Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Omelettes- best way to have them (and I am bored lol)
mixed with veggies, meat, cheese prior to cooking 60 47.24%
french style, plain, yellow, soft inside 5 3.94%
veggies, meat, cheese folded in after cooked 68 53.54%
at Denny's or another restaurant because they suck to make 3 2.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM

Default Taco Omelette

In the late 90's we took our kids to a basketball camp in Spangle, Washington. One early morning after dropping the kids off we stopped at a roadside diner. My wife ordered the Taco Omelette. It took forever to prepare but, wow!!! We make it on special occasions or when we camp. Same as a taco. Beef, taco seasoning, egg. Topped with tomatoes, green onions, salsa, cheese, sour cream. Great recipe. BEL
Old 03-29-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
In the late 90's we took our kids to a basketball camp in Spangle, Washington. One early morning after dropping the kids off we stopped at a roadside diner. My wife ordered the Taco Omelette. It took forever to prepare but, wow!!! We make it on special occasions or when we camp. Same as a taco. Beef, taco seasoning, egg. Topped with tomatoes, green onions, salsa, cheese, sour cream. Great recipe. BEL
Oh boy! And I just happen to have all those ingredients left over from making tacos the other night!!! I’m on it!!!
Old 03-29-2020, 05:55 PM

Default Best time

And that is exactly the best time to do it, boone. BEL
Old 03-29-2020, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Generally younger chickens lay smaller eggs
Extra large eggs are better suited to baking than omelettes IMHO

Adding milk. water or cream will result in a custard which will give a softer set and result in smaller curd and making technique less critical.

Egg temp at the start of the process is a factor.
Simultaneous Double motion-both pan and utensil is helpful

One difference between scrambled eggs and omelettes is a few seconds of non motion to create set time to allow formation on a non colored envelope to encase the soft center
Old 03-29-2020, 07:54 PM

Not really a traditional omelette but still tasty way of using eggs for breakfast.
2 or 3 eggs blended with a banana. Fry like a pancake.

In my favorite omelette I use duck eggs. Similar to already mentioned recipes on the thread but with duck eggs. Duck eggs have such a nice texture and flavor and are a little bigger than chicken eggs. Highly recommend picking up a dozen if you see them anywhere.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-29-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
For omelettes, I put eggs, seasoning and milk (or light cream) into a bowl then whisk until it's a nice creamy texture. Pour it into a medium hot pan, preferably cast, that has been coated with butter. Top with whatever veggies/meat/cheese you want, cooked or uncooked. I prefer uncooked. Once eggs have a more solid texture, fold in half and let cook for a couple minutes. Flip and do the same on the other side. Take it out of the pan and let it sit for 3-5 minutes before eating. To me, cast gives it more flavor and it seems to cook more evenly.
Same here, 3 or 4 eggs & Milk and whip it up real good. I absolutely LOVE eggs.

I cook the bacon and whatever meat I'm gonna add in my cast pan and do the omelette in the bacon grease. They are usually LOTS of leftovers so I add whatever I can and add lots of Cilantro sauce for some zip and sprinkle some on some REALLY hot hot sauce.

When it's done cooking I'll sprinkle (more like smother) it with some shredded smoked Gouda or smoked Swiss to top it off.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:47 PM

Default So many techniques

For two people. Small coated frying pan. Squirt canola oil on the pan in threads (not to much), add chopped onions, and leave on medium heat until about half brown. Turn on the broiler to let it heat up.

Whisk 3 large eggs, add salt, pepper, chopped green pepper, black pepper (plus whatever) 1/3 to 1/2 cup of milk then pour over the onions. Leave uncovered and cook until the top starts to firm up (still some fluid).

Put under the broiler for a few minutes until top looks nicely done and is fluffed up. Toast and fruit is done while omelette cooks.

Remove from broiler, put a plate tightly over the pan and give it a flip. Ideally, omelette will flip onto the plate without breaking up. Or remove from broiler. Cut in half with a flipper and serve as such or fold each half over. Yummy and looks good as well.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:11 PM

Default Three secrets

Farm fresh eggs if you have access to them.

A touch of milk, not too much.

Beat a little corn starch into them , it makes then fluffy.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:37 PM

OK, fine, ya got me... I like omelettes...

Basic cheese omelette

Mushroom omelette

Spanish omelette (with smoked salsa )

Shrimp omelette

It's tough when you find leftovers in the fridge in the morning and you go "Would that make an omelette?"

