Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 02:01 PM

Default Dog Thief

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/20.../20855301.html

I can't believe the nerve of some people. I have heard that there have been people stealing dogs near Wetaskiwin for possible dog fights. Whatever the case, this just makes me sick.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Ya never know these days, there's all kinds of yahoos, out there. This has got to be a new kind of lunatic.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:21 PM

Sickening. A friend of my dads had one of his trial dogs stolen (he thinks) when I was younger. He was beside himself for a long time.

Especially for that purpose, makes it even worse in my mind. Some people need to fly off a tall building on a short rope.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM

Messed up.

That note is full of crazy.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Seems like thefts of dogs is on the rise in the last year or so. Where are they all going? most are chipped or tattooed so a trip to the vet/spca would find them. Weird to say the least.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Banned

So who's to blame? The criminals, the justice system, or both?

Criminals no longer have anything to fear. The justice system is a joke if you're a criminal and goes out of it's way to protect criminals from honest citizens. Pretty crappy use of our taxes if you ask me. Honest citizens paying taxes to be harrassed by the justice system that refuses to protect them.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 PM

Methinks there's a heckuva lot more to this story.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 AM

This is an excellent lesson for dog owners to not leave your animals outside unattended.

If you are going somewhere, but Fido in the house. That way, he doesn't bark and annoy the neighbours while you are away and you are completely oblivious to barking your neighbours are forced to put up with.

BTW, Fido won't get stolen from the yard either.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 AM

The justice system is even less effective concerning domestic animals. As long as abuse of them, no matter how horrific, is considered just a "property crime" no criminal will fear the consequences.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
This is an excellent lesson for dog owners to not leave your animals outside unattended.

If you are going somewhere, but Fido in the house. That way, he doesn't bark and annoy the neighbours while you are away and you are completely oblivious to barking your neighbours are forced to put up with.

My dog run was always locked when I was not home. Anyone who wanted to steal my dog would have had to cut a hole in the run or carry a 100lbs dog over a 6' fence.

Molly never did bark much but a case of mistaken barking dog and a threat of fines resulted in me putting her in the house.

My friends has someone let their dogs out of their yard. One was found safe and sound. The other had been hit by a car, which was not a surprise as the dog was old and deaf

Sometimes I really hate people.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Dog thieves with bad grammar....I miss the villain with the top hat and twirly mustache. More civilized...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Methinks there's a heckuva lot more to this story.
I agree.One of the best dogs I was ever privileged to have as my friend was tied to a tree for 3 months,starting from 6 weeks old.My sister in law stole him one day,30+ in the shade,no water,no food,laying in a big pile of his own poop.She brought him to me and after a bit of care that boy would walk off a cliff with me.
The people whined about it but they were a bunch of early 20`s druggy party azzholes and they soon forgot.I`m sure they found another puppy to stick in a garbage bag and blow pot smoke into.
Wiley ended up to be the smartest,most loyal and fun dog I ever had.If I stood up he would too,If I walked he would follow and lay down beside me when I sat.He swam like a fish,never had to leash him,acted like a true gentleman all his life.Sometimes a missing dog is a rescue.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I agree.One of the best dogs I was ever privileged to have as my friend was tied to a tree for 3 months,starting from 6 weeks old.My sister in law stole him one day,30+ in the shade,no water,no food,laying in a big pile of his own poop.She brought him to me and after a bit of care that boy would walk off a cliff with me.
The people whined about it but they were a bunch of early 20`s druggy party azzholes and they soon forgot.I`m sure they found another puppy to stick in a garbage bag and blow pot smoke into.
Wiley ended up to be the smartest,most loyal and fun dog I ever had.If I stood up he would too,If I walked he would follow and lay down beside me when I sat.He swam like a fish,never had to leash him,acted like a true gentleman all his life.Sometimes a missing dog is a rescue.
A friend of mine and her sister rescued a dog in Edmonton many years ago. It was neglected and chained all the time. She admitted it was not the "legally" correct thing to do but "morally" it was! Fozzie turned out to be an awesome dog for her for many years.
But...sometimes a missing dog is NOT a rescue. Watch out for your furry dawg friends!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post

^^ I agree and practice this wholeheartedly. My dogs aren't barkers, I know this because we "test" them lol but I think it is more responsible to leave them inside where they are "protected".

I know the neighbor kids sometimes kick a soccer ball over the fence and probably aren't as conscientious as I am about closing gates. I realize that some dog owners go to great lengths to build and provide high quality dog runs etc. but these can still be breached by a sicko intent on stealing your dog for resale or worse. Yes they could break into your house too but I think they are ultimately safer inside.

I hope this is the case of a dog rescue because it sickens & infuriates me to think that people are stealing them to use in dog fighting rings or worse?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Seems like thefts of dogs is on the rise in the last year or so. Where are they all going? most are chipped or tattooed so a trip to the vet/spca would find them. Weird to say the least.
well i would have to think the worst they are probably never to be found after practice for a pit bull and entertainment for people. i think these dogs would be useless for actual fighting
Old 05-29-2013, 03:27 PM

I found a friends dog once. Deceased. Convinced by evidence it was just used to train a fighting dog.
There is a cold place in hell for people like this. I wouldn't shed a tear to see the perp of that one go down that trail.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
I found a friends dog once. Deceased. Convinced by evidence it was just used to train a fighting dog.
There is a cold place in hell for people like this. I wouldn't shed a tear to see the perp of that one go down that trail.
As far as I`m concerned that`s a death penalty offence.I have some spare time right now,I`d be more than happy to deal with them.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:18 PM

If they are being used as fight bait, then i say put the perp in the ring with one as punisment. Aw heck put him in with two or three. Thats just sick if it's going on.