Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 AM

Default yup your getting gouged on gas

Filled up in Edmonton this morning for 1.31$ liter, drove 3 hrs north and its 1.28$ liter.

Usually its atleast a 7 cent premium to buy further north on trucking costs etc. If the margins are the 2% everyone is lead to believe they are some one is getting a steal of a deal on trucking.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Was cheaper in Rocky last weekend than it was in Edmonton.....

LC
Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Yup don't know what the excuse is this time but it is not funny after the long weekend. We are now paying 20 cents a litre more than Hawaii after conversion to litres and 40 cents more than North Carolina as they are now at .87 cents a litre if converted.
Cheapest 6 places in Canada are in southern Ontario and they are still 40 cents a litre more than North Carolina.
In Venezuela regular is .15 a litre and Europe is now over $2. a litre
Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 PM

I heard one guy joke at the pumps that `` its time to `to siphon gas from the cops and city workers``

lol
Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I heard one guy joke at the pumps that `` its time to `to siphon gas from the cops and city workers``

lol
That could be dicey... those Tim Hortons parking lots tend to be well lit and busy.

I think we should do what was threatened a few years ago.
That seemed to get their attention.

Dveryone pick a day or better yet a week that we refuse to buy gas.
or.. everyone stay home from work one day.

It doesn't seem like much but I'll guarantee a lot of people in suits would sit up and start sweating.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 AM

Pesky I don't think that would work, and I don't think you could get anyone to do it. Maybe if everyone just picked one type of station to gas up at until the others dropped their prices then something like that might be doable.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Banned

Something really needs to be done. What can we do is the question. I'm getting tired of taking it up the keester every time a long weekend rolls around. If somebody want's to organize something, I'm all for it.
Why isnt that B$%#TCH of a premier doing something about these prices?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 AM

That's the very reason that they aren't worried about "don't fill up for a day" strikes. They know the next day they will just sell twice as much gas.
The only thing that might show them we still have any buying power is to single out one producer from the others and avoid it for a week.
If no one bought - say - Esso gas for a week, the drop in revenue sure would be felt; but, only by Esso. PetroCanada and Husky would be laughing all the way to the bank.
What if everyone in the larger centers bought from The Flying J truckstops for A WEEK? A US company with US gasoline? Not to benefit the US over Canada, but show Canadian producers WE STILL HAVE A CHOICE. Not much mind you, but a little.
They have no shame, no compassion for the working stiff. Their only feelings are toward the bottom line. Business is business.
What if they were stung on the bottom line a bit? Might Goliath finally notice us?

Don't turn this into a "it pays for exploration" crap fest. The OP thread was about gouging only.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:49 AM

What needs to be done is a refinery built here in Alberta, so we can process stuff ourselves.
we need to stop giving everything to the US/world for pennies on the dollar.

I have found the small mom and pop shops generally have the best price for gas, where as the bigger chain type have no issue making you pay thru the nose.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 AM

Talking

My bicycle is all tuned up and ready to go ,of to work i go,,and ive stopped buying material things,,say no to new boats ,trucks ,campers ,,,lets see what happens,,,,
Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 AM

These prices are keeping me from looking at trucks at the moment that's for sure. Seriously want to get rid of my little econobox car, but from making around 35 mpg I don't think I could handle the switch to a truck with fuel prices as they are now. Would end up just keeping it parked 24/7. That's ok though, tent camping is the way it should be anyways!!

In this first-world existence we are all slaves to fat-cat oil one way or the other. It is ultimately everywhere else that we will cut back in our lives to make up for these increases.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Pesky I don't think that would work, and I don't think you could get anyone to do it. Maybe if everyone just picked one type of station to gas up at until the others dropped their prices then something like that might be doable.
I think you are absolutley right.
People wouldn't do it.

Everyone is too wrapped up in taking care of themselves.

I always get a laugh out of those scenes where someone is in jeopardy... a crowd gathers and the some woman yells....

"Oh NO! Somebody should do something"
The hero rushes foreward....

In real life its is more likely that everyone stares at their toes or begins to move away.... nobody wants to be first or get their hands dirty.
Everyone expects someone else to rush out and save the day.

Somebody but not this body.... can't we outsource our civil protest?

That apathy and reluctance to do things for ourselves is exactly why we have laws we all hate, governments we can't trust and a dropping standard of living.

I guess you have to hit bottom before you can go up....

It is funny though... the internet allows us to communicate better than we ever could before... but now... you cannot hold anyones attention long enough for it to matter.
You could get a million people to sign on to something like that but a week later they would have forgotten all about it and have moved on to some other outrage.

Facebook illustrates that quite nicely... people there join dozens of 'Causes" but none of them actually do anything that requires more effort han signing a petition or giving an electronic thumbs up.

I guess that what we really need isn't causes... its PURPOSE.

Sorry for the derail.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 05-27-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 AM

you demand it, they supply it! (for a price, of course) in the end, that's all there is to it
Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 AM

My wife and I just don't drive that much... I just pulled the fuel log book from the 2006 Civic (our main vehicle). In the last 12 months, we used just under 1,300 litres of fuel (and drove just over 25,000 km). Our highest consumption time is during ski season; we were going through almost 25 litres a week!

Even if gas prices stayed were they are for an entire year it would only mean about $300. Not that I want prices to stay at these levels... I have other things I could spend that $300 on.