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
If you don’t want them to stick, use clarified butter or olive oil (doesn’t stick, burns easily). For a change try lard...yup plain old lard, it barely ever sticks.
How dare ye name the devil La..

I don't know how fats got such a bad rep, but I do wonder how many people keep a 'lard pail' beside the stove.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
How dare ye name the devil La..

I don't know how fats got such a bad rep, but I do wonder how many people keep a 'lard pail' beside the stove.

ARG
I don’t but I keep a chunk in the fridge freezer and I cook with lard often.
It makes the brownest potatoes, cooks the best steak...

When I worked for chef Otto, we used to keep all the bacon fat ( we had lots) and render it so it would keep at room temp. There was a pot on the line all the time and we used it for lots of cooking. Yum.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:03 AM

Find a good quality non-stick pan and don't use it for anything but eggs. If your eggs stick to the pan you'll never make a good omelet. And whatever Jaques Pepin says, do that.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 AM

I understand that the french dont keep their eggs in the fridge.So room temp eggs make a better breakfast.Ive never tried, anyone else?
Old 03-30-2020, 09:46 AM

How long can you leave eggs unrefrigerated?
2 hours
After eggs are refrigerated, they need to stay that way. A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating the movement of bacteria into the egg and increasing the growth of bacteria. Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than 2 hours.

https://www.google.ca/search?sxsrf=A...sclient=psy-ab

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-30-2020, 09:58 AM

Cube meat
Cut spinach
Cut mushrooms
Prepare cheese.

Add margarine to the large pan.

Cook mushrooms half way
Add spinach
Cook till almost done. Add cooked meat such as smoked salmon or turkey or ham or back or sausage or all or combination thereof.

Stir till warmed and mushroom and spinach cooked.

Add beaten egg with salt and pepper mixed in to pan...put lid on top if you have one. Low medium heat.

Tease omelet with spatula just to let heat up in a few spots. Once cooked half through then flip and add shredded cheese on top.

Cook egg through. Fold over and serve.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-30-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Over the last few months I have given up bread, starches and have started eating breakfast again. I am trying to make the perfect french omelette. I have beaten the poached egg challenge, they turn out just beautifully. I do them the swirl method, best I have had.

Omelettes though are kicking my butt. I used to make them with filling; cheese, mushrooms, onions, peppers but the french omelette just looks so awesome, and for whatever reason the taste is better. If you can stop cooking before they brown at all, is my favorite.

I do not have the exact right frying pan, it is a nice rounded one but too big for a 2 or 3 egg omelette.

When postimage comes back online I will put some pics up, please add your recipes or pictures.

I am betting there are people in here that can make amazing omelettes.

Lets see them!
French omellette…………..so bourgeois

Make a western Omelette
Old 03-30-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
French omellette…………..so bourgeois

Make a western Omelette
Until I figured out how to make the French one, they were all western lol

nearly deep fried!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-30-2020, 10:44 AM

Its what you get used to. I like my eggs well cooked. I heat up a cast iron frying pan on medium heat so when I pour the egg mixture in I get some huge bubbles from the eggs. The whole process is done in about 30 seconds and I get a nice lightly tanned bottom on the omelette. then it easy to put in what other items you are using on one half fold it over and you are good to go.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Hey Ken, I love omelletes as well but have recently learned to make Fritattas. I put whatever I have in the fridge in them. diced ham, italian sausage, sauted onions, whatever you have and like. I precook the meats and onions a bit usually. Here is the basic model but they are worth it.

Frittata – Tomato & Leek

A hearty frittata is one of our favorite dishes for entertaining, since you can serve it warm or at room temperature. A large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet is a must for this recipe.
Ingredients
• 2 teaspoon oil, olive, extra-virgin
• 2 medium leek(s) cleaned and thinly sliced (white parts only)
• 8 large egg(s)
• 1/4 cup(s) milk, fat-free
• 1 pinch salt
• 1 pinch pepper, black ground
• 1/2 cup(s) cheese, cheddar, white, shredded
• 2 small tomato(es) (1 pound), thinly sliced crosswise
• 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Warm oil in 10-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add leeks; cook 8 minutes, until softened, stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low.
In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir in cheese. Pour over leek mixture in skillet. Gently lift up leek mixture to coat bottom of pan. Arrange tomato slices in overlapping pattern on top. Cook 8 minutes, until sides are set but mixture is still loose on top.
Transfer to oven, cook 10 minutes, until center is cooked through and tomatoes lightly browned. Remove from oven; run a rubber spatula around edges and underneath to loosen frittata from skillet. Slide onto serving platter and sprinkle with thyme. Cut into wedges.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:38 AM

