Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-06-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Custom build - Sako action

Do gunsmiths shy away from custom builds centered around sako actions?
Sako rifles seem to be talked of highly in hunting circles, yet very rarely do I see customized sakos on forums or on gunsmithing websites. Could it be the high $$ of obtaining an action, unconventional optics mounting system, or is the three lug bolt undesirable? I keep tossing the following idea around:
300 win mag - sako 75 or 85 ss rec & mag, high quality comp. stock, high quality ss barrel. The rifle would be used for hunting. I am assuming the weight would end up being around 8.5-9 lbs. I have a 3-12 Zeiss victory to throw on top. Any pros/cons, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is there a certain gunsmith in AB that would be more familiar with this type of build? Thanks for your input.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:51 AM

I have seen a few built on the older A-series /forrester/finnbear actions.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

Nothing wrong with Sako action. They are excellent, but not so easy to play with like Pem 700, for example, and usually expensive. I think the most desirable sako action for hunting custom rifle is M995 (aka TRG-S). I have one in 6.5x55 (originally 25-06) and I love it.
Henry Rempel installed a barrel. It has a McMillan hunting stock (I'm going to replace it with laminate)
Hoping to get one more action for 280Rem or 280AI.

Goog luck.

Last edited by straight; 12-06-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:40 PM

The newer Sako actions suffer from a severe shortage of aftermarket parts like decent triggers and stocks.
The actions themselves are ok. Most guys building customs tend to be looking for more particular specialty parts that will serve a specific function. Unfortunately the Sako having a proprietary magazine system makes stock choices very limited. Also the newer Sako triggers were designed to as nothing else would fit or could be fitted with minor modification, so you are pretty much stuck with a mediocre factory trigger.
The older Sako A series and L series you could get good triggers for or could slightly modify 1 for a Mauser as their action layout was quite similar.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:28 PM

sakos are a real good action but like longshot said price and lack of options usually point builders in different directions.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Are there any custom actions that cycle as well as a sako (and also utilize a quality detachable magazine)? Other factory rifles I have used - rem, win, ruger, browning, savage - all have seemed to have moments when the bolt would bind while cycling a round.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeks View Post
Are there any custom actions that cycle as well as a sako (and also utilize a quality detachable magazine)? Other factory rifles I have used - rem, win, ruger, browning, savage - all have seemed to have moments when the bolt would bind while cycling a round.
the nicest smoothest action i ever barreled was a carl gustaf.the smoothest detachable mag rifle i ever rebarreled was an older tikka.both of these will set you back a penny or two used!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yup most of them, but they cost more.
Nesika, Stiller, Dakota, Surgeon, BAT , ALL cycle smooth as butter, with better quality bottom metal like Surgeon, ATRS or Badger which all use Accuracy International magazines they feed extremely reliably. The drawback is that they are limited to certain calibers.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Would a 300 WM be feasible in one of the above mentioned combinations?
Would this type of bottom metal allow for a flush magazine or would it protrude? Sorry - while I do have limited knowledge of all actions mentioned, I have none whatsoever of the bottom metal/mag combination.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Would a 300 WM be feasible in one of the above mentioned combinations?
Would this type of bottom metal allow for a flush magazine or would it protrude? Sorry - while I do have limited knowledge of all actions mentioned, I have none whatsoever of the bottom metal/mag combination.
Yes.
The AI mags do come in a 300 Win mag configuration, but they will protrude down about 2" from the bottom of the stock.
They are 5 rnd single stack mags.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up Sako m75 Custom

Last year I had a new Sako m75 Greywolf 25-06 and built a 338-06 Ackley Improved on the rifle with a new barrel. The barrel was fluted, powdercoated along with some other parts of the rifle to match the Leupold VX3 gunmetal grey scope I had for the new gun.

I love my Sako m75ss 300WM I purshased new along with my good hunting buddy buying the identical rifle back in 1997/98

Only thing I did to mine was had the factory barrel fluted, and barrel polished and the flutes teflon coated black.

My next one I'm dreaming up will be a Sako m75 action with a Macmillan stock, new barrel in a 330 Dakota.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 PM

I had Dennis Sorensen put a Gaillard barrel on a SS 75 and bed it into a Mcmillian stock (thanks Rembo) chambered in 270. He said that he doesn`t true up those actions though, I dont know if anybody does. A local guy did my trigger for it and I love it.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom gunworx View Post
the nicest smoothest action i ever barreled was a carl gustaf.the smoothest detachable mag rifle i ever rebarreled was an older tikka.both of these will set you back a penny or two used!
Don't mean to hijack your thread! But I have a 270 Carl gustaf, the Barrel is worn out. Still shoots OK. But I am thinking of using it for a donar Rifle instead of getting it rebarreled? From what I can tell it was Built it 1973 on the M-8000 action. What would you guys suggest to build with such a rifle? And Who to Build it. Looking for some options.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Do gunsmiths shy away from custom builds centered around sako actions?
Sako rifles seem to be talked of highly in hunting circles, yet very rarely do I see customized sakos on forums or on gunsmithing websites. Could it be the high $$ of obtaining an action, unconventional optics mounting system, or is the three lug bolt undesirable? I keep tossing the following idea around:
300 win mag - sako 75 or 85 ss rec & mag, high quality comp. stock, high quality ss barrel. The rifle would be used for hunting. I am assuming the weight would end up being around 8.5-9 lbs. I have a 3-12 Zeiss victory to throw on top. Any pros/cons, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is there a certain gunsmith in AB that would be more familiar with this type of build? Thanks for your input.
I don't know of any that shy away from Sako actions. As mentioned earlier there are many more options for the Rem. 700 platform or a custom action that utilizes the Rem. 700 configuration.

Sako's are fine actions, the 75 and 85 being the peak of modern design and production. Excellent actions. McMillan makes stocks and of course any of the fine custom barrels can be fitted to the action. I believe the bolt handle is still integral to the bolt body unlike the soldered Rem. 700 or custom stiller action.

Both the 75 and 85 would make fine custom guns.

The problem with many aftermarket bottom metal units (typically for a remington) is that they have lost the fine classic style (unlike the Sako). If you like the refined look like the Sako magazine design, don't look to the Surgeon or tactical makes listed.

The Sako TRG was a departure from their refined style with the plastic type material trigger guard and mag bottom.

Last edited by Precisionshooter; 12-20-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Don't mean to hijack your thread! But I have a 270 Carl gustaf, the Barrel is worn out. Still shoots OK. But I am thinking of using it for a donar Rifle instead of getting it rebarreled? From what I can tell it was Built it 1973 on the M-8000 action. What would you guys suggest to build with such a rifle? And Who to Build it. Looking for some options.
the barrel isnt worn out if it still shoots ok.you can build anything you want on that action but it is going to include rebarreling if you want something different.