I do love the 'analysts' they find to interview on the news to explain why the prices are up... you might as well use a Magic 8 Ball. "Gas prices are high because crude is high. What? Crude is down and dropping lower... Well gas prices are high because of reduced refining capacity. Yah, that's it. Gas stockpiles are at record high levels? Oh, uhm... Sunspots, must be sunspots causing the high prices."

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
My bicycle is all tuned up and ready to go ,of to work i go,,and ive stopped buying material things,,say no to new boats ,trucks ,campers ,,,lets see what happens,,,,
Can't say I would go to your extreme. I parked the Jeep this weekend, stayed home worked on the quad (to sell), and got air in my bike tires. It was my F U to the oil industry. I'm sure their listening.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren008 View Post
These prices are keeping me from looking at trucks at the moment that's for sure. Seriously want to get rid of my little econobox car, but from making around 35 mpg I don't think I could handle the switch to a truck with fuel prices as they are now. Would end up just keeping it parked 24/7. That's ok though, tent camping is the way it should be anyways!!

In this first-world existence we are all slaves to fat-cat oil one way or the other. It is ultimately everywhere else that we will cut back in our lives to make up for these increases.
I switched from my econobox car to a Jeep. Went from high 40's to high 20's and I moved closer to work. Was living with about 15 dollars less in my pocket a week and was fine with that. Wish in way I got another econobox, cause if we go to 1.35-1.50, I'll be trading in the Jeep.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:11 AM

You got to pay it if you want to drive but what gets me is the 7-11 beside me(southside) sells for 2 to 3 cents more then the 7-11 i drive by on the northside when we head out hunting etc. Seems the northside is always cheaper.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
You got to pay it if you want to drive but what gets me is the 7-11 beside me(southside) sells for 2 to 3 cents more then the 7-11 i drive by on the northside when we head out hunting etc. Seems the northside is always cheaper.
That does seem to be true... I've noticed that gas in the south end is often a few cents more.

Must be a big box store tax or something... we get subsidized for our trips to Cabellas.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 PM

If I'm not mistaken, prices are lower in the US mostly due to lower taxes which are included in the price at the pump. Some provinces still regulate prices to some extent but I doubt you'll see any controls in the west any time soon as the 3 westernmost provinces were instrumental in removing price controls in the 1st place. They are after all, benefiting from higher crude prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/sources/petroleum-crude-prices/1511 (excerpt)

After a brief period of regulation, Canada today is committed to a market-based approach to determine prices for crude oil and fuels such as gasoline. While some provinces have opted to regulate gasoline and other fuel prices, this approach has not resulted in lowered prices for consumers in these jurisdictions. Provincial price regulations are generally introduced to provide more stable prices.

While today Canada relies upon competitive markets to determine the price you pay for fuels such as gasoline, it wasn’t always that way. From the 1970s to the early 80s, Canadian consumer prices for gasoline and other fuels were subject to government price controls. A significant agreement reached in 1985 removed those controls to ensure that sufficient supplies of petroleum products were available at the most competitive price.

1974-1985: Canada does regulate crude oil

During this period, federal legislation and agreements with the oil-producing provinces placed crude oil prices under government regulation. The regulation required a complex system of oil export controls, export taxes and oil import subsidies for Canadian refineries. As a result, there was less incentive for business investment in new crude oil supplies and for consumers and businesses to consume fuels more efficiently.

1985: The Western Accord removes crude price controls

Under the terms of the Western Accord of 1985, the governments of Canada, Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia agreed to remove crude oil price controls. Deregulation has increased the flow of investment in Canada’s petroleum industry, aiding its development.

Canada is now committed to a market-based approach to oil and fuel prices. This means that the government relies upon competitive markets to determine prices. Prices set in free and competitive markets:

Give more accurate information to producers regarding their investment decisions
Inform consumers about the value of the fuels they use and whether they need to adjust fuel consumption

Overall, the market-based approach helps ensure that the amount of fuel available and the amount needed by consumers and business are balanced at a competitive price.

International agreements such as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) require that Canadian producers offer their crude oil to our trading partners on the same terms they are offered to Canadian refiners. Canadian producers are free to sell their oil on the world market and are not required to accept a lower price from Canadian or NAFTA refiners.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Never happen, even if it did. The day after the demand for curl would be even higher You and I would pay even more.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 AM

I can't even afford the petroleum jelly required for the "transaction" required to pay for the tank of gas!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Yup don't know what the excuse is this time but it is not funny after the long weekend. We are now paying 20 cents a litre more than Hawaii after conversion to litres and 40 cents more than North Carolina as they are now at .87 cents a litre if converted.
Cheapest 6 places in Canada are in southern Ontario and they are still 40 cents a litre more than North Carolina.
In Venezuela regular is .15 a litre and Europe is now over $2. a litre
I can't speak for Venezuela, Canada or the states, but it is not under $2 a litre
in Europe, it was 1.75 Euro's this morning, one Euro is approximately 1.37 Canadian, give or take a penny or two.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 AM

birdinator got it right. Tax on tax on tax.

We could and should be well under $1 a liter.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 AM

Sorry wwbirds, I misread your Europe price, I read it as under $2 a litre in Europe, instead of over $2 which is what you entered.