It's all about temperature and the right amount of butter. I use med to med/high heat
Had some left over ground beef, green onion, red pepper, cheddar and black olives from a taco salad.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:41 AM

I am a master with them, I have several ways of folding them too. I put lotsa stuff in. I whip the eggs with a small amount of milk to give flex when I do the fold. My fam loves them...in fact I think I will do one up now for my boys here with some cheddar, pepper and green onion with a side of toast
Old 04-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Very nice everyone!

I tried a 2 egg omelette for lunch, had everything ready and tried a different pot. Had the heat on fairly low, but 1 stir and they were essentially scrambled eggs. Made a sausage mcmuffin instead. It was delicious.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:26 PM

Like them fluffy, bake in oven and toss in a pinch of baking powder!!
Old 04-04-2020, 02:01 PM

I like a nice Rumaki Omelette
Old 04-04-2020, 02:20 PM

I grew up in France. Eggs, butter, cheese and the like was never refrigerated. You can keep eggs a long time if they are kept cool but not in the fridge. Room temp eggs definitely make better omelettes, french toast, Yorkshire Pudding or anything where you want the eggs to come out light and fluffy.

Anything that is going to go into the Western omelette like, mushrooms, truffles, vegetables, onion get cooked in a separate pan with the cheese melted over the cooked items and then added to the omelette during the finishing fold. I like two kinds of omelettes, plain french style egg with no seasoning beyond salt and pepper, and Western style. Eggs should never come out brown in either.

With the Western style a little garlic and some Oregano goes a long ways in rounding out the flavour profiles.Other version of Western I like has Chile Flakes and hot sauce mixed in with the other fillings.

I also like Fritatas but they aren't technically an omelette, they are just a bunch of stuff held together by eggs. Sort of the Mexican version of Quiche.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:33 PM
Gone Hunting

I have no idea what sort of omelettes I make, I just put some eggs with salt and pepper in a pan and fry them. Add some cheese and stuff and fold.

Some times I mix the cheese and stuff to the eggs before cooking, some times I add them after the eggs are cooked to almost firm.

Sometimes I use cheese by itself, sometimes I add meat, some times some veggies, some times all of the above.

I seldom follow any sort of a recipe. I do that with a lot of things I cook.

That's the way I learned to cook. Using whatever is on hand to make a meal.

I also use nothing but cast iron pans for frying. We have about ten I think.
From one eggs size up to big enough to fry a dozen in.

I also won't use plastic bowls.

Our eggs are always farm fresh when we get them. My sister and our next door neighbor supplies all we can use and more.

It's part of why I wouldn't live anywhere else.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-04-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
open fridge...take out left overs and four eggs...chop up leftovers...mix it all up and pour into pan.

don't have to get all fancy and all.....
YUP X2 if you don't want fancy French schmansy
Old 04-04-2020, 04:32 PM

I love omelettes. I usually ask what, would like in it and prepare. Pretty much all here have the perfect technique to accomplish the desired tasty morsel we are looking for. Take all or some of the technics and combine with your own art of making breakfast or brunch and let the volunteers decide what is tasty. No I am not going to give you my way. To me cooking is an experiment of taste and texture. Baking is an art

Last edited by barbless; 04-04-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:16 PM

Just had a ham and cheese omelette for supper with homemade hash browns was excellent

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Put your eggs in a bowl. Mix in about 1 tsp of cold water and beat your eggs.

Pan fry whatever filling you want and when it's done, put it in a bowl beside the stove.

When you're ready to pop your eggs in the frying pan, start the broiler in your oven and put a rack up at the top. Put your eggs in the pan.

Once your eggs have started to cook and the bottom of the omelette is solid, put in your fixings. (Obviously you don't have to....I like my fixings actually cooked into the omelette not sitting on top or bottom) When the eggs are cooked about half way through, put the pan in the oven on the top rack under the broiler and watch over it so it doesn't burn.

Omelettes become very fluffy when you broil them like this.

I like some veggies and ham in mine........my wife likes just cheese so I typically only make a cheese omelette.

The cheese is the last thing that goes in.........I pull the pan out from under the broiler and put the cheese on 1/2 of the omelette and fold it and serve.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***