and as the expert he knew that this could be an issue so he cold fit the parts to ensure that the basic fit would be there. As a good and honest business owner, he gave me the heads up on a defect he noticed well before building time. He would not accept this stock, and wanted to confirm that I felt the same way. This is/will be a full-custom rifle.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up That's a beauty rifle

Quote:
I have no opinion or experience with its functionality. The 700 action is a great action so anything built on its footprint is likely to be pretty functional to, Thus it may well serve perfectly fine, as do many other ugly tools. Like I said before, if I am going to get a custom made tool, I want my tools to be functional, reliable and PRETTY.

This is what the fit and finish on a custom rifle should look like in my opinion. Stock can be synthetic and finish bead blasted, but the fit and finish needs to be at this level to be worthy of being called a custom.

The OP asked for feedback on the gun and would we find it acceptable on a custom gun. All I am doing is providing my perspective, he can do what he likes with the input, that is strictly up to him.

Too pretty for the field

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-28-2018, 01:17 AM

Default Exactly

Exactly. You’ve been getting lots of info from folks who’ve never built a rifle before. And I will be honest. McMillans aren’t finished up well from the factory very often. I have two here now that look like bargain bin stocks, not $1000 units. And if yours is the Molded in exterior over fibreglass, it’s not an easy task to repair, it has to go back and wait another 3 months let’s say for a rush. Or accept that it will have a slightly longer port than the action. It’s hardly an eye catcher. The fancy wood Lefty posted and your rifle are two different beasts. I think yours was designed as a shooter, the other a looker. I know which rifle I want. And that poser rifle doesn’t have near the engraving or wood to be a class winner. It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

What gives you that impression? The rifle has not been built...parts have been ordered, and as the expert he knew that this could be an issue so he cold fit the parts to ensure that the basic fit would be there. As a good and honest business owner, he gave me the heads up on a defect he noticed well before building time. He would not accept this stock, and wanted to confirm that I felt the same way. This is/will be a full-custom rifle.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-28-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Exactly. You’ve been getting lots of info from folks who’ve never built a rifle before. And I will be honest. McMillans aren’t finished up well from the factory very often. I have two here now that look like bargain bin stocks, not $1000 units. And if yours is the Molded in exterior over fibreglass, it’s not an easy task to repair, it has to go back and wait another 3 months let’s say for a rush. Or accept that it will have a slightly longer port than the action. It’s hardly an eye catcher. The fancy wood Lefty posted and your rifle are two different beasts. I think yours was designed as a shooter, the other a looker. I know which rifle I want. And that poser rifle doesn’t have near the engraving or wood to be a class winner. It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

What gives you that impression? The rifle has not been built...parts have been ordered, and as the expert he knew that this could be an issue so he cold fit the parts to ensure that the basic fit would be there. As a good and honest business owner, he gave me the heads up on a defect he noticed well before building time. He would not accept this stock, and wanted to confirm that I felt the same way. This is/will be a full-custom rifle.
[/QUOTE]

For a guy that knows his McMillans you should know that this one is obviously painted. I haven’t owned the most McMillans, but well over a dozen and they are better finished than any other synthetic stock that I have owned.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-28-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.gee View Post
First of all, I wasn't being critical of you, your builder, or the choice of components. It's your build and I commend you for undertaking the project. What category your build reflects, be it a precision build,upgrade, semi-custom or full custom is not important as long as the final product meets with your approval. Categories are only a matter of perspective in spite of the differences.
You obviously had some concerns about the project or you wouldn't have posted. You asked for opinions and you received some. Take from them what you wish and carry on, believing or not, that we are all on your side and wish you the best with the final outcome.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:24 PM

Default Yes

Yes I did believe it was a painted version Chuck. Was stating my experience with poor QC on recent McMillan stocks which happen to be molded units. Unfortunately we haven’t had the same fine experience as you have with McMillan products.

QUOTE=chuck;3777469][/QUOTE]

For a guy that knows his McMillans you should know that this one is obviously painted. I haven’t owned the most McMillans, but well over a dozen and they are better finished than any other synthetic stock that I have owned.[/QUOTE]

Tags
custom, defect, picky, port, rifle