Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
sigh...you are "sure?" and he was "likely consulted"....you work for the Toronto Star????...you should maybe get a TV in your house...this rhetoric is getting old........
Well a member of his caucus did say "he was above reproach" which I guess means he can do no wrong!!!!!!

Funny how it can be said he controls the party but when a scandal erupts, he's hands off.

Call the cops in and let them decide if there was any criminal activity.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
sigh...you are "sure?" and he was "likely consulted"....you work for the Toronto Star????...you should maybe get a TV in your house...this rhetoric is getting old........
If you think heir Harper doesn't know what's going in his own office, especially given his 'personality', you must have sand in your hair, eyes and ears.

Lpc supporters are at least HONEST about the corruption in their party and many now vote otherwise.

Cpc supporters are like Oliver Twist.

Personally, and just like the pseudodemoctatic 2 party system to the south of us, I know they are all crooks - to put it simply.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
If you think heir Harper doesn't know what's going in his own office, especially given his 'personality', you must have sand in your hair, eyes and ears.

Lpc supporters are at least HONEST about the corruption in their party and many now vote otherwise.

Cpc supporters are like Oliver Twist.

Personally, and just like the pseudodemoctatic 2 party system to the south of us, I know they are all crooks - to put it simply.
well,,, the only 2 options left to you are to move someplace, or spout your drivel on an "Outdoors Forum". I guess??
Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

Politicians are manipulators and crooks.

I thought that was rather well established.

Apparently you disagree?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Talking

Just to lighten the atmosphere a bit

TF
Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Banned

le zeppelin

hahahahahabaaaaaaahahahahahaha
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Gone Hunting

"I'm sure he knows exactly what went on and was likely consulted as the issue progressed"

And what are you 'sure' he said to do about it?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"I'm sure he knows exactly what went on and was likely consulted as the issue progressed"

"Don't get caught or you'll have to resign"
Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
"Don't get caught or you'll have to resign"
OK.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 PM

Here's the problem, and you can subsitute any "scandal" for the current one. When the opposing party is seen as the evil enemy, then any act, no matter how unethical, is seen as necessary and even virtuous. I'm not sure how to get around that. It takes a pretty big politician to say "we have to act ethically and democratically, no matter the cost". I'm not sure we have any of those sort. And too many supporters of party X support their lying.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
How is it illegal to accept a gift of cash? Regardless of the sum.
Well for starters that "gift" helped him neatly stall and avoid an independant investigation into his expense claims.

I guess thats OK though... if someone tries to defraud taxpayers and then just pays the money back... we should let them keep a job that includes passing Acts and laws and such.... no questions asked and nothing to be concerned about.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

TF
Good one!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:19 AM

Perhaps look at this tactically.

Harper has no love for the Senate and it's well documented.

He chooses a couple liberal media types and a pony tailed french goof for plumb appointments to look conciliatory and centrist, then gives them enough rope to predictably hang themselves with.

He then gets to play the role of strong ethical leader and the senate he hates takes another very public beating.

Risky play without doubt, but a very calculated one that seems to be playing out as planned.

Carry on silly lefties, carry on.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Perhaps look at this tactically.

Harper has no love for the Senate and it's well documented.

He chooses a couple liberal media types and a pony tailed french goof for plumb appointments to look conciliatory and centrist, then gives them enough rope to predictably hang themselves with.

He then gets to play the role of strong ethical leader and the senate he hates takes another very public beating.

Risky play without doubt, but a very calculated one that seems to be playing out as planned.

Carry on silly lefties, carry on.
So what you are saying is that the PM... conspired and then hatched a plot to set the senate up for failure to secure more power for himself and the government elect.

Sounds a bit like a coupe d'tate or sedition to me.... and that would be far worse than anything Diffy has done.
That would be a direct attack against our democratic process and unlawful if it could be proved.

In any case we all agree that reform of the senate is required to make it more effective and accountable to doing what it is supposed to do.

I see that a pol yesterday indicated that 97% of Canadians are not satisfied with the news of that being that he likely has 97% approval to get his feet moving and make changes.
But...the changes he has suggested do not seem to be what Canadians expect.

As far as Duffygate goes... looks like there have been some changes there as well.
Now it looks like he might have double dipped.
Claiming moneys for being in one place while also claiming expenses for travel to another place at the same time.
The RCMP are now involved in some of this and I have a feeling that someone might be headed for the hoosgow.

Only heavan knows how many times weve been screwed this way.

My thought is that the best way for the Conservatives to ensure another win will be if they get their feet moving, stop playing politics with this and acting coy.

It would be a mistake to simply eliminate an oversight body.
If that happens we will have lost an important double check in the system.

What we need is a senate that is elected and impeachable.
One that is equally representative by region and one that is not filled with partisans for any party.

And we need that while the conservatives have a majority because it will never happen if a minority of liberal governmenet is elected.

Irs going to be an interesting summer and fall.. I just hope that the best opportunity for real reform we are ever likely to see...is not wasted with heel dragging, half measures and lip service.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Banned

Ever notice how much RedFrogs avatar looks like Duffy?
Something you want to tell us pal?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Ever notice how much RedFrogs avatar looks like Duffy?
Something you want to tell us pal?
Or does Duffy look like RF... might be more to this than you think
Old 05-29-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
So what you are saying is that the PM... conspired and then hatched a plot to set the senate up for failure to secure more power for himself and the government elect.

Sounds a bit like a coupe d'tate or sedition to me.... blah blah blah
Er...no. Sedition is an effort aimed at inciting a rebellion against gubbermint; and seeing as how Harper IS the gov't he would not indulge in it. Good grief...and a coup d'état is a sudden, illegal overthrow of the gov't usually by illegal and violent means. Harper is not going to overthrow himself! It's called a dictionary, folks!

I believe you have the right of it, Tree Guy, and if EVERYTHING you suspect IS true; this is no more than the usual damage control and spin doctoring we see from the feds out east. I personally don't think it will fly though, if that is the intent.

The fact is that you or I would go to jail if we did what Pamela or Mike did. Harper can't stand behind them as the liberals did when they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar or he will end up in the same boat they are - unable to buy a vote for love or money. Sacrificing a couple political liabilities for some good PR is just good politics. It certainly isn't a...coup d'état or sedition.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

TF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Or does Duffy look like RF... might be more to this than you think
I agree!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Banned

Scandals and a sense of entitlement was the downfall of the Liberal Party. If the Liberals didn't have Trudeau as their leader, but someone who actually knew what they were doing, then the Tories would be in a world of hurt. As it is if they keep having these stupid little scandals, I don't see them getting another majority government.

The Tories are also starting to have a sense of entitlement creep in. It always happens when a Party has been around for awhile.

I'm not really happy with Harper and his Tories right now, however there is nothing else out there to replace them. Pretty boy Trudeau certainly isn't the one and that left wing nut from Quebec Mulclair doesn't cut it either.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
Er...no. Sedition is an effort aimed at inciting a rebellion against gubbermint; and seeing as how Harper IS the gov't he would not indulge in it. Good grief...and a coup d'état is a sudden, illegal overthrow of the gov't usually by illegal and violent means. Harper is not going to overthrow himself! It's called a dictionary, folks!

I believe you have the right of it, Tree Guy, and if EVERYTHING you suspect IS true; this is no more than the usual damage control and spin doctoring we see from the feds out east. I personally don't think it will fly though, if that is the intent.

The fact is that you or I would go to jail if we did what Pamela or Mike did. Harper can't stand behind them as the liberals did when they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar or he will end up in the same boat they are - unable to buy a vote for love or money. Sacrificing a couple political liabilities for some good PR is just good politics. It certainly isn't a...coup d'état or sedition.
Did you read both posts?

Sedition is any act designed to usurpe or undermine lawful authority.
The senate is ... like it or not a part of our government and an act to undermine them would in fact fit the bill quite neatly.

The PM is only the elected head of the government elect.... he is not the government but rather he is a servant within the government. All members and the senate make up the government.
An attempt to undermine the government on the whole could still be seen as a coupe if it was to secure more power for him as an individual.

Unless you subscribe to the idea that we live in a dictatorship that the PM is in chharge of.
In any case the idea that he plotted to set up the senate for such a failure is silly.... and that was my point which, you obviously missed.
Big surprise there...

Its called reading comprehension folks... you'll find those words in a dictionary...

He would have to be insane to do such a thing and risk so much for himself and his party.

Finally... if you want to quote someone that is fine but please do not alter the text and add you own.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Now now Pesky! I like you - why, with some toilet training and different drinking habits you might one day make a fine conservative - like Yours Truly!

I had hoped to improve your comprehension of the situation with some wit and sarcasm but I can see that is not appreciated. Have it your way as you will...as I summarize your arguments as you presented them:

- the eeeeeeevil Stephen Harper is committing treason against the country by undermining his own gov't and his own team with scandals and theft.

- and, in furtherance of this fiendish plot, committing crimes against the Canadian people by punishing the perps responsible!

- and finally, of course, the only ones that can see through this Machiavellian scheme are the guys that can't read or write past the grade 6 level, along with some UFO abductees, and possibly that kid off the short bus that can't be trusted with rubber cement because he eats it if nobody stops him.

Can I write that up and run it by the guys at 22 Minutes or the Royal Canadian Airfarce, Pesky